Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 12:54 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,388,499 times

Advertisements

I would pay-off the high interest [6.0%] loan first. Then refinance it at a low fixed rate, and use the cash to pay-off the 3.75% loan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 09:53 AM

1,853 posts, read 1,955,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Actually, now that you mention it, take PMI into consideration after B is paid off. I'm unsure of what properties still have the PMI but I do recommend you put the extra money towards whatever still has a PMI, THEN follow the D>C>A payoff schedule because I agree with you, PMI is wasted money.
Agreed. Properties C+D have PMI, so the payoff schedule still applies. I am considering splitting the extra cash flow to get below the PMI threshold for both properties.

Old 10-07-2016, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
I'd say pay off the $22k loan right away, as in, write a check right now. You can get a HELOC if you need liquidity, but you gain the advantage of only paying interest between the time you buy the flip and when you sell it. You'd pay no interest (on that amount) between flips. With the $22k loan you are always paying interest even when you aren't using the cash.
I am not touching the $130K because that is set aside for a different strategy that I don't want to discuss here. Also, my tenants are paying interest on Property B. I'd like to keep the financials limited this basket of properties only, meaning the revenue that is generated is used for the accelerated paydown.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
Think again. Now at one time I wanted paid off properties until I realized it did not make sense.
I did refi down to 15 year mortgages chasing rates. I've bought as high as 12% and when things got near 6% I grabbed the lowest rate I could thinking this was a once in a lifetime opportunity.

I've realized that paid off properties are not making you money. I'm retired so I want my properties to pay me. I recently took a $1800 a month "cash flow" from rent increases and turned it into nearly $400,000 lump some. I'll be able to do this every couple of years with my portfolio of properties and my LTV is STILL decreasing. Would you rather have $1800 a month or a $400,000 lump some?

House rich, cash POOR? I agree with you that a paid off house should be worth something but my recent experience shows how the BANK could force you to SELL your property if you needed some cash or if they let you keep it they will probably charge you and arm and a leg JUST to get the extra money you stuck back into it.

The property I was taking money out of (less than 50% of value) WAS paid off and I have a low LTV on all my properties BUT they made me file for SS AND set up monthly payments out of retirement accounts!
UM, WHY? I'm not taking money out of those accounts BECAUSE I don't need the money and plan to delay SS til 70 because I don't need the money! It's there if I need it to pay you, why isn't that enough? Of course I stopped SS and the retirement accounts after the loan funded. But that is the idiocy that you will come upon from banks. I also have TWO govt. pensions and nearly a 40 year rental history.

Paid off house ain't worth what you'd think it should be.
I appreciate your insights. I believe we're in different phases of life and have different priorities. For me, 4X my current cash flow + having these 4 assets fully paid off is important.

Please keep in mind, this is just one facet of my financial profile -- I am not discussing the other areas as they are not directly related.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I would pay-off the high interest [6.0%] loan first. Then refinance it at a low fixed rate, and use the cash to pay-off the 3.75% loan.
Sounds like we have a consensus here.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:02 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Agreed. Properties C+D have PMI, so the payoff schedule still applies. I am considering splitting the extra cash flow to get below the PMI threshold for both properties.
How much do you need to pay down C and how much do you need to pay down D to eliminate PMI?

Old 10-07-2016, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
How much do you need to pay down C and how much do you need to pay down D to eliminate PMI?
I need to run the updated numbers, however I am estimating about $36K across the two properties to bring them to 78% LTV, which will knock out the PMI. I might be able to get the PMI removed at 80%, however need to consult the mortgage docs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance