Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 01:52 PM

462 posts, read 549,469 times

Advertisements

I think the Roth IRA is the best way to go personally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 02:01 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,163,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbach View Post
I think the Roth IRA is the best way to go personally.
But, you can only withdraw contributions before you are 59.5. I will only be in my late 40s when my daughter attends college, so I would only have access to about $100k assuming I started right when she was born.

Old 05-11-2016, 03:23 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,560,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
But, you can only withdraw contributions before you are 59.5. I will only be in my late 40s when my daughter attends college, so I would only have access to about $100k assuming I started right when she was born.
I think that's a pretty good dent combined with your personal retirement as an option if she didn't need it

Old 05-11-2016, 03:39 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,163,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I think that's a pretty good dent combined with your personal retirement as an option if she didn't need it
I guess that depends though, doesn't it? If we assume even a continual 3% tuition growth rate over the next 18 years.

If we are talking about a local in-state school that is currently charging $10k/yr for tuition it will be about $17.1k/yr when she goes to school. But, if I would like her to attend (and she gets in) a school like Harvard that is currently $48k/yr for tuition now we are talking about over $81k/yr for tuition alone. It would cover the in-state, but would barely cover a year at Harvard.

Now having said that, I don't believe Harvard will cost the average middle class person $81k/yr to attend in 18 years, but even if it is half that. Contributing $2-3k/yr to a 529 wouldn't be overkill in either scenario, especially after factoring in room and board.

If your kid decides not to go to college you do have to pay a penalty, but if they go to college and get scholarships you can withdraw an amount equal to the scholarship penalty and tax free. So it really comes down to whether or not you think your kid may or may not go to college.

Even if you decide to use a Roth it assumes you are contributing to a Roth. I try to put as much in my traditional IRA as I can, so we really only end up putting in about $5k/yr in a Roth, the other $6k we can fit into the TIRA at this stage in our lives. Bottom line, it's definitely an option, I don't plan on making it my main option to finance my kids college. A bigger problem also comes into play if you have 2-3 kids to split the Roth money amongst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance