Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 01:48 PM

5,318 posts, read 8,487,881 times

Advertisements

I am the recipient of a $25 Visa gift card. I am trying to figure out how I can use this. Obviously I can go to a store and buy something under $25 with it. But how would I use it if I want to spend more than $25? That is what I am trying to figure out.

Ideally, I would like to use it on Amazon, in combination with an Amazon gift card, and then my own credit card. So in this case, let's say I spend $150 total- $25 on the Visa gift card, $50 on an Amazon gift card, and then $75 on my own card.

I've been searching around on Amazon and can't find an answer.

Amazon Help does say you can apply an Amazon gift card to your total, and then pay the difference with a regular credit card... but this $25 Visa card is throwing me off. If Amazon thinks its a credit card, then how would it know there is a $25 limit on it?

Any help appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 01:56 PM

3,549 posts, read 1,536,078 times
Use your VisaGC to either buy a $25 Amazon GC sent to yourself, or re-load your Amazon GC balance, whichever is easier.

Old 08-04-2016, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinaCarlotta View Post
Use your VisaGC to either buy a $25 Amazon GC sent to yourself, or re-load your Amazon GC balance, whichever is easier.
Creative idea!!! I will have to look into this. Can you buy yourself an Amazon GC? I can't see why Amazon would allow someone to buy one for themselves and then use it. Or would they?

I could buy one from a grocery store or Walgreen's though.

Old 08-04-2016, 02:14 PM

3,919 posts, read 2,550,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
Creative idea!!! I will have to look into this. Can you buy yourself an Amazon GC? I can't see why Amazon would allow someone to buy one for themselves and then use it. Or would they?

I could buy one from a grocery store or Walgreen's though.
Is there a fee to these otions?

Old 08-04-2016, 02:22 PM

1,908 posts, read 2,221,348 times
Why not just use the gift card to buy your groceries, then buy whatever it is you want from Amazon with your credit or debit card, and apply the money you saved on groceries by using the gift card to paying the bill for what you buy on Amazon?

Using the gift card for some of your regular expenses like groceries would free up an extra $25 in your budget to spend on what you want from Amazon.

Old 08-04-2016, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
Why not just use the gift card to buy your groceries, then buy whatever it is you want from Amazon with your credit or debit card, and apply the money you saved on groceries by using the gift card to paying the bill for what you buy on Amazon?

Using the gift card for some of your regular expenses like groceries would free up an extra $25 in your budget to spend on what you want from Amazon.
You're right- it all comes out of the same pot ultimately.

I just wonder how it works if I use the Visa gift card at the grocery store and I buy more than $25. Does the computer know that is the limit? And then the checker would have me put another card in for the balance?

I just want to use the full $25 and not leave any money on this card.

Old 08-04-2016, 02:39 PM

22,253 posts, read 47,174,114 times
Quote:

I just wonder how it works if I use the Visa gift card at the grocery store and I buy more than $25. Does the computer know that is the limit? And then the checker would have me put another card in for the balance?
That's what I did with a $50 card.

You can also use it at the gas station. My husband said the nozzle clicked off as the card limit was reached.

Old 08-04-2016, 02:39 PM

1,908 posts, read 2,221,348 times
Quote:
You're right- it all comes out of the same pot ultimately.

I just want to use the full $25 and not leave any money on this card.
Yes, the computer will know. As long as what you're buying is over $25, you'll be able to use the whole gift card. Use the gift card first, the register will subtract that from the amount due, and you will then pay for the rest with cash or another card. They do this all the time.

If you didn't use the whole $25 on your purchase, the remainder would still stay on the card, so you could use the rest on a future purchase.

Old 08-04-2016, 02:40 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,527,306 times
The cash register (aka: database) will know that the limit is only $25. (I believe the number sequence identifies it as a gift card...maybe i'm wrong on that not sure). If you buy $50.00 worth of groceries, slide the gift card through first. The register will "take" that $25, zero out the gift card and you will have to come up with $25 of your own money to zero out the balance due.

Old 08-04-2016, 03:05 PM

Thanks everyone- much appreciated!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance