Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2016, 12:30 AM

9 posts, read 11,260 times

Advertisements

I learned very early on in my professional career not to talk about finances with friends or family. People do change the way they treat you.

I was dating one guy for awhile when I landed my first salaried job after finishing school. Because he was my boyfriend, I shared all the details about the salary negotiations, the sign-on bonus, the whole experience. He started expecting me to pay for all the meals after that.

And the guy I dated before him once got mad at me because I had some savings but didn't offer to help him out when he was struggling to pay bills. At the time, I earned less than he did because I was still only waiting tables. But I was better at managing my money. For example, I stuck with a cheap $15/month phone plan as opposed to his $100/month plan.

I don't talk finances with my family because it only adds drama and pressure. As soon as I landed my first salaried job, my parents were pressuring me to buy a house and buy a new car--neither of which I needed or was financially ready for. I had paid my own way through college and didn't ever go to them for help, so they had no idea how much I owed for student loans or what kind of financial shape I was in.

In fact, they still don't know. I prefer keeping it that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 06:05 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,972,433 times
One of the best thing to ever happen to corporate executives is the requirement to report their earnings to the public via 10-K's, etc, and the same thing with athletes. While it's a little awkward knowing that everyone knows how much you make, it quickly dissipates as they're laughing all the way to the bank. Keeping employee's wages secret allows companies to suppress wages...because no one really knows what the new guy is getting paid.

Here's how it works: newly named CFO at company ABC with $5 billion in sales can see how much the CFO makes at their biggest competitor at a comparable size....so they know where to start the negotiations----I want what that guy makes plus 10% more. After hiring, annual raises and bonuses are based off what executives at "peer" companies make---it's a never ending escalation of wages....and a beautiful thing if you're part of the chosen few (which I'm not unfortunately).

Old 05-09-2016, 06:21 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Let me give a simple example.

Person A : Their elderly aunt dies and leaves them $200K, they keep it to themselves. If they're married their spouse knows, but that's about it.

Person B: Their elderly aunt dies and leaves them $200K, but they tell all their friends, neighbors, coworkers, etc. Now they're getting asked for loans. Not from everyone of course, but it can very likely come up. I mean why not? It's found money they weren't expecting, how dare they so no to loaning out $5K.

It's not that hard of a concept.
In my case, a $200K inheritance would barely budge the needle. Anybody can take a glance at my life and figure out what I make within 20% or so and roughly what my net worth might be.

A half dozen people have said the same thing to you in this thread. If you're afraid that your friends knowing you have a bank balance and a decent income stream would flood you with beggars hitting you up for money, you have a really lousy circle of friends.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:43 AM

143 posts, read 133,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Hmmm. A colleague of mine a year ago or so openly said that his parents put money away for his college but he got scholarships to cover it all and his parents said he could later use the money for a down payment on a house. All of it was said in mixed company!!!
I though that to qualify for scholarships you had to show financial need so that if he had money saved up for college he wouldn't qualify for a scholarship.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
Are you allowed to think you are smarter and prettier?
Being smarter, being prettier, and making more money are all different things. Sure, being smarter, and sometimes being prettier can help you make more money but that doesn't mean that just because you're smarter or prettier than someone that you will make more money than them or vice versa.

Smarts, good looks, and income are all different things.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
You ARE better... at making more money!

Seriously, though, did someone make you feel bad by acting like they are better than you? Is that why you started this thread?
If you make more money than somebody else it might be because you're better at it than them, or it just might mean you're luckier or you've had the time to develop more marketable skills.

I started this thread because I see people who make more money throwing their weight around and pushing around those who make less, especially in families.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:04 AM

1,951 posts, read 1,635,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Not even close, many people with little to no money are not evil and I don't think Ted Bundy lacked money........
If you had to walk through a strange neighborhood at night would you feel safer in a rich more affluent place or the poorest ghetto neighborhood?
Part of the ugly truth is there is a correlation between wealth and crime rates.

A lack of money might not be causing the evil, but they sure seem to show up at the same parties a lot.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:05 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddSteel View Post
I though that to qualify for scholarships you had to show financial need so that if he had money saved up for college he wouldn't qualify for a scholarship.
No, you're confusing pell grants with merit-based scholarships.

Old 05-09-2016, 02:08 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,544,447 times
I don't really care if people know how much money I make. I don't understand what the big deal is. There are more important things to keep a secret.

Old 05-09-2016, 02:37 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,245,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
I don't really care if people know how much money I make. I don't understand what the big deal is. There are more important things to keep a secret.
That is fine...YOU don't care. But some people really judge people by the number and can get weird.

This topic is silly at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance