Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 04:35 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times

Advertisements

We live in Silicon Valley and have a house in the East Bay that has been unoccupied for about 18 months while we've been fixing it up. The previous tenants left a lot of damage, plus there were many expensive things that needed updating.

It's coming time for us to make a decision about what to do with the house.

Do we sell the house? Initially our goal had been to sell the house in 2015. However, delaying hasn't hurt us because the market in that East Bay town is up. If we sell this year we can expect to get $50k to $100k more than if we'd sold in 2015.

Do we rent it out? The rental market is up as well. Last year we would have asked around $2500; this year we should be able to get $3000. The problem with renting is that we're tired of dealing with renters. Why fix the house up just so someone can trash it again?

Do we hold onto it and keep it unoccupied? This is the direction we're leaning in. Speculators are driving up housing prices here, with no end in sight. If prices drop, so what. We're going to get hammered with depreciation recapture and cap gains anyway when we sell. And if we sell, what will we do with the money? Is there a better paying investment than Silicon Valley real estate?

In our shoes, what would you do?

Assume your income is high enough you can't deduct any of the expenses from renting the house. Also assume you don't need the rental income and that you live at least 30 minutes away from the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 05:52 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,328,637 times
Sell it now.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:01 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,581,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
We live in Silicon Valley and have a house in the East Bay that has been unoccupied for about 18 months while we've been fixing it up. The previous tenants left a lot of damage, plus there were many expensive things that needed updating.

It's coming time for us to make a decision about what to do with the house.

Do we sell the house? Initially our goal had been to sell the house in 2015. However, delaying hasn't hurt us because the market in that East Bay town is up. If we sell this year we can expect to get $50k to $100k more than if we'd sold in 2015.

Do we rent it out? The rental market is up as well. Last year we would have asked around $2500; this year we should be able to get $3000. The problem with renting is that we're tired of dealing with renters. Why fix the house up just so someone can trash it again?

Do we hold onto it and keep it unoccupied? This is the direction we're leaning in. Speculators are driving up housing prices here, with no end in sight. If prices drop, so what. We're going to get hammered with depreciation recapture and cap gains anyway when we sell. And if we sell, what will we do with the money? Is there a better paying investment than Silicon Valley real estate?

Assume your income is high enough you can't deduct any of the expenses from renting the house. Also assume you don't need the rental income and that you live at least 30 minutes away from the house.
I suspect that the crazy price gains cannot continue forever. Sell.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:08 PM

23,595 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Sell. The huge temptation when something is going up in value is to hold on. I've done it with stocks, memorabilia, and had to take back a house I thought I had safely sold high. Being on the down side of the roller coaster there is a little door that opens up in the seat of the cart and a booted foot that keeps kicking you "I should have sold when..."

Old 06-23-2016, 07:15 PM

6,626 posts, read 7,340,970 times
Sell

Old 06-23-2016, 07:20 PM

7,774 posts, read 6,383,187 times
Check your insurance. It may not cover an empty house.

I would sell.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:18 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times
Let's assume it's an hour away. IF you keep it how often will you stay there?
One weekend a month? every other week? Never? Hardly ever?
(IF they ask, insurance may phrase the question: is it unoccupied for more than 30 days in a row? if you stay there one (or two) weekend(s) a month then it's not unoccupied for 30 says straight)

I can't say I wouldn't keep it; I might do just that. For exactly how one I don't know. But then again you don't have to decide that today. Take it month by month, which eventually will become year by year.

Can you sell now, and not second guess it or regret it if the market keeps rising? Clearly you're thinking of keeping it just for the up side of the RE market, and the gain you'd leave on the table if you sell now, and the market keeps going up.

If you keep it 1, 2, 3, or 5 more years and the market goes up….and then the market starts to go down. You could always still sell. And even if the market falls a bit you're still ahead. If you're in year 5, and the market falls, and you sell at year 4 1/2 prices, you're still a head of selling at year 1, 2, or 3 prices.

I wouldn't leave it unoccupied and never check on it. Is junk mail collecting there? Are you going to keep lights on timers?

Old 06-23-2016, 11:23 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times
I would never keep an empty house. You may get squatters. Get better property management to screen better renter. However, if you had plan to sell, you should sell.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:29 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
... We're going to get hammered with depreciation recapture and cap gains anyway when we sell. And if we sell, what will we do with the money? Is there a better paying investment than Silicon Valley real estate?

I like rentals, though I have never done a Single-Family-Residence before. The stories I have heard along the way, have usually been frightening. We have only done triplexes, four and five-plexes, they have done well for us in the past.

There are strategies to avoid depreciation recapture and cap gains when you sell. We had four properties that we decided to sell when I retired. We used the money to buy the farm where we live now. We were not obligated to pay any taxes on those sales. You may wish to speak with an accountant.

I am not aware of a better paying investment than real estate. We find that even in retirement our assets have grown and need to be put into a higher earning portfolio. So we have began shopping for rental properties again.

You may have confused 'Passive activities' with 'Active and At-Risk activities'. You may wish to speak with an accountant.

It sounds like you are not well suited to being a landlord [it is not a role for everyone]. You do not need the rental income. You do not need the write-off. Really you only own the property right now as a speculation. I suggest that you sell.

If it were me, I would sell that property and roll it over into a four-plex located close by.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:39 AM

23,595 posts, read 70,391,434 times
I don't think I've ever seen as strong a consensus on a decision point question here on City-Data. Normally I take advice on forums as a small factor in a my decisions, but faced with this unanimity I would give it much greater weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance