Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2016, 11:31 AM

2,182 posts, read 1,627,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Oh yeah. I have a friend with whom I like to hang out, but I always have to think before I speak because she is nosy as all get-out and likes to know everyone's business. She tells me things about other friends' finances, so I have no doubt she would tell mine. I am retired, but made a pretty decent salary for a person without a college degree. However, I know that telling people what I make automatically brings judgment into the picture (what is she doing with all that money? Why is she in debt if she makes THAT?)

Last year when I was contemplating taking retirement and finding a more local job, she said, "I see jobs advertised or hear of certain things from time to time, but I don't know if they'd be right for you because I don't know how much money you make." Followed by an expectant stare. I just laughed and changed the subject.

She and another woman buy the software and do taxes for some people in the neighborhood for a modest fee. She asked me who does my taxes. I told her I do my own using TurboTax. Never in a million years would I let this woman see my personal finances. I pretty much know all the details of the finances of all the other people she does taxes for, and I've never even met some of them.
First of all, if your friend is doing peoples taxes and then revealing their clients personal info to other people I think she could get into some trouble at some point. I would hope so. Please tell her so next time she tells you what she knows about someone else. Tell her out of concern for her getting into trouble. I think if you word it that way she may stop telling you at least and maybe think about what shes doing to other people that are trusting her and paying her money for that trust. You would be doing them a favor because shes horrible and I'm sure all those people have no idea shes betraying them.

I have a previous post in this thread describing where I was on a ski lift with a friend doing this so I couldn't leave. I don't care how many times you change the subject he just keeps trying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2016, 01:03 PM

106,561 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
But sharing in a forum is different than face to face. I understand what you're saying in a way because at one point I picked up a book that can't remember the title of now, wish I could. It advised above all else that if you want to improve your life look into increasing your wealth. Went on to explain how the belief that money is the root of all evil is really backward. It's true. Poverty is the root of all evil and if everyone could manage their finances better there would be less crime. Good book. Written by someone who shared. I know it helped me.

Our own personal experience in sharing with people hasn't turned out so good for us. So what am I doing wrong?
i have no idea what you are doing wrong or the context and root of the conversation .

Old 05-07-2016, 01:07 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,251,947 times
She's a woman talking to other women. That's what it is.

Old 05-07-2016, 01:32 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
To me there is a difference between salary and financial status.
To me as well, but the OP's original post was referring almost exclusively to salary. And that's the one part of a person's overall financial situation that is is genuinely hard to conceal. (And as I mentioned with the Lily Ledbetter case, there are some strong arguments for why it actually shouldn't be completely concealed in many cases.)

Like you, I think common sense, basic manners, and a reasonable amount of discretion are better than a blanket "never talk about money!" rule. I've never been in a social situation where the topic would have been appropriate conversation, but my very close friends and immediate family do have a pretty good idea of where I stand financially, and I think that's fine.

Old 05-07-2016, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrieros81 View Post
She's a woman talking to other women. That's what it is.
Wrong. The worse case of this was my husband talking about real estate investments with someone we know. Also a man. In fact, he's more likely to give it away than I am because he loves talking about what he does and he's a lot more trusting. You have no reason to insult me. I've done nothing to you.

Old 05-07-2016, 01:37 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,102,653 times
Quote:
But sharing in a forum is different than face to face. I understand what you're saying in a way because at one point I picked up a book that can't remember the title of now, wish I could. It advised above all else that if you want to improve your life look into increasing your wealth. Went on to explain how the belief that money is the root of all evil is really backward. It's true. Poverty is the root of all evil and if everyone could manage their finances better there would be less crime. Good book. Written by someone who shared. I know it helped me.

Our own personal experience in sharing with people hasn't turned out so good for us. So what am I doing wrong?
The expression that is often (mis)quoted is that, "the love of money is the root of all evil." I think that is more accurate than, "poverty" being the root. There are many upstanding and moral poor people. Bernie Madoff certainly wasn't impoverished (or even close).

In reality there are also a lot of moral people who are focused on increasing their wealth who aren't necessarily either. The most accurate expression might be that "greed is the root of much of the evil in the world" - can't even say "all."

Old 05-07-2016, 01:41 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,251,947 times
Quote:
Wrong. The worse case of this was my husband talking about real estate investments with someone we know. Also a man. In fact, he's more likely to give it away than I am because he loves talking about what he does and he's a lot more trusting. You have no reason to insult me. I've done nothing to you.
I wasn't insulting you. I was projecting based on my own experience (female here too).

It's probably more accurate to say that personal finance and wealth are sensitive subjects for many people.

Old 05-08-2016, 05:34 AM

106,561 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
The expression that is often (mis)quoted is that, "the love of money is the root of all evil." I think that is more accurate than, "poverty" being the root. There are many upstanding and moral poor people. Bernie Madoff certainly wasn't impoverished (or even close).

In reality there are also a lot of moral people who are focused on increasing their wealth who aren't necessarily either. The most accurate expression might be that "greed is the root of much of the evil in the world" - can't even say "all."
lack of money seems to be the root of most evil

Old 05-08-2016, 04:15 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
lack of money seems to be the root of most evil
Not even close, many people with little to no money are not evil and I don't think Ted Bundy lacked money........

Old 05-08-2016, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Not even close, many people with little to no money are not evil and I don't think Ted Bundy lacked money........
If you had to walk through a strange neighborhood at night would you feel safer in a rich more affluent place or the poorest ghetto neighborhood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance