Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 01:05 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,565,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
I have plenty of savings and a stable stream of cash going into savings every month. I'll take my 15 year mortgage, pay less interest to the banks, and have freedom at 45.
And we arent talking about your mortgage rare your recommendation

Quote:
Even if you save the 30k in 5 years and decide to put it on the mortgage, you're STILL paying more interest up front on a 30 yr.

There is more interest paid but it wouldn't be 100k pre tax. It also doesn't take into account that between year 5-15 you'd also have another 60k saved up. Alternatively it doesn't take into account the possibility that you'd make an equivalent 15 payment on your 30 year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2016, 02:03 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,117,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
And we arent talking about your mortgage rare your recommendation

There is more interest paid but it wouldn't be 100k pre tax. It also doesn't take into account that between year 5-15 you'd also have another 60k saved up. Alternatively it doesn't take into account the possibility that you'd make an equivalent 15 payment on your 30 year
That's if your disciplined enough to save the money and pay it off in 15 years. The majority won't be

Old 05-28-2016, 02:31 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,688,785 times
Theres probably no right answer and everyone is different. Best thing is to have a years worth expenses saved up - least for me thats what I am comfortable with. I would say your definitely ahead of most. 3 years ago when I was 25 we had about 20k saved and 7 rental properties BUT we didnt have any debt besides mortgage, neither of us had any student loans which helped us save quicker. Plus, we never drank or partied like many 20 year olds, we have always been frugal with money. Keep up the good work!

Old 05-28-2016, 06:43 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,565,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
That's if your disciplined enough to save the money and pay it off in 15 years. The majority won't be
Oh so more ifs? Your ifs count but mine don't? Uh okay

Old 05-28-2016, 07:18 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,117,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowexpectations View Post
oh so more ifs? Your ifs count but mine don't? Uh okay

Old 05-28-2016, 07:49 PM

1,901 posts, read 1,827,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaellys View Post
I graduated college last year and have 14k saved up. Is this a good start? I am looking to buy a house by the time I'm 30, and I live in an apartment.
You're doing great, but think long and hard about looking to buy a home that soon. Job security is out of place for our Generation, so you might have to work in one place for 3 years, move clean across the country for another job for 5 years, move clean across the country again for a job for 4 years, move back to your home state for a job for 10 years, etc., etc.

You usually buy a home when you believe you will be SET in one area for at least 10 - 15 years. With our lack of job security today, it's difficult to do that especially when your career is just starting to take off.

The reality is that our Generation (if you are financially responsible) is going to be putting off family creation until about their early - mid 30's for the most part, and putting off buying a home until around their mid 30's to early 40's for the most part, after they have created SOME sort of stability.

But yeah, at 25 with some coin saved up, you are doing better than most 25-year-olds today who don't have two dimes to rub together to make twenty cents.

Old 05-29-2016, 12:56 PM

10,058 posts, read 7,228,273 times
The New York Times has a good calculator to help you figure out if buying/renting is a better deal.

Generally speaking, you'll break even on buying vs. renting after 3-4 years but that's if your maintenance costs are low. For most people it's more like 7 years to break even then buying starts to pay off more every year after that. A young person that is likely to move within 5 years is probably not better off buying.*

*This is all market dependent. Some markets (like mine) have seen such outrageous housing cost and rent increases lately that buying even just for a few years pays off. My property value has risen 71% in the 22 months since I bought it and it shows no sign of slowing down - it's estimated value goes up about 1-3% a month (!). Of course this is a bubble and who knows when it will pop. In my market, renters can expect their rent increases to be at least 7% per year. The duplex next door to me has gone from $650 per unit to $1000 per unit in the same 22 month period.

Other markets - central Florida and most of Missouri come to mind for me - have property values that are pretty stagnant over the last 1-2 decades, the values just barely keep up with overall inflation. Buying there will mean you lose money over time because all the money you spend on maintenance and improvements is just plain consumer expense like a car.

Old 05-29-2016, 01:31 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,533,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
You're doing great, but think long and hard about looking to buy a home that soon. Job security is out of place for our Generation, so you might have to work in one place for 3 years, move clean across the country for another job for 5 years, move clean across the country again for a job for 4 years, move back to your home state for a job for 10 years, etc., etc.
I don't believe this is true exactly... 20-30 somethings have generally been more transient than older people. When you say "our" generation, you mean that age group? It isn't that we have less job security than past generations, we are just in the transition phase between school/career so people tend to move. Scaring people into thinking all of a sudden that the job market is completely different than any other generation is absurd and not true
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance