Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 07:16 AM

177 posts, read 201,804 times

Advertisements

Have fun paying common-law alimony after the divorce too lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 07:30 AM

958 posts, read 2,574,120 times
i now pronounce you husband and wife.

You may pay her bills

Old 04-27-2016, 08:16 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,984,752 times
Thanks for making my morning.

I enjoy a good laugh during morning coffee.

Now I am wondering how do you file divorce from common law marriage.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:18 AM

986 posts, read 1,272,628 times
Aw, come on everyone. He trusted his girlfriend and got burned. That sucks. Cut him some slack. People get betrayed in other ways by the ones they love and trust and we don't blame them for trusting, do we?

Old 04-27-2016, 08:27 AM

186 posts, read 209,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLadyK View Post
Aw, come on everyone. He trusted his girlfriend and got burned. That sucks. Cut him some slack. People get betrayed in other ways by the ones they love and trust and we don't blame them for trusting, do we?
You're right. They probably both didn't realize what was gonna happen. Benefit of the doubt and stuff. But in the end... it's really just a stupid, hard lesson he learned. And an unexpected victory for his gf. (I mean, can we just give her some props here? Girl just totally won at the whole paying off student debt thing. AND without a job, to boot! *Dap*)

Should have spent a little more time on Google, it sounds like.

And now... here they are having their first fight as a married couple. Awww!

Old 04-27-2016, 08:36 AM

2,359 posts, read 1,035,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post

Now I am wondering how do you file divorce from common law marriage.
In Texas, the same way as in a traditional marriage.

Funny how the OP's wife/GF "doesn't remember" her student debt being as large as it apparently was.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:04 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,054 times
Honestly it sounds like the OP was committing fraud by claiming common-law marriage for the sole purpose of the much larger tax refund. The OP's bolded statement reveals something very different from a marriage mindset.

Sucks that it backfired. If you do end up staying married, common-law or otherwise, just be relieved to no longer have that debt hanging over the both of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas6023 View Post
TCS 449 tax refund of only 100 dollars for filing a joint return with my gf this year. We have been together for almost three years and figured we would get more tax breaks if we filed a married joint return which technically we are considered common law married.. But I had no idea she had so much debt to her name. My return was expected to be $9,550 dollars and I got a whopping $100 bucks back. I called a 800 number and it said I had no debt but when gf called it claimed she had debt from schooling. She doesn't recall it being that much debt. Could this be a scam? It's only been two weeks since I e-filed my taxes.

Is there anyway I can amend my tax return and just file separately since we technically are not married anyway?

Is there anything I can do to keep me from giving my gf a free ride on clearing her debt? My gf doesn't work so I don't feel I should have to be responsible for her debt and much less all in one lump sum..

Who can I call to confirm this amount is actually true?

I mean 9,000 dollars worth of school debt.. She doesn't even have a degree for crying out loud!!

Old 04-27-2016, 09:13 AM

455 posts, read 525,365 times
Can i just say that I'm impressed that the GF only had $9K of school debt?

Old 04-27-2016, 09:44 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,442,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
Honestly it sounds like the OP was committing fraud by claiming common-law marriage for the sole purpose of the much larger tax refund. The OP's bolded statement reveals something very different from a marriage mindset.

Sucks that it backfired. If you do end up staying married, common-law or otherwise, just be relieved to no longer have that debt hanging over the both of you.
Karma is a B**CH. To the OP, I am sure the govt will just hand over that money when you explain everything (sarcasm).

Old 04-27-2016, 09:46 AM

958 posts, read 2,574,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post

In all seriousness. What they did I do not think is tax fraud.

Think of it aS stupid tax and move on. The loan would have to be repaid at some point and will only grow.

We've all paid our share of stupid tax. Part of getting old
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance