Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 03:32 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,025,342 times

Advertisements

The fact that he is expected to pay most of the time when dating several women seems like it would be harder to stock money away. Most women can multi-date and not expected to pay for anything but if a man goes on three 1st dates he is expected to pay on all of those dates. Plus whatever I take out of my account to save the money that is left over has to last me 4 weeks because I can only save once a month. The check I take money out of is the non-rent check which is the middle of the month check. The last check of the month goes mostly toward rent and I have about $115 or a little more leftover. I haven't dated since December and I can already see the difference in my account from January to April. But once I start going out on dates again that's when I feel everything changes. Plus if you hit it off with a women she doesn't offer to pay until date 3 or 4 so that's another reason why saving may become challenging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2016, 03:37 PM

22,557 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Nope. You have it easier than a parent (male OR female!) of multiple kids!

Old 04-16-2016, 03:40 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,025,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Nope. You have it easier than a parent (male OR female!) of multiple kids!
I guess the real solution is to find a job paying more so more would be left over. Right now I am able to save about $400 a month and that should increase to $600 a year from now once I eliminate the debt of one of my credit cards.

Old 04-16-2016, 03:41 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,436,414 times
You may be right. I'm a saver and seem to be able to put something back no matter what and I'm from the generation where women rarely paid for dating expenses, so that makes a difference.

Old 04-16-2016, 03:41 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,908,221 times
No.

All of the money that I have saved during periods of time when I am single, ultimately always got spent very quickly when in a relationship.

Jewelry, Coach purses and trips to Fiji and Cabo can get expensive.

All totally worth it though.

Old 04-16-2016, 04:13 PM

189 posts, read 176,352 times
It's still better than trying to save as a single woman (assuming she is also trying to date) - she has to spend money on 'going out' dresses, shoes, jewelry, make up, hair products, etc, in addition to female-only expenses like birth control, tampons (or other menses control products). The guy she's dating can easily request a cheap/free date or to split expenses, but she would still be expected to spend all that money on personal upkeep. You can't tell me that a guy's haircut and shaving plus clothes which are easily reusable for interviews/work add up to more than what a woman has to spend..

Old 04-16-2016, 04:26 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,721,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
No.

All of the money that I have saved during periods of time when I am single, ultimately always got spent very quickly when in a relationship.

Jewelry, Coach purses and trips to Fiji and Cabo can get expensive.

All totally worth it though.
Those are all optional. I barely budge for a movie or a dinner even though I could buy 2 tickets to Japan without it affecting me. I have that money because I'm
A miser.

Old 04-16-2016, 04:46 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,102,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renter16 View Post
The fact that he is expected to pay most of the time when dating several women seems like it would be harder to stock money away. Most women can multi-date and not expected to pay for anything but if a man goes on three 1st dates he is expected to pay on all of those dates. Plus whatever I take out of my account to save the money that is left over has to last me 4 weeks because I can only save once a month. The check I take money out of is the non-rent check which is the middle of the month check. The last check of the month goes mostly toward rent and I have about $115 or a little more leftover. I haven't dated since December and I can already see the difference in my account from January to April. But once I start going out on dates again that's when I feel everything changes. Plus if you hit it off with a women she doesn't offer to pay until date 3 or 4 so that's another reason why saving may become challenging.
I'm probably going to get slammed for this, but it sounds like you're dating the wrong women. In my limited experience, professional women aren't looking to be "kept." At least early on (before the relationship becomes committed) want to avoid being seen as "beholden" to the guy so they are likely to also contribute to early dates - or at least be sensitive to the cost. If you're dating a woman who doesn't seem to care, you might dating a "princess." Nothing wrong with that, just go into it with open eyes.

You also mention challenges with paying dating expenses out of one check. Try budgeting your money throughout the month, so that you're splitting the cost of rent over both pay checks, rather than paying it all out of one.

Finally, dating multiple women can be expensive, and draining emotionally as well. Maybe slow down a little and take the time to explore relationships more patiently. It's cheaper, and may give you a better read on your date as a potential long term partner. Just my thoughts.

Old 04-16-2016, 04:51 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
But you're presumably making more money than she is, since there is still no such thing as equal pay. Maybe you should start asking out more independent women who will split the tab. Or choose cheaper places to dine.

Old 04-16-2016, 05:06 PM

2,529 posts, read 1,860,003 times
Women are expensive. So no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance