Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 10:13 AM

95 posts, read 249,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Are you talking about 'shipping' (like via rail or van) - or paying someone to drive it across country? The latter would depend on whether you get someone who is bonded and reliable ... and they don't have an accident or significant mechanical issues. If you believe your car is only worth $3K, the latter is a real issue, since "reliable" and "3K" are somewhat of a contradiction.

From a purely financial perspective, the difference is the car markets at either end. Can you sell it for enough at your end to pay shipping and buy a replacement vehicle, at the other end (including taxes). Of course, mileage and condition will make a big difference. You can probably check both out with a service like Car Max or your own online research. Perhaps you can arrange with a national organization like Car Max to handle both ends of your transaction. (However, for a $3K value car, they are likely to wholesale it)
Ship via rail/van. $3k assuming a lowball offer from dealership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 10:14 AM

95 posts, read 249,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Is the 10 year old car reliable? I don't happen to think that 10 years makes a car old.

It takes a lot of effort and hunting to find a reliable cheap used car. Many used cars for sale have some sort of repair issue that is going to cost money to fix. You could be trading your reliable car in for a lemon.
Yes, family car since the beginning. Nothing but synthetic oil changes and proper maintenance (timing belt replacement, etc.).

Old 06-27-2016, 10:17 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,127,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KosmoKramer View Post
How you would feel about a 30+ hour road trip? Considering gas, tolls, and hotel/motel stays, you're spending a decent amount of money either way (plus wear and tear on your old car).
I just drove my 16 year old car from Southern MO to upstate NY, stayed about a week (family obligations) and then drove back.

Going up (20 hours, turned into 24 with a side trip) I slept in the car.

On the way back (I had a family member with me) we got a hotel room one night (~$60 for a decent room because I kept driving another 20-30min to get us out of Indianapolis/city taxes that put it over $100.)

Spent FAR less than $1k (gas this month including the trip was ~$500... although the passenger picked up a couple tanks on the way back.)

And while it was a minor PITA it was FAR LESS of one than being without a car, buying a new one, dealing with potential issues etc.

I drove rather than fly because it saved the family member money and there were things that needed to be transported back.

So in answer to your question:
A 44 hour trip:
I changed the oil, checked the truck over (basic maintance and service) and did it.
Minor suckage (particularly as I left at the end of a day rather than early and we'll rested) but now that it's done it's in the "meh" catagory.
I'd not give up a good known quanity reliable vehicle for such a minor reason.

If I was looking at a "break even" on shipping vs driving (not really since you have to get there SOME HOW) I'd take a couple extra days and make a vacation out of it
Driving vs shipping and flying will save you what?
$1,000- $1,500 minimum (I think more from what your saying.)

Well worth it considering the fun you can have.

Eta: back when I was on active duty I was at a couple duty stations without a car. It SUCKED! WOULD NOT DO....

Old 06-27-2016, 10:27 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
From a financial perspective...
Transporter is LESS THAN $1000. Probably about $700.
(what I paid from Tampa to Fresno)

That's about what gas, food, and motels will cost for a speed run.
Don't do speed runs.

If the car is in good enough shape to be driven CC... do that.
Block enough time to actually enjoy the trip.

If the car is NOT sound... then sell it now.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:35 AM

24,553 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
How you would feel about a 30+ hour road trip? Considering gas, tolls, and hotel/motel stays, you're spending a decent amount of money either way (plus wear and tear on your old car).

Call it a 2 1/2 day road trip. Pack a cooler, sleep in your car, spend the remaining 500$ on your new place.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:37 AM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
Ship via rail/van. $3k assuming a lowball offer from dealership.
Don't sell to dealership. You will lose more money than the cost of shipping the car, once you factor in all the other expenses of buying and selling cars.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:46 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,459,845 times
Depends how much you like newer cars. If you generally think newer cars are cool, that likely colors your thought and decision process. If you generally are unwowed, then it's all about how many years of driving life are left in your current car. Each month of quality driving life it gives you equates to a car payment you did not make or owe.

My truck is worth less than your car at market, and is twenty-six years old. I look at $1000 and see three new truck payments (if I had to make any; haven't made one for nineteen years). I expect to drive mine until I can no longer get parts as necessary, which may or may not exceed my lifespan. So if it were me, I would absolutely bring my truck. Whether I would ship it or drive it would depend on how eager I was for a four-day cross-country trip vs. the shipping cost, because I'm guessing that gas and other cross-country travel costs won't fall too terribly far from the shipping cost when they add up.

Old 06-27-2016, 11:29 AM

91 posts, read 214,784 times
If your new employer does not pay for shipping, I would consider driving on my own. Even though you spend money on lodging and gas, you save money on airfares.

Old 06-27-2016, 11:49 AM

7,519 posts, read 13,624,634 times
Here is one way to look at the sell vs ship decision. If you were not moving anywhere, would you pay $700-1000 to repair the car if needed, given its history, and desire to not necessarily buy another car ?

Old 06-27-2016, 01:44 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,297,951 times
Quote:
$1k-$2k+
If you're spending 1-2k to ship a car cross country, you're doing it wrong.
I've shipping cars from California to Virginia for $750 on a regular truck that holds 6-8 cars i believe. Door to door service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance