Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 10:17 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,251,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
The way we do it is that we have a joint checking and savings account. We've forumated a budget, and determined how much money needs to go into that account to pay fixed bills. We also came up with a number for contributing to savings, as well as our own individual contributions to retirement accounts. We review this every now and then, and make adjustments.

We each have our own individual checking/savings accounts as well, that we get direct deposited money to. When we get paid, we have auto deposits set up to move money into the joint checking/savings account. Bills are paid of of that account, our joint savings is built up, and we've allocated extra for things like eating out and such. Most bills are set on autopay, and we have an extra $1K or so in there to give a buffer in case something unexpected comes up.

Then, whatever is left over in our personal accounts, we are free to do whatever we want with.
That's currently how we do it too, a checking account for joint living expenses (housing and food). We direct deposit the expense amount 50/50 from our paychecks. We don't have a joint savings though. We should probably start one for big shared expenses like vacations (he paid) and furniture (I paid). It hasn't been 50/50 on these shared expenses though; he's paid a lot more $$ than I did, though I make slightly more than he does now since he quit one of his full-time jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2016, 07:11 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,688,785 times
I keep every receipt and we rarely use cash so between the receipts, my checkbook and our credit card statement it is easy to account for every penny. I have one of the folder organizer binders.. It's the kind that opens and has lots of slots. I labeled each one 'January' 'February' ect and place receipts for that month in each slot. Then after the month is done I will do the adding/categorize and put on a spreadsheet. It really doesn't take much time at all. Also, sometimes i will check it through the month to see where we're at on grocery spending or other categories.

We also keep all receipts in case we ever need them for returns or something. Were self employed to and are use to keeping receipts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance