Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 02:34 PM

142 posts, read 179,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
When I hear about those situations it's almost always the individual him/herself.

If it's a couple bad years, I'd believe context issues are at fault, but multiple years... no.

Had a friend like that... he worked as a temp and part-timer for YEARS, so long that he pretty much ruined his chances at a full-time job in the field. He had job offers... but was unwilling to move. He wouldn't even have had to move far... like 3 hours away. But he never wanted to and held out hope he'd get hired on at the one place he temped at. Even when they told him it was unlikely he held out hope. As far as I know he's still working part time making 25-30k a year and pushing 40.
This is something that I've seen recruiting at job fairs across the country. There are a seriously high number of young adults that would approach me at the booth and ask if we had local "insert current city here" positions. I tried my hardest to quickly mentor them to apply anyway and make a decision once a decision needed to be made, as in when there was an actual offer.

That fear of the unknown translate into lost opportunities for progression, even within their existing companies. I know for a fact that I would not be where I am today without a few leaps of faith and believing that when push came to shove, I'd be able to MAKE things work. I think this is a trait of high earning individuals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2016, 01:50 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,581,118 times
Default Hilarious

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
According to people here, you can move to a low CoL area and live like you make 6 figures on less. Because good career type jobs that pay a salary to afford a better than median house are overwhelmingly abundant in places like Topeka, Amarillo, Augusta Maine, Shreveport, or Louisville. No one's competing for jobs there.
Ahahahaa ha! I love it!

Old 08-27-2016, 02:15 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,549,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromChicagotoSeattle View Post
I can't say if some people are lying or not. What I can attest to, is that ever since I started regularly reading the Work and Employment, and Personal Finance forums, I've increased my income 70% over the last 3 years. I listened to and took the advice of those with high incomes and have gotten major results.

Therefore, although I don't have "proof", I honestly think most who frequent those boards are very experienced in making the right career/financial moves. And I, for one, am grateful for them. Instead of questioning if they're telling the truth, why not ask how they got there? I bet there's some interesting stories!
Of course. Knowing that this forum skews toward the more wealthy, it is still inspiring knowing that there are many people out there doing very well and are smart about their money. I see too many of my ex-coworkers, who I know make less than $20/hr, driving very nice vehicles and living rather lavish lifestyles.

Old 08-27-2016, 02:22 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,905,229 times
Many fake it and hope they make it

Old 09-02-2016, 09:41 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromChicagotoSeattle View Post
I can't say if some people are lying or not. What I can attest to, is that ever since I started regularly reading the Work and Employment, and Personal Finance forums, I've increased my income 70% over the last 3 years. I listened to and took the advice of those with high incomes and have gotten major results.

Therefore, although I don't have "proof", I honestly think most who frequent those boards are very experienced in making the right career/financial moves. And I, for one, am grateful for them. Instead of questioning if they're telling the truth, why not ask how they got there? I bet there's some interesting stories!
That's because you focus and have an interest in learning about money. Did you ever notice that people who have money want to learn more and like talking with other like minded people. They can't really talk to people who don't have it so they come to forums.

Did you ever notice that many people who struggle either want to ignore their money issues, want to blame someone else, aren't interested in learning about it or have jumped on the blame and get the rich bandwagon. They don't even know that there is a difference between high income and wealth.

Yes there are interesting stories most starting with dealing with the naysayers which successful people had to ignore. You're a rare case where instead of jumping on the get the rich bandwagon you opted to learn what successful people do and you've benefited from it. Good for you!

Last edited by petch751; 09-02-2016 at 09:50 AM..

Old 09-02-2016, 11:31 AM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisereg View Post
This is something that I've seen recruiting at job fairs across the country. There are a seriously high number of young adults that would approach me at the booth and ask if we had local "insert current city here" positions. I tried my hardest to quickly mentor them to apply anyway and make a decision once a decision needed to be made, as in when there was an actual offer.

That fear of the unknown translate into lost opportunities for progression, even within their existing companies. I know for a fact that I would not be where I am today without a few leaps of faith and believing that when push came to shove, I'd be able to MAKE things work. I think this is a trait of high earning individuals.
Moving to where the jobs are may be a temporary solution, but I'm extremely uncomfortable with the way society is heading with more and more good jobs concentrated in increasingly fewer areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance