Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 09:30 PM

6,738 posts, read 2,906,352 times

Advertisements

I have two metal wine bottle containers I would guess to be about 3 or 4 inches in diameter by roughly a foot tall, one completely full of quarters, the other about half full. Another similar container full of nickles and dimes, along with six $2 dollar bills and a few half dollars. How much money in 20-30 lbs of quarters??
I used to get a lot of change when I was working and going to lunch with the guys, because I would use cash and always had change, which I would never spend.
Since I retired I only go to lunch with the wife and/or kid, so I use a CC and don't get a lot of change anymore.
What am I going to do with all of that change, I have no clue, the kid will probably enjoy my efforts when I'm gone...
Oh, and finding a penny on the street is a special treat. Just tonight I was bugging my wife to find the pants I was wearing Saturday because there was money in the pocket. She handed me the pants and I proceeded to remove three pennies from the pocket that I found in front of the pizza parlor the other day. She said, "Thats the money you were crying about?"
Hey, whatever flicks your bic...!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 09:49 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,186,006 times
I keep a jar on the desk and take it to coinstar when it get's heavy. It's empty right now but I've got about $4 in change in my purse.

Old 04-18-2016, 11:19 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,036,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy ol' Man View Post
I have two metal wine bottle containers I would guess to be about 3 or 4 inches in diameter by roughly a foot tall, one completely full of quarters, the other about half full. Another similar container full of nickles and dimes, along with six $2 dollar bills and a few half dollars. How much money in 20-30 lbs of quarters??
I used to get a lot of change when I was working and going to lunch with the guys, because I would use cash and always had change, which I would never spend.
Since I retired I only go to lunch with the wife and/or kid, so I use a CC and don't get a lot of change anymore.
What am I going to do with all of that change, I have no clue, the kid will probably enjoy my efforts when I'm gone...
Oh, and finding a penny on the street is a special treat. Just tonight I was bugging my wife to find the pants I was wearing Saturday because there was money in the pocket. She handed me the pants and I proceeded to remove three pennies from the pocket that I found in front of the pizza parlor the other day. She said, "Thats the money you were crying about?"
Hey, whatever flicks your bic...!!
Wait for a rainy day, then count it all up, roll it, and deposit it in the bank or spend it on something you've been wanting for a long time. Counting coins doesn't take all that long. I tend to do it in stacks. For example, there are 50 pennies to make a roll, so I'll count out five stacks of ten pennies and stack them so that they touch each other. That way, if I miscount, I can see that one stack is shorter or taller than the others.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:35 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,354,470 times
Where I live, the banks will make you unroll it and run it through a change counting machine. Better idea: take the whole container in a run it through a Coinstar machine at the grocery store. Rather than taking the money as cash, for which Coinstar charges a fee, take it as a grocery credit for which you will receive the full amount. I do this every couple of months, because I use cash frequently, so the change builds up.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:38 AM

35,051 posts, read 31,251,460 times
Probably $10-$20 in various baskets and mugs at home. I keep most quarters in the car for vacuuming.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:08 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,467,632 times
About $500ish in my jug, because it's full and that's about where it usually is when I turn it in.

I collect coins, so I make it a point to use cash and make change. I collect bills and coins and have gotten quite a bit from circulation. Once in a while i'll even grab rolls from a bank to search for silver and old cents/nickels. So all that change I go through ends up in my 5 gal bucket.

Now that I'm thinking about it. It's time to go cash it in. Good thing my bank has a free coin counter in there.

I also have a lot of numismatic grade coins...but that's for a different forum

Old 04-19-2016, 01:59 PM

32,632 posts, read 47,964,911 times
I spend mine. I have a pocket on my purse for change and I use it as my "treat" money. I like those Costco mixed frozen yogurts and if I am in Costco, I buy one and pay for it with loose change. (Big disappointment when Costco stopped selling the hand dipped ice cream bars.)

I'll use it to buy bottles of water when I am traveling. I'll use it to pay for assorted small purchases just to get it used up. I'll use it at the post office.

I usually don't get over about $4 worth of change.

My son had to pick up all of his dad's stuff. Going through it, there was loose change everywhere and about $5 in face value of silver coins, so worth going through all the change coin by coin. Although a sad way to acquire silver coins.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:06 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,673,706 times
I have two Mason jars that I put change in, and when they are full I take it to the bank. It's always between $80 and $90.

Back when I had babies and toddlers, we would talk a long walk with the dog every day. I picked up any coins I saw along the way, and it was a rare day when I didn't find even a penny. I kept them in a jar and cashed it in once a year. Always $30-35 per year just from picking up change on the street.

I thought it was interesting that the coins I picked up were, in order of frequency: pennies, quarters, dimes, then nickels. Nickels were kind of uncommon. Only once I found a dollar coin.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:16 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,318,260 times
About $20 worth in each car, about $200 in my change drawer, About $50 worth on the desk next to me, but this is just the currency coins I have.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:22 PM

2,170 posts, read 1,952,022 times
I used to know a girl who was a bartender a few nights a week. She kept a big empty plastic pretzel jar hidden behind the bar. Most people will leave any change they get on their bill as part of the tip, she would take the change and put it in the jar, a lot of the other bartenders would also add to the jar as they didn't care about the change. Every year she would end up with 2 jars full of change. She'd take them to be cashed in around xmas time and would walk away with like $3,000 in cash!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance