Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 07:52 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,953,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I wanted one for the convenience of giving it to my daughter for college and then being able to go online and put money on it when she needs some. But the charges are too high so I will just drive to WaMu where she has her free account and deposit cash.
I do this for my teenage son. We use the UPside card which is specifically geared for teens/parents and helping them learn to manage money. I am not charged any fees. I load it every few months and if I load from my checking account, I have not occurred fees for that type of transfer.
He has his own checking and savings. What we use this particular card for is his monthly allowance for his necessities. I give him $20/month. He has to use that to get things like shampoo, deodorant, clothes, etc. It helps him learn the value of things and not to always expect the most expensive, etc. or he'll have to do without. He has actually started clipping coupons for his favorite soap
I have a separate login so I can monitor the account.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 06:54 AM

652 posts, read 2,663,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
#1 I am not trying to build cr..2 I am trying to keep from carring lots of cash at the beginning of the month [usually broke by mid month...but bills are paid!!] Trying to find a way to pay bills without getting lost in the mail...as the mail seems to get worse as stamps & all go up [going up again in May!!] So Other than the fees are there any other pit falls with prepaid...oh and I am planning on moving from this area in a year...so no I dont want an account that I will have to close in a year.

No I dont think these are gift cards...emailv. Tho most gift cards do have an experation date & their own fees...you should check them out before you buy & spend them as soon as possible according to what I heard on the news after Christmas!
Have you thought about an internet account where your money gets deposited automatically and you can take out your spending cash, then pay all your bills online? then you dont have to worry about loosing anything in the mail and you wont have to close the account when you move.
I dont like the idea of the prepaid credit card at all, but different things work for different people. I hate rent a center places, but that is the only way my brother can seem to buy decent stuff without racking up a credit card. same scenario. whatever works for you. My 2 cents "another way to keep poor people poor".

Old 02-25-2008, 09:47 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,064,665 times
The property that I am buying right now is no more than most people pay for a good car.
I'm paying 8% because my credit score is very low. We don't use credit cards at all and before we had medical coverage we racked up many huge medical bills that we fell behind on. Now that we have that under control our new bank (Stockmans bank) is an old school large commercial bank who after considering our income and the value of the properties felt that it was ok to approve our small loan. We are not talking about hundreds of thousands of dollars here.
Like I said before a prepaid card is not a credit card and does nothing to build credit. Many bills can be paid online now and a card can be lost or stolen. I would do as the other posters say and just get a checking account with a debit card.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:54 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
Emailvass......Ok so what is a INTERNET ACCOUNT?? who can I contact about them & how would I get cash when needed?

Old 02-25-2008, 05:28 PM

823 posts, read 2,215,673 times
There are lots of Internet only banks that offer checking accounts. They provide you with a debit card like any brick and mortar bank. Some of them even give you interest on your money and refund any ATM fees.

Here are some of the most popular ones:
https://us.etrade.com/e/t/banking
Online Checking Accounts at Bank of Internet USA
Online Checking Accounts: Online Investor Checking Accounts: Charles Schwab
High Yield Checking Account from ING DIRECT

I have a Schwab account and have nothing but nice things to say about them.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:39 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
ING need local bank account.....Schwab $100 min bal service fee $3...$2 each withdrawal fee for the first 3 per mo the $10 each time there after.....Bank Internetevery time account falls under $100 $5 maintenance fee. Etrade must own home!

So these dont sound that good...and there were lots of fees I did not list.
Any other ideas???

Old 02-25-2008, 08:57 PM

823 posts, read 2,215,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
ING need local bank account.....Schwab $100 min bal service fee $3...$2 each withdrawal fee for the first 3 per mo the $10 each time there after.....Bank Internetevery time account falls under $100 $5 maintenance fee. Etrade must own home!

So these dont sound that good...and there were lots of fees I did not list.
Any other ideas???

-Schwab has a $0 min balance and no service fees. (you want "high interest investor checking" not their regular checking)

-I don't know where you get the "must own home" for etrade. The only thing you need to avoid fees from etrade is to have a direct deposit of $200 or more a month. The only requirements are that you are 18 or over and have a SSN.

Another option is the HSBC Online Payment Account:
Online Payment Account, Learn More, HSBC Direct

Old 02-26-2008, 06:33 AM

652 posts, read 2,663,662 times
peteynice suggested the same ones I would. Will you have direct deposit? Most online banks have free checking with direct deposit. Also, it matters if you already have bad banking relationships(owe money to othere banks)
another idea is one of the big banks like wachovia. You can have an online account and they are in most areas. Atms all over. another idea is a credit union. SOME credit unions offer mainly online banking and belong to a credit union system (I forgot what it is called) where there are atms all over the US you can access for free and other branches. My hubby has had 2 credit union accounts for probably 20-23 yrs. moved all over the place. uses those for our "bill accounts" basically just for bill pay, but still has access.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance