Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 07:17 PM

2,484 posts, read 1,857,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Not typically, typically you need checking since the debit cards only work from drawing from checking. If you get a savings account, you get an ATM card only. Edit: This experience is from at least four different banks that I had accounts with, two credit unions and two traditional banks.
Sorry, I did mean to say ATM card. I guess I have debit cards on the mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2016, 07:24 PM

102,126 posts, read 107,381,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Most companies offer direct deposit.
This.

Old 11-03-2016, 10:41 PM

13,113 posts, read 20,856,336 times
As an employer, my obligation is to pay my employees when due for what is due. It is their responsibility to safeguard the payment they receive.

As for paying a second time, that is entirely depending on your employer. Nobody knows who they are, what they are like and if they are the type of company that cares. Some companies will provide a token amount out of sympathy while other will wonder who the heck you think you are to even ask. Many companies will not repay as it can open a can of worms they really see no need to open.

Old 11-03-2016, 11:01 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,786,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Normal for who?

I hate the elitists in this thread.

I was 18 and could not get a checking account because I had no credit established.

You never know why a person does not have a bank account.

Many banks have eliminated free checking.like my bank BOA.
It's elitist now to have a checking account?

Ya'll stay back, go find a safe zone, I don't want to trigger anyone...

I had a checking account at 16 with my first job, it might have had my dad as a cosigner, I don't recall. But I did open another checking account at 18 that I know I opened on my own as I still have the darn thing (and the credit account from the same bank).

I've never been referred to as an elitist before, and to think it's over a simple checking account of all things...

Old 11-04-2016, 12:15 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,538,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDrenter223 View Post
It's elitist now to have a checking account?

Ya'll stay back, go find a safe zone, I don't want to trigger anyone...

I had a checking account at 16 with my first job, it might have had my dad as a cosigner, I don't recall. But I did open another checking account at 18 that I know I opened on my own as I still have the darn thing (and the credit account from the same bank).

I've never been referred to as an elitist before, and to think it's over a simple checking account of all things...
Well, to be fair, a 16 year old isn't living hand to mouth and having to support oneself. The checking account was a learning experience directed by your dad, sounds like. And maybe you got paid more than this guy, when you were out and supporting yourself totally in your early 20s. I'm also guessing you're a male, and as such, automatically got paid more than females in your age bracket and with a similar background.

This guy may be broke. I remember being the same way when I was young. Unless you carried a certain balance, the banks would charge a service fee. I didn't have an extra dollar to spare. I was already living on cans of green beans, so I could pay my rent, utilities, car note (used car), and insurance. So I didn't have a checking account for a while.

However, some people don't have bank accounts because they have creditors who are looking to take the money that is owed them.

I don't know which the case is with this OP. But I bet he gets a checking account now. I hate to hear of someone getting robbed of his paycheck, though. That's terrible.

Old 11-04-2016, 11:26 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,574,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Maybe I am in a different reading class.

The OP didn't cash the check. The robber did. Thus why he is now inquiring if his issuer (employer)can send him another one in lieu of this incident.

My employer sent one out after I had been in the hospital and they mailed it to my street address, but not my house address #. They pressed charges of fraud against the entity who did cash the original check. Took em months but they got the funds back.

Now if the OP got robbed AFTER he cashed his own paycheck then...all bets are off. He is at a loss.

You are in a different reading class. The OP said they CASHED the check at a check cashing place and got robbed.

That's what people do at check cashing places. They walk out with cash.

That's why you have to have pay attention as to who is around you. Especially in this type of environment.

The criminals know that person who enter the place and is now leaving is leaving with cash.

Old 11-04-2016, 11:34 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,574,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
First, a person has to have money for renters' insurance. Second, a person needs money to open a checking or savings account. Since the OP is going to a check cashing place, there likely isn't money left for either after the fees that those places charge.

Third, along with needing money to open an account, financial institutions need ID (usually a driver's license).
If you're working you should have a checking/savings account. Obviously the OP has some money, they were cashing their paycheck. It costs you nothing these days, most banks offer free checking/svaings and give you more checks than you will ever write.

Here in CA if you don't have a driver's license you can get a state issued ID. I would imagine it is like that in most states. The OP is employed, the employer has to know who they are, that usually requires showing a picture ID when getting hired.

The only thing you're right on is renter's insurance is an extra expense.

The rest is nothing but excuses, if your mother had been a man she would have been your father.

This sucks for sure, but the OP should get an account in a bank.

Old 11-04-2016, 11:43 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,009,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Or a savings account
In a perfect world yes , but ALOT of folks are scraping by paycheck to paycheck

Old 11-04-2016, 12:35 PM

813 posts, read 598,441 times
Six pages of noise. The answer is No, your employer will not reissue a check that was cashed by you.

Good luck, Rg

Old 11-04-2016, 01:14 PM

97 posts, read 138,094 times
OP - I am sorry this happened to you. I had the same thing happen to me many years ago when I started a new job and had not yet set up a bank account or direct deposit. Unfortunately, once your check is cashed, there is not much you can do. If you have a good relationship with your employer, you may be able to ask for an advance on your next paycheck but I doubt they would replace what you lost. I would highly recommend that you look into getting a bank account and direct deposit - that was the first thing I did after this happened to me. There are so many free checking account options available these days - maybe you have a trusted friend, family member, or coworker who could help you find a good option?

FYI for everyone responding - not every place that cashes checks is in a bad part of town (I was robbed at gunpoint in a shopping center parking lot in an upper middle class part of town), many people living paycheck to paycheck without a bank account won't have either homeowner's or renter's insurance, and a lot of people are not necessarily aware of how to go about getting a free checking account and direct deposit.

This should probably be a new topic but I really believe that basic personal financial management should be taught in middle/early high school before people enter the workforce! I made a point to learn as much as I could after this happened to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance