Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 05:39 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times

Advertisements

Sorry - it sounds like you're rationalizing this and you just want a big pot of money to play with. Chances are you will fritter it away while you're looking for that great opportunity that will never materialize. And you WILL lose a very large portion to taxes - you'd have to make all that up just to come out EVEN! Keep it invested...maybe in a riskier fund, but keep it in play, ALL of it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2016, 06:42 AM

1,951 posts, read 1,635,277 times
ecsdude - how do you plan on beating countless professional investors? Sustained lucky choices? Or with many many hours of investing education?

Either way, I wish you the best of luck. Me? I'm leaving my money in the market. There's no reason to think it'll lose value over the long term, only gain. But if it loses money for the first time in all of known history, then we're all screwed anyway. So I stay invested, can't wait for the next big upswing.

And just for fun, here's what would happen if you were the world's worst market timer:
What if You Only Invested at Market Peaks?
Spoiler alert: you'd still gain money.

Old 07-08-2016, 07:03 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
In many cases? Not really. If it's allowed at all its typcially restricted to employees 50+ or a length of service plus age. In many cases doesn't really fit the reality of it
My plan and others I'm aware of allowed it. It doesn't hurt to ask -- After all, the money belongs to the owner, not the company.

Old 07-08-2016, 07:59 PM

490 posts, read 837,388 times
Hi, I'm not talking about day trading or anything like that.. I don't have any experience with that so wouldn't want to risk it.

What I'm talking about is having the liquidity so that if/when opportunities arise (I was thinking more along the lines of: (a) real estate downturns like that around 7 years ago that led to homes being sold for rock bottom prices and now have appreciated considerably - if I had the down payment to pursue opportunities like that, I'd be doing pretty well selling at what appears to be the peak now (b) consistently finding good deals on electronics and other goods and making regular profits on resale.

Both would have to be done with care, and aren't as passive as just leaving the funds in a 401K, but I wonder what the environment will be like by the time I retire. Will we have hit a market meltdown that resulted in some of my coworkers losing like 200K on their 401K? If so, then what? It seems that at least the other options would give me more control over my own fate.

But I understand that over the long run the 401K historically trends upward and that cashing out would mean first making up a significant amount that will be going to taxes and penalty... before even starting to realize increases.

Based on the majority of responses, I'm leaning towards taking the safe route and roll my 401K over to the new employer, continue to contribute (even without a match) and try to increase my contributions and savings, and find jobs that pay more, as ways to build wealth.

Old 07-08-2016, 08:48 PM

263 posts, read 343,889 times
Check if you can simply leave it where it is. There is no need to even roll over to an IRA. i have my pepsico 401k money still there bc their investment choices were very good. So no point in taking it out anfpd going though all the hassle. Now, i wouldnt want to have 5 401ks from 5 different employesr laying around, but for now, you actually may nit need to "do" anything. Just visit the site frequently and see how our money is doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance