Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 01:11 PM

10,743 posts, read 5,668,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Funeral industry profits are driven by playing on your emotions and make you feel cheap if you do not spend an exorbitant amount for their overpriced wares (kind of like weddings). If you are concerned about appearing 'cheap' to family members, one can only assume that they will be sharing the expense with you (?).

A cremation and a memorial service is quite common and an acceptable alternative to an expensive casket and burial plot (the largest expenses).

If you already have a family burial plot, another alternative to consider is a 'ceremonial casket.' Funeral homes offer these for viewings and even graveside services (but, rarely advertise the fact). They then collect the casket and bury the individual in an inexpensive model (replacing the interior of the ceremonial casket for future re-use).

Another good alternative is to shop caskets and markers online and make those arrangements before the fact. This will save you about 70-percent of the cost for the same thing you would buy from a funeral home.
FPNI

That's the plan for both my wife and I. Extravagant funerals are an incredible waste of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 06:08 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,342,677 times
Go for a prepaid cremation.

Skip a fancy service.

If you want something have a celebration at home, church or a restaurant.

Old 10-05-2016, 06:22 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Go for a prepaid cremation.

Skip a fancy service.

If you want something have a celebration at home, church or a restaurant.
Thanks everyone....I guess the moral of the story is that if I go cheap enough I won't need a policy!

Old 10-06-2016, 05:01 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,117,629 times
Final expense plans are typically a life insurance plan and given what you have said about your sister, she probably won't qualify for a typical life insurance plan and if you can get a guaranteed acceptance, it might be an option. Getting a $7000-10,000 plan should cover a basic funeral and other associated costs (final medical bills or whatever). As someone else suggested, look into a prepaid funeral plan. Often they are less expensive overall and often accumulate interest. I know my aunt had one and when she died, ended up with about $2000 extra in that plan over the cost of her funeral which was refunded to her estate after the bills were paid.

You can also look into other sources for life insurance for her. If you are her legal guardian, your employer sponsored life insurance plan might be an option. Talk to your HR person. Same if you have life insurance on yourself, you might be able to add a rider to your plan to cover her since she is disabled-but typically only if you are her legal guardian.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:20 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Thanks everyone....I guess the moral of the story is that if I go cheap enough I won't need a policy!
Think of it as tasteful and dignified, not cheap.

The service that I mentioned earlier, with coffee and cake, in the church hall probably cost less for food for 150 people as my MIL's funeral dinner at a restaurant cost for 15 people.

Old 10-06-2016, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Think of it as tasteful and dignified, not cheap.

The service that I mentioned earlier, with coffee and cake, in the church hall probably cost less for food for 150 people as my MIL's funeral dinner at a restaurant cost for 15 people.
Thanks....the funeral will be in a small town with no restaurant options beyond a greasy spoon and one I'd never pick for a group of people. There won't be a big fancy hearse or limousines for the family. No live music....no fancy food...maybe a few flowers....I dunno I guess that's wasteful too but I suppose plants that my black thumb would eventually kill would be a step up.

Not specific to your comments germaine but I never said I was planning anything extravagant...nor anything cheap. The latest hot thing is to revile any funeral that costs more than $100 as wasteful. I'm not doing pinebox...my sister doesn't want to be cremated and there is already a plot bought and paid for. Yes, dignified...not a pinebox and NOT a $25k casket.

Everyone planning their OWN funeral can do whatever they want...this is for my sister...and I will only go SO cheap for her...for myself, maybe I'll donate my body to science!

What I asked for were thoughts on final expenses policies...or I suppose options. Of which one, the one most have commented on is to do it cheap enough that I don't need any money.

Old 10-07-2016, 09:00 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,962,597 times
Talk to a independent agent who offers final expense. Different carriers have different underwriting standards.

Old 10-09-2016, 07:52 AM

22,334 posts, read 29,427,518 times
It just cost us 2k to have my father cremated and put into a cardboard box. It was $1900 for my mom in July of 14

Old 10-09-2016, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
It just cost us 2k to have my father cremated and put into a cardboard box. It was $1900 for my mom in July of 14
Did that cremation include a viewing and service beforehand?

Old 10-10-2016, 12:58 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Did that cremation include a viewing and service beforehand?
I wonder. Mom was cremated, and we had a service and refreshments at the church. Her cremation cost was under $900, but there were other expenses like the donation to the church and, of course, the food.

This is the place we used for cremation: Allentown, PA Cremation Services | Affordable Cremation Costs

I know it would have cost more if we'd let a funeral home handle it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance