Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 03:07 AM

356 posts, read 302,384 times

Advertisements

Hi all:

Aside from employer sponsored insurance, are there truly any viable insurance options out there? I am not talking about the "Affordable Health Care Act" which is a sham. Correct me if I am wrong, but, the deductibles for that plan are in the thousands. What about religious plans where members share the costs? Good or bad? The reason I ask is that temp jobs do not offer insurance, so, wondering what I can get as an alternative.

Thanks..
shaggy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 08:17 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,581,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Student66 View Post
Hi all:

Aside from employer sponsored insurance, are there truly any viable insurance options out there? I am not talking about the "Affordable Health Care Act" which is a sham. Correct me if I am wrong, but, the deductibles for that plan are in the thousands. What about religious plans where members share the costs? Good or bad? The reason I ask is that temp jobs do not offer insurance, so, wondering what I can get as an alternative.

Thanks..
shaggy
High deductibles are not a "sham". Just make sure you have the cash savings to cover it, and use the insurance for protection against really serious stuff like a broken bone or cancer.

Old 10-06-2016, 04:52 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,116,625 times
The ACA is not a health insurance plan, it is legislation that has give millions of people access to health insurance that did not have coverage before. There is a wealth of information on the internet about getting individual health insurance plans. Part of the ACA was the establishment of state marketplaces, which are central websites to shop various insurance company plans--basically a shopping mall for health insurance, to make the process easier. The only reason to buy a plan from the marketplace is if you get subsidies otherwise, you can go to any health insurance company and buy an individual plan.

Yes, you will have deductibles/out of pocket costs but those can range from $500 to $12,000. I guess I'm not sure why you think that is a bad thing. Even with employer sponsored plans you will see a range of deductibles/out of pocket costs like this.

If your income is low enough, you will qualify for subsidies for your premiums and/or out of pocket costs. I know people that make so little that they are paying $10-20/month for their premiums and have a max out of pocket of $1500. That is what the ACA has done for people. Such a "sham"

Old 10-06-2016, 05:39 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
High deductibles are not a "sham". Just make sure you have the cash savings to cover it, and use the insurance for protection against really serious stuff like a broken bone or cancer.

Individual mandate + insurance overpriced by design + taxpayer subsidies + excessive deductibles way out of reach of those who need the premium subsidies = SCAM.

If you think someone earning $18K can afford the high dedictibles, I have a bridge to sell you.

Old 10-06-2016, 05:44 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
The ACA is not a health insurance plan, it is legislation that has give millions of people access to health insurance that did not have coverage before. There is a wealth of information on the internet about getting individual health insurance plans. Part of the ACA was the establishment of state marketplaces, which are central websites to shop various insurance company plans--basically a shopping mall for health insurance, to make the process easier. The only reason to buy a plan from the marketplace is if you get subsidies otherwise, you can go to any health insurance company and buy an individual plan.

Yes, you will have deductibles/out of pocket costs but those can range from $500 to $12,000. I guess I'm not sure why you think that is a bad thing. Even with employer sponsored plans you will see a range of deductibles/out of pocket costs like this.

If your income is low enough, you will qualify for subsidies for your premiums and/or out of pocket costs. I know people that make so little that they are paying $10-20/month for their premiums and have a max out of pocket of $1500. That is what the ACA has done for people. Such a "sham"

??? ??? ??? ??? Other than Medicaid, where are the subsidies for out of pocket costs?

Old 10-06-2016, 07:21 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,315,042 times
OP: ACA is not a sham but it's not cheap unless you get a subsidy.

"Religious plans" are not insurance. They are just a loophole. They are not obligated to pay your medical expenses.

If you are under 26, perhaps you can get coverage on your parent's policies.

The #1 reason for bankruptcy is unpaid medical bills. If you get cancer with no insurance, you could go bankrupt.

As one alternative, if you can qualify, perhaps you could emigrate to Canada or Australia. They both offer Medicare for all.

Old 10-06-2016, 07:56 AM

1,347 posts, read 945,147 times
Quote:
Dang. My employer sponsored insurance that covers me alone is $150/month, for a plan with a $1750 deductible and $4000 annual OOP max. And I work for a decent size corporation.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:07 AM

906 posts, read 1,766,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Individual mandate + insurance overpriced by design + taxpayer subsidies + excessive deductibles way out of reach of those who need the premium subsidies = SCAM.

If you think someone earning $18K can afford the high dedictibles, I have a bridge to sell you.
In states that expanded Medicaid, someone earning $18K would not be buying insurance through the marketplace. They would have Medicaid.

The biggest issue with the ACA is it assumed that young and healthy individuals would buy plans on the marketplace and dilute out the cost of covering older and sicker people. This unfortunately did not happen and the risk pool increased for insurance companies, which forced them to raise premiums or drop out of the ACA marketplaces completely.

The true scam in America is that healthcare is not considered a right for all citizens. Almost every other developed country has some form of a single payer system with the option for supplemental private insurance. Why should we only provide the right for comprehensive care to poor and elderly? Why should we saddle companies with paying insane insurance premiums on behalf of their employees?

Old 10-06-2016, 11:36 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,116,625 times
Quote:

They don't have to afford high deductibles, they would get subsidies if they purchase a silver plan on both premiums and out of pocket costs. At 18K, they would pay little to no premiums and likely have an out of pocket max in the $1500 range. How can you not know this by now?

Quote:
??? ??? ??? ??? Other than Medicaid, where are the subsidies for out of pocket costs?
It's part of the ACA, feel free to google subsidies for low income people with the ACA or go online to the marketplace and price out plans in that income range....

Old 10-06-2016, 11:55 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times
Quote:
This example is the exception rather than the rule. Most working people are faced with the choice of paying 2-3 times their pre-ACA premium to keep their original policy, or spending about the same amount as they were pre-ACA for lesser coverage through the marketplace with deductibles in the $5000-$7000 range per person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance