Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2016, 02:45 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,548,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms493 View Post
That is fine...YOU don't care. But some people really judge people by the number and can get weird.

This topic is silly at this point.
Agreed completely. I understand how people are judged, including me, but it doesn't change a thing.

It is stupid to judge someone on their finances. I think there are many people who are happier in life making less money than being stressed out and wealthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 02:52 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,986,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jms493 View Post
This topic is silly at this point.
At this point? The topic was silly from the beginning.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:04 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,827,454 times
In many parts of the our society, we still judge people's intelligence based on how much money they earn.

This morning, I heard on Dave Ramsey's radio.

Dave: You make $130k per year, stupid people don't make $130k per year.

WTF Dave, so people make $20k per year are stupid?

If you find out one of your friends earns $1M / per year, what is your impression of him/her? Think about that.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:34 AM

2,181 posts, read 1,628,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnetworking View Post
In many parts of the our society, we still judge people's intelligence based on how much money they earn.

This morning, I heard on Dave Ramsey's radio.

Dave: You make $130k per year, stupid people don't make $130k per year.

WTF Dave, so people make $20k per year are stupid?

If you find out one of your friends earns $1M / per year, what is your impression of him/her? Think about that.
Rather than what you make, I think your net worth by a certain age can be very telling as far as how smart you are. For example how many athletes have there been that make multi millions and are broke a few short years after their career ends? It happens because they aren't smart. Yet there are plenty of examples of people making a lot less money that figure out how to live very comfortably by retirement. Yes, I definitely think there is a connection between net worth and intelligence, just income maybe not.

Old 05-10-2016, 11:16 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,915,195 times
Interesting topic - lots of dissenting opinions. My family and friends all tend to discuss these things openly with me, and I have lots of friends far more well off than I. I don't expect them to pay for things (in fact when they do I usually decline). I'm currently looking for a new job, and I've had some frank discussions with friends about salary negotiation and what I should aim for.

My mother is 61, and since my dad passed away 5 years ago, I've been deeply involved in her finances. Every time I log into my bank account, her accounts pop up as well.

I think open conversation is a good thing. As the lesser off person in most of these conversations, I've never wanted to ask someone for a loan strictly on the basis of them having more than I do. In fact, I have a lot of knowledge that has proven helpful to friends, and that would not be the case without candid conversations.

Old 05-10-2016, 12:02 PM

1,951 posts, read 1,636,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
Rather than what you make, I think your net worth by a certain age can be very telling as far as how smart you are. For example how many athletes have there been that make multi millions and are broke a few short years after their career ends? It happens because they aren't smart. Yet there are plenty of examples of people making a lot less money that figure out how to live very comfortably by retirement. Yes, I definitely think there is a connection between net worth and intelligence, just income maybe not.
Exactly.

It's not what you make, it's what you keep.

Old 05-10-2016, 12:08 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
If anything, I don't think it gets brought up enough, as long as it's not in a condescending "I have more than you" manner. One of the biggest problems with personal finance in this country is people are poorly educated on it and lack information.

Old 05-10-2016, 12:22 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,628,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
If anything, I don't think it gets brought up enough, as long as it's not in a condescending "I have more than you" manner. One of the biggest problems with personal finance in this country is people are poorly educated on it and lack information.
That is the absolute truth. Finance isn't taught in school. What would be wrong with changing that?

Old 05-10-2016, 12:38 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,252,874 times
Quote:
That is the absolute truth. Finance isn't taught in school. What would be wrong with changing that?
Equality

Old 05-10-2016, 12:49 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,548,803 times
Quote:
Classroom education is better than nothing, but in terms of effectiveness, I believe that first-hand experience > second-hand experience > reading and lectures

Open discussions about personal finances should help you learn from the first two, and ideally all three.

Last edited by Mr. Zero; 05-10-2016 at 01:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance