Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 07:54 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times

Advertisements

Well he can't save 20% until he gets those CC's paid off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2016, 08:21 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
... It looks like a personal financial disaster is damn near inevitable by the end of the year!

Did you ever have a personal financial disaster? If you were 30-31 and fell off the rails, how would you begin to recover? How would you allocate retirement savings these days coming from a zero basis with a thirty year or longer horizon?

How would you begin to rebuild for the immediate future and for older age?
You never know what is lurking around the bend.

On a day-to-day basis you do your best.

I worked a career field that offered a pension. We both took courses on budgeting, taxes and tax-planning, and we were both budgeting counselors and tax preparers, through the 80s and 90s. We focused a lot of effort on living frugal, investing hard and maintaining a full 100% tax-shelter over all of our income and investments. By maintaining ourselves tax-free we had more money to invest. Our portfolio was completely tax-free. As a result our ROI was spectacular.

When I retired [at age 42] we took out as much capital as we could and we bought our retirement home with cash. We expected our portfolio to re-build. My pension is enough to support us and we expected that in 10 years our portfolio would be recharged enough to allow us to begin draining it again. But the Recession hit is hard. <insert long boring story> we lost it and had to go through bankruptcy to disentangle from a lawsuit. That was a disaster for us. The last 10 years done okay on my pension, it has forced us to stay in a frugal lifestyle.

Then out of the blue and completely un-expected an in-law has passed away. The estate is large. Suddenly we are meeting with lawyers and accountants, talking about forming an LLC to buy a half-dozen apartment buildings and hiring our children to manage these assets.

You just do not know what is ahead. On a day-to-day basis you do your best.

Old 07-17-2016, 09:21 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,786,210 times
Dear one, what have you learned from your mistakes and do you plan on not repeating them?

I have always believed in having back up money for my back up money and that means living below your means. Want what you need, don't need what you want.

Rebuild but do so with that mentality. Always ALWAYS have a years worth of your salary within easy reach at all times. YES you can do it.

Change the way you think about money and think of it as a tool instead of a toy. You'll be fine. You have plenty of time to recover. Just learn from your mistakes.

Old 07-17-2016, 09:53 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,944,888 times
For those who are unfamiliar with the OP's history in the Personal Finance forum:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/44777303-post266.html

His biggest issue, which he refuses to acknowledge, is that he makes emotional financial decisions instead of rational ones.

And there's nothing that requires rationality quite so much as retirement planning. If you've been dodging the truth all your life, retirement is where the rubber really meets the road. If you're on Social Security, you can't run out and spend $50 going to a ball game because it makes you feel better. Or use credit cards as your emergency fund -- and keep having emergencies.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:23 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,630,968 times
There is no reason your credit score has to tank. Just pay minimums on everything, even if you have to borrow cash from one creditor to use to make payments to the others. (It's not a long-term solution, but a short-term strategy to avoid default.)

Old 07-18-2016, 05:07 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,717,003 times
Quote:
seven offices and five different states
This seems to be your biggest issue.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:11 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,448,689 times
I don't have much advice other than my heart goes out to you.

I have been laid off twice before and landed OK in jobs that carried me through.

The only "disaster" was my spouse losing his job during the recession that effectively ended his sales career because the only thing that has come back are low salaries. And no one wants to hire a 50 something guy when they can hire 20 somethings for cheap.

Luckily for us - I remained employed all throughout this and we learned to live on much less.

You will survive. You're still young. Live BELOW your means because it can happen again - and prepare yourself to always live below your means and you will do well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance