U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2016, 03:00 AM

2,050 posts, read 1,184,536 times

Advertisements

Here is the situation. My only grandchild, a girl, is 3 years old. Since I live on a fairly modest income and have my own IRA and retirement income set aside, I wanted to set up a 'savings routine' that I could follow without much pain.

Here is what I do:

1. Saving my change, not including quarters. If I fill a pint jar with pennies, nickles and dimes it comes to @ $20.

2. Saving uncommon coins such as gold or metal dollars, bicentennial quarters, half dollars, wheat pennies that I come across. Also any $2 bills I come across. I understand they will never be worth much more than face value, but it is the idea of saving more than anything else. It comes out to about @ $10/ week.

3. I have come across Silver Certificates in various denominations as well as older silver dollars that I just set aside.

None of this dips into my budget, and is a conscious habit. Well, obviously the problem is that, after saving several hundreds of dollars this way, there is a lot of change around.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to the best way to put this money towards her higher education or just for her in general? Should I do it or should her parents?

Appreciate any advice, and hopefully this is the right place to post this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 06:58 AM

2,444 posts, read 1,730,452 times
Convert the change to cash and set up a 529 plan for her benefit. Which state you go with will depend on where you live and potential tax benefits, but a 529 plan will allow the money to grow tax-free, and be withdrawn for qualified educational expense tax-free as well.

Old 08-12-2016, 07:15 AM

2,050 posts, read 1,184,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
Convert the change to cash and set up a 529 plan for her benefit. Which state you go with will depend on where you live and potential tax benefits, but a 529 plan will allow the money to grow tax-free, and be withdrawn for qualified educational expense tax-free as well.
Thank you. Sounds like just what I was hoping was out there. The tax-free part addresses my biggest concern.

Old 08-12-2016, 07:51 AM

2,444 posts, read 1,730,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayiask View Post
Thank you. Sounds like just what I was hoping was out there. The tax-free part addresses my biggest concern.
If you live in a state with a state income tax, look into your state's 529 plan (they are run state by state), as it may provide you with tax benefits. If you live in a state without a state income tax, or if the 529 plan benefits are too negligible to matter to you, Utah and NY have the best 529 plans, and you don't have to be a resident to enroll, nor does the money have to be spent on a college in that state.

Old 08-12-2016, 07:51 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,301,262 times
Sounds like a lot of work for a little bit of money. I would keep all that stuff for yourself. Open a 529 or ESA for her and do direct deposit of $50 a month or $25 whatever you can swing, just fit it into your monthly budget, set it, and forget it.

Use the items already collected for the initial investment.

Old 08-12-2016, 03:41 PM

486 posts, read 613,751 times
I can't remember the last time I saw anything in the second list and the last time I saw a silver certificates $100 was in Las Vegas about 5 years a go. Unfortunately they are not worth much more then the newer bills.
I can't imaging collect $10 worth of list #2 every week unless I worked as a casher.

Old 08-18-2016, 10:35 AM

8,235 posts, read 9,990,552 times
We've been paying for the prepaid college tuition plans for our two youngest grandsons (about $5K per year) ... and will pay about $10K per year during college for each of our older grandkids (3). The latter will come out of an annuity we set-up a couple of years ago and required RMD funds starting in a year or two.

I've looked extensively for tax breaks for grandparents paying toward grandchildren's college -- and haven't found much. Even the popular 529 plans have very limited tax breaks (and other problems) for grandparents.

Old 08-18-2016, 11:02 AM

3,827 posts, read 3,132,132 times
I would go with the 529 plan but probably one owned by her parents and that they also contribute too. If a second child comes along the 529 plan can be shifted to that child if not needed by the first so you do have some flexibility.

If you want to give to the child you would have to use a uniform gift to minors account. It would probably be in a saving account so would not even keep up with inflation. The next problem is that at 18 (depends on state) the child would get the money and can use it for any reason. Thus I would lean toward the 529.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or