Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 06:29 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22003yo View Post
Both of the credit unions I'm part of have all the online tools the big banks have, such as depositing checks with your phone.

I refinanced my home recently and my credit union had far better rates and lower fees than the big banks.
We've used 4 credit unions in the past too.... each of them were awesome and could do things big banks couldn't do like issue me a debit card at any of their branches (which I still couldn't do at Wells this past year!).

We needed to make some international transactions that were more difficult via our most recent CU and then on top of that there wasn't a branch in my city.. I had to drive 40 minutes (in good traffic). That's the reason why we stopped using them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 07:02 PM

50 posts, read 55,075 times
"Do you trust Wells Fargo now?"

I trust Wells Fargo as much as I trust a child with a Catholic priest. Stay away from big banks. Go to a credit union or small bank.

Old 09-26-2016, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangroush View Post
"Do you trust Wells Fargo now?"

I trust Wells Fargo as much as I trust a child with a Catholic priest. Stay away from big banks. Go to a credit union or small bank.
haha... actually I do trust most Catholic priests, so yes???

Old 09-26-2016, 10:10 PM

9,860 posts, read 7,732,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
We've used 4 credit unions in the past too.... each of them were awesome and could do things big banks couldn't do like issue me a debit card at any of their branches (which I still couldn't do at Wells this past year!).

We needed to make some international transactions that were more difficult via our most recent CU and then on top of that there wasn't a branch in my city.. I had to drive 40 minutes (in good traffic). That's the reason why we stopped using them.
We have a credit union for home and business accounts that handles just about everything we need, but I did open an account with a bank that I use solely for international wire transfers. And it's not WF or BofA.

Old 09-26-2016, 10:11 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,112,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
haha... actually I do trust most Catholic priests, so yes???
I would not trust them. I don't know anything about most especially when the census of US Catholic priests has been so seriously depleted.

Anyway, I have used WF for years at least as one of my banks. I also bank at Chase. I have never had an issue with WF. It makes no difference to me that they have bank managers falsely increasing the number of accounts.

Old 09-26-2016, 10:35 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
The "Big Banks" have outscored the regional banks for the last few years in customer service surveys. People are much happier with them overall and each year their rankings improve. Bank of America especially has been the highest scoring.

I would bet most people don't go into their bank but maybe once a month if that. Some might go more.

In fact I found a survey (from 2010 nonetheless, probably even higher nowadays) that shows that 6/10 people only go to the bank once a month. An additional 2/10 go once every two weeks or less (hunch is to cash their paychecks). And the remaining 2/10 who go once or twice a week are most likely the smaller business owners who deposit cash, at least most of them.

Now you can do almost everything from the comfort of your coach, including deposit checks. The vast majority of Americans have zero need to visit a branch or interact with local banking staff.

I was a member of a credit union once. Their limited resources showed in the lack of polish of their online tools, ebill pay, etc. I know "going local" is the hipster thing to do these days but local banks just can't touch the big ones when it comes to their depth of services.
Meh, you said it yourself. Most people don't need to pay for all that branch infrastructure of the big banks. So why do it? I never thought their customer service was all that great and they're always trying to charge some kind of fee for things, not to mention they've always paid the worst interest rates. I go to a credit union and the customer service is as good or better than the big banks. I know there are crappy credit unions out there, but mine isn't.

Not to mention the control these big banks have over our economy. You ignored that point entirely.

Old 09-26-2016, 10:37 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I would NOT go with a big bank for anything. Whores.

I've been with a Savings & Loan which was bought by a smaller bank and it's over 25 yrs with these smaller guys.

Go Elizabeth Warren!!!
I don't like Elizabeth Warren (although I partly agree with her about the big banks). I completely agree with your other points.

Old 09-26-2016, 11:01 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,930,229 times
I've been with Wells Fargo since they gave me my first boat loan in 1984. I visit the branch to make deposits or cash checks and always receive excellent teller service. I never get charged any fees for anything, so I have no problems with them. They got caught doing something that I believe all banks do. At this point, I would say they are the safest bank to deal with simply because EVERYBODY'S WATCHING THEM.

Old 09-26-2016, 11:28 PM

13,073 posts, read 7,511,991 times
One of the BigBanks honors me with their credit card @ 26% APR for maximum credit limit of $5k.
The nextdoor Credit Union honors me with their CC @7% and a limit of $10k.

Old 09-26-2016, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I don't like Elizabeth Warren (although I partly agree with her about the big banks). I completely agree with your other points.
Really? I guess I'm sorta surprised that you don't like her. Don't ask me why, since I really don't know you I really shouldn't have a reason. I love Warren.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance