Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 08:43 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,565,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Yes, the government has a good idea about how much money is in your bank account. First, they have your work withholding for federal tax, so they know how much money you make. Then if you earn investment income, you get a 1099 form, which shows how much income you made off your investments, which they can then apply statistical tables to get a pretty good idea how much you have in your accounts.

The only loop hole is tax, but if you try to convert cash into other types of money (bank account, investments, etc) it passes through forms which are then reported to the government.

Your regular bank account is insured by the FDIC (the F is federal) so how much money is in bank accounts is reported to the Feds so they can manage the FDIC insurance policies.

None of this means the govt knows how much money is in your account. The FDIC exposure is a total sum the bank keeps track of not individual reporting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 12:53 PM

5,263 posts, read 6,398,312 times
Quote:
The FDIC exposure is a total sum the bank keeps track of not individual reporting
How do you figure? If the FDIC has to pay out, then they will know the number of accounts and the balance in each one, they wouldn't leave it up to the bank to have the only copy of balances because it would be easy to adjust those for fraudulent purposes.

And fine. There are tiny edge cases where people whose income is insanely variable whose income wouldn't be very accurate based on tax forms, but for everyone else, they know.

Old 05-24-2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:
How do you figure? If the FDIC has to pay out, then they will know the number of accounts and the balance in each one, they wouldn't leave it up to the bank to have the only copy of balances because it would be easy to adjust those for fraudulent purposes.

If FDIC has to payout, if. They (the FDIC )don't maintain a customer balance for every customer at every bank. When a bank fails typically another bank takes them over, if not the FDIC steps and only at that point would they have the granular data they don't get it on an ongoing basis just to have it

Old 05-24-2016, 12:57 PM

Quote:

And fine. There are tiny edge cases where people whose income is insanely variable whose income wouldn't be very accurate based on tax forms, but for everyone else, they know.

Also incorrect. Knowing my tax situation wouldn't tell you how much I have in the bank it's a false assertion on your part

Old 05-24-2016, 01:55 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,533,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Balances aren't reported to the govt.
Interest is, math can work back to amount

Old 05-24-2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
Interest is, math can work back to amount
I earned 172.00 in my savings account last year, what's my balance? I also earned zero in my checking account can you give me that balance as well?

Also do you believe there is someone estimating or reverse working up everyone's balances?

Old 05-24-2016, 02:08 PM

106,555 posts, read 108,696,306 times
The only thing tracked is aggregate amounts in things collectively, not individual holdings . The main survey that looks at what americans have is the acs survey that goes out as a random sampling with the census.

Pew does some informal random samplings too

Last edited by mathjak107; 05-24-2016 at 02:42 PM..

Old 05-24-2016, 02:40 PM

4 posts, read 4,263 times
How do I get MY heiritig back when I know that my hand print from my left hand,Would open 1 bank vault on the west coast Bakersfield CA?

Shaun Sink [email]shaunsink@yahoo.com[/email]

Old 05-24-2016, 02:51 PM

Noteried By Arnold Schwartseniger One Page singed with a Blue Ballpoint Pen 2004 0r 2005 it started a contract 2006.
It has BEEN in circulation EVERY Cince.James and Rose Marie Neff had a will at a Bank in Bakersfield, I left a TAPE and a check I had wrote in 2002 to open the account

It should Be the Biggest you have ever seen, Acount # on the back My # 1 541 981 9264

PLUSS it had ins, American Bankers and Life Miaemie FL

Old 05-24-2016, 02:54 PM

The accounts that I bought you can no longer get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance