Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 10:15 PM

19 posts, read 22,114 times

Advertisements

Income-$1350 per month Social Security (for both of us)
$500 rental income (Renting out two RV's on the property)
———————————
$1900 per month

Car insurance- $150 per mo (only one of us will drive)
Car upkeep-$50
Property Taxes-$150 (assuming it triples by then)
Internet-$100
Food-$600
Personal Hygiene-$100
Clothing-$50
Entertainment-100
Church donation-$75
Home Upkeep-$100
Gas-$125
Cycling-$75 (Bike upkeep, clothing, tires,etc)
Solar Panels/battery upkeep-$25
Generator Batteries-wintertime-$15
Wood-$15
——————————
$1725 per mo.

Currently ages 50 & 55. We'd live in a 280 sq ft tiny home with a large garage beside it... on 20 acres we just bought. Wood stove for heat. A little propane used for two appliances. Two year round springs provide water. No medical costs due to being Native American. This leaves almost $200 leftover per mo. Hopefully the majority of the leftover $$ will be saved for our sons inheritance.

Does this seem do-able? The land + home is worth a little over a hundred thousand dollars (being conservative). We would also grow much of our food. As we age, we will need to move because the town is located in a very remote area and on a very dangerous road.

We also might be foster parents again but now doing what’s called emergency placement (children would stay with us up to 48 hrs, arriving at all hrs of hte night until they found placement). We did foster care for 6 years some time back but it costs us a little money out of our pocket (about $100 month) because the subsidy was so low. We had a total of 8 kids in 6 years.

Does this seem like a decent enough retirement plan??
Would you enjoy it??

Last edited by CarolinaM; 10-24-2016 at 10:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 11:59 PM

1,488 posts, read 1,965,190 times
Hey OP I believe you will get better responses if this was moved to the "retirement" part of CD. My take is that your retirement plan has moderate risk. Meaning its not a bad plan but you could improve it by making some easy adjustments. A few things to consider:

-Do you have any savings? Your saving about 2,100/year which is good but for your first 5-6 years of retirement your in danger of scrambling to find money for a big surprise expense if you don't have something set aside.

-Speaking of which, since $500 of your income comes from rental make sure to have a contingency plan for when you have a vacancy and the time it takes to find a new tenant. After all, if it takes you 1 month to find a tenant you may be down $250 for that month.

-Why is your food budget so high? I'm assuming that its just the two of you. You may want to look into ways to cut the cost. I eat a very healthy diet with fruits, vegetables, meat, fish etc. and I only spend $120/month on food.

-Same question for internet and car insurance. Why is it so high? We have two cars fully insured for only $1050/month and we are on the younger side. At your age, with only one person driving and 1 car; your insurance should be much lower. I can understand the internet being high if you live in a remote area with few options. Either way I would shop around for a better rate for both of these services.

-I think you can also save $5-10 in a few of the other categories if you do some research on the internet. It may not seem like a lot but if you can shave $10 off 5 of your expenses; that's an extra $50 in your pocket every month. For example, if you buy bulk personal hygiene items online (6 mo-1 year supply) your average monthly expense may come down to $85-90.

Overall, I think your plan is ok. If nothing goes wrong you will be fine. However, life is unpredictable. So its good to be prepared. If you decide to do some serious research I think you can easily increase your monthly savings from $175/mo to $300-450 range. This will give you more options in retirement and will also help out with the child foster endeavor that you want to get into. Good luck!

Old 10-25-2016, 12:12 AM

4,490 posts, read 3,925,838 times
You will probably have more money than you expect since, living in a 280 sf house with 2 adults and a foster kid, one of you is bound to kill the other within the first year.

Old 10-25-2016, 12:14 AM

19 posts, read 22,114 times
Lol yes so true JustMike! That is a teeny tiny area.

My guess is we'd only be able to take one or two children under 2 years old due to the size of the house, and only for up to a few days. But we could babysit for the other foster parents for one night. I think it would be fine if most of the day was spent having fun hiking, fishing swimming, panning for gold etc...to wear them out a little. Technically, emergency foster parents are only licensed for up to 48 hrs... but it can sometimes take an extra day for placement

Just Griffon-We'd have about 125 thousand+ saved (in my estimation) but I want it to go to my son as his inheritance. We live simply because that is what we enjoy. I wasn't sure of the cost of car insurance for a Senior who'd be driving so just guessed. I assumed a few accidents (just to be on the safe side) so the insurance could be higher. Food costs could easily go down, especially since some of it would come from our garden. As you noticed, most costs could probably decrease pretty easily except the internet

For some reason, there was a message saying a moderator had to approve my messages then it just didn't happen, no posts appeared....so my response for both is in this post.

Last edited by CarolinaM; 10-25-2016 at 01:03 AM..

Old 10-25-2016, 05:34 AM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times
When do you plan to retire?

How do you cover medical costs until age 65?

Old 10-25-2016, 06:16 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,930,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaM View Post
Income-$1350 per month Social Security (for both of us)
$500 rental income (Renting out two RV's on the property)
———————————
$1900 per month

Car insurance- $150 per mo (only one of us will drive)
Car upkeep-$50
Property Taxes-$150 (assuming it triples by then)
Internet-$100
Food-$600
Personal Hygiene-$100
Clothing-$50
Entertainment-100
Church donation-$75
Home Upkeep-$100
Gas-$125
Cycling-$75 (Bike upkeep, clothing, tires,etc)
Solar Panels/battery upkeep-$25
Generator Batteries-wintertime-$15
Wood-$15
——————————
$1725 per mo.

Currently ages 50 & 55. We'd live in a 280 sq ft tiny home with a large garage beside it... on 20 acres we just bought. Wood stove for heat. A little propane used for two appliances. Two year round springs provide water. No medical costs due to being Native American. This leaves almost $200 leftover per mo. Hopefully the majority of the leftover $$ will be saved for our sons inheritance.

Does this seem do-able? The land + home is worth a little over a hundred thousand dollars (being conservative). We would also grow much of our food. As we age, we will need to move because the town is located in a very remote area and on a very dangerous road.

We also might be foster parents again but now doing what’s called emergency placement (children would stay with us up to 48 hrs, arriving at all hrs of hte night until they found placement). We did foster care for 6 years some time back but it costs us a little money out of our pocket (about $100 month) because the subsidy was so low. We had a total of 8 kids in 6 years.

Does this seem like a decent enough retirement plan??
Would you enjoy it??
Some months you will make money, by the end of the year or second year you will be losing money, possibly a-lot of money. You forgot to account for the upkeep of the RV's, once leased out they need to stay in working order. Once leased out if something breaks you need to fix or replace it, if something breaks you really can not run down to the local Home Depot for RV parts. Also, you seem to be basing this number ($500) off both being rented, there will be months only one is rented and maybe a time when neither are rented. Finally, tenants interested in living in RV's are not going to be the best tenants, you are in for a world of headaches when one of them does something stupid or does not pay. (Breaking Bad popped into my head here.)

I suggest you find another way to supplement your retirement, that does not rely on people who are willing to live in an RV.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:11 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
Whoa!

Are you suggesting living entirely off Social Security?

Is that seriously possible?

Property taxes $150 a month? WTF? Do you live in Mexico?

Old 10-25-2016, 09:32 AM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
You added $1350 + $500 and got $1900 when it should be $1850. With expenses of $1725, that leaves only $125 per month left over, not close to $200 as you estimated. I think that is cutting it too close to the bone.

Also, realistically, will it be easy to rent those 2 RVs and for the price that you are hoping? Since that is a large percentage of your potential income, I would make sure that is in place and will be steady before you retire.

Best of luck to you.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:42 AM

10,833 posts, read 14,927,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Whoa!

Are you suggesting living entirely off Social Security?

Is that seriously possible?

Property taxes $150 a month? WTF? Do you live in Mexico?
Maybe I missed it but I didn't think I saw anything for that "free" Medicare insurance?

Medicare Part B premiums are $121.80 each or $243.60 for a couple.

My wife and I have Plan G insurance and my premium is $133.28 while the wife pays $123.02 for a total of $256.30.

We also have a Plan D for pharmacy for which I pay $44.70 while the wife pays $39.80 for a total of $84.50.

Add em all up together and our free Medicare costs only $584.40 each and every month! I didn't see where the OP had this on his budget.

And then there is dental insurance for which pay a total of $60.00/month so we end up at $644.40.

Old 10-25-2016, 10:27 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
No, it is not doable. You have zero money for unexpected expenses, and you are relying on both RVs being permanently occupied. Is an agency going to foster a child into what is basically a big shack?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance