Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 05:13 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,192,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnetworking View Post
So Hillary Clinton cames out with the tuition-free public college plan, but guess what, it's for family with income of $85k/year and under.

Questioning Hillary Clinton’s tuition-free college plan | New York Post

Why everything she comes out with is for under $100k household income? $120k isn't much better than $85k/year after taxes, but won't be eligible for anything.

I am going to tell my boss to lower my income a little bit for this, and maybe I can work 3 days a week vs 5 days, because you know putting 2 kids in free colleges will probably be worth 10 years of hard-earned savings.

I studied very hard in college, and work very hard to earn this income, why am I getting punished?
Cry me a river. The median family income in the US is just $60k, dude. 75% of families make $85k or less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 05:22 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,746,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
That's awesome.

May I ask what you are paying for your son's housing?
It varies per campus but I think housing and meals is about $12k.

Old 07-14-2016, 05:25 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,746,920 times
Quote:
It really adds up, especially when it's after tax money.

I don't care about Donald Duck's plan because i know he will never have a chance. I am betting $100 to $500 with my friend. If Hillary wins, I will get $100, if she loses, I will have to pay $500.
Yes but my kid shares a room, while the financial aid kids got a room to themselves. My kid likes sharing.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:35 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,825,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Cry me a river. The median family income in the US is just $60k, dude. 75% of families make $85k or less.
Middle income in my town is $120k.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:47 PM

391 posts, read 290,119 times
No matter where you stand on this issue, one thing is true:

Someone has to pay for it... nothing is free in this world. Teachers don't work for free (most, anyway).

Will Hillary ask me to give up more money to send people to school?

I worked my way through school to get where I am.. ***k.

Crazy thing is I paid more in taxes than almost 40% of people got paid on a job. Should I feel guilty in some way? I want a tax refund... tired of paying for this and that.

Old 07-16-2016, 08:22 AM

505 posts, read 764,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Most of the major U.S. state universities can survive on less loan money, but they'd have to downsize & thus serve far fewer students to be sustainable, the way European universities do. It would be a careful balance of operating costs vs. students every year.

My alma mater had about 22,000 students when I started about 15 years ago. Today it's upwards of 35,000. There's no way you add 12,000 students and it gets cheaper because college does not really scale - when you add students you add costs, but if you don't add students, because of decreasing state appropriations, you go into the red.
The issue is that costs per student are rising. If you reduce the number of students you actually make things worse because the same amount of fixed costs (legacy infrastructure/buildings, labs, tenured profs, athletic programs, administrators etc.) get spread across a smaller number of students. The only way to make it more affordable per student is to bring down the fixed costs.

More students does not mean more cost per student. In fact, it can often mean less cost per student because fixed costs can be spread over a larger number of students. Also, the increase in cost of adding each additional student (marginal cost) is very low for many things such as IT systems. So each student they add brings in lets say $15k in tuition and fees but only costs the school $10k more.

This is probably why your alma mater has grown from 22,000 to 35,000 students.

Old 07-16-2016, 11:00 AM

18,033 posts, read 15,627,191 times
Force your kids to become emancipated adults. They'll probably have a much easier time qualifying for all kinds of programs to get to college. Another hint to lower the cost: send kids to community college the first 2 years. They can take all their core classes (English, Math, Accounting 101, Science, etc) and then transfer those credits to a 4 year university in their junior year. You'll save $$$$$ going this route and at the end, when they have their diploma, it will have the name of the university on it (and not the regional community college).

Old 07-17-2016, 01:43 PM

10,058 posts, read 7,226,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock847 View Post
The issue is that costs per student are rising. If you reduce the number of students you actually make things worse because the same amount of fixed costs (legacy infrastructure/buildings, labs, tenured profs, athletic programs, administrators etc.) get spread across a smaller number of students. The only way to make it more affordable per student is to bring down the fixed costs.

More students does not mean more cost per student. In fact, it can often mean less cost per student because fixed costs can be spread over a larger number of students. Also, the increase in cost of adding each additional student (marginal cost) is very low for many things such as IT systems. So each student they add brings in lets say $15k in tuition and fees but only costs the school $10k more.

This is probably why your alma mater has grown from 22,000 to 35,000 students.
But it's a vicious cycle because they have to expand all that to accomodate the increased numbers of students. But I agree, they are probably adding students to try and mitigate the even sharper tuition increases that would occur if they didn't.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:28 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,790,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
So the 25% that make more than $85k will pay 4x the current cost of tuition to offset the cost of the other 75%?

Already the upper incomes pay full sticker of nearly $10k/yr, while the lower income students pay just $4k/yr, but this new plan would have the upper income kids paying $40k/yr to let the lower income kids in for free.

That's an extra $120k after taxes for school, and let's not forget that at the higher income levels taxes are levied at a higher rate.

And finally, not every family helps their kids with school. Neither my spouse or I got a dime from our parents, and if school costs 4x more than it does now and wages stay the same then there would have been no way for us to go to college.

My profession is needed by society, as are my spouses, but why work 60 hours a week when my marginal tax rate approaches 50% and the state will want an extra $30k/yr from me so my kids can go to school?

Old 07-18-2016, 08:57 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,280,572 times
Quote:
So Hillary Clinton cames out with the tuition-free public college plan, but guess what, it's for family with income of $85k/year and under.

Questioning Hillary Clinton’s tuition-free college plan | New York Post

Why everything she comes out with is for under $100k household income? $120k isn't much better than $85k/year after taxes, but won't be eligible for anything.

I am going to tell my boss to lower my income a little bit for this, and maybe I can work 3 days a week vs 5 days, because you know putting 2 kids in free colleges will probably be worth 10 years of hard-earned savings.

I studied very hard in college, and work very hard to earn this income, why am I getting punished?
I support Hillary for President, but I do not favor this idea.

No one really wants to address the primary problem with college tuition. When I went to college in the late 1970's, my college tuition was an unbelievably low amount of about $300 per semester. Today, that same institution expects about $4,000 per semester and the last tuition increase alone was greater than my entire tuition in 1977. This is about a twelve-fold increase in cost. During the same period inflation has gone up by less than a third of that amount.

Institutions of higher education are greedy. Often they are badly run and are top heavy with administrative staffers who earn $100,000 a year or more. They spend fortunes building dormitories that look more like the Hilton Hotel than what a college dorm should look like. Too many courses are offered that are not helpful in terms of producing graduates with useful job skills or simply the ability to think. They are structured in a way that it is virtually impossible for someone who sees these problems to obtain any reform at all. It does not surprise me that they are expensive.

College tuition at public universities and colleges is too expensive and the public ought to be looking at "why" rather than trying to find a way to pass this cost onto taxpayers. If such a law ever did pass, I can imagine what would occur. Colleges and universities would look for ways to raise tuition as much as they could since taxpayer dollars would be paying the bill.

It is right to focus on the cost of college. It is wrong to deal with that problem simply by making someone else pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance