Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 03:43 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
I don't know about that. Have you seen the recent videos of high school kids walking through the hallways with Trump/Pence signs chanting "White Power", or the middle school students yelling "Build the Wall" at their Latino classmates in the school cafeteria? Or the news stories about Muslims and other minorities (some, native-born American citizens) being harassed and told to get out of the country because "we (Trump) won"?

I believe that the vast majority of Trump supporters aren't outright bigots and racists, but those who are, now feel validated by Trump's election. I'm a minority, and the normalization of this behavior (especially for the next generation) worries me. It also worries thousands of others, which is why we're probably going to see many more protests.
I agree this is the scariest part of it so far. I hope that is just an immediate reaction and will settle down soon - I believe Trump is a jack*ss, but I don't think he is actually that much of a bigot. I think he just used those people for votes. I hope, anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2016, 03:48 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
You nailed it with the bold comment. I'm African American and live in the deep south. I've been met with a double doozy this year as Trump winning the Presidential elect and the Black Lives Matter rallies. There's been more Caucasians being open about their opinions about how black people should respond to hate and discrimination, and their opinion is to get over it. Easy to say when you're a Caucasian. What doesn't sit well with me is how many people that may have been closet bigots that now feel they have the power to share their feelings. If the President elect states it, who oversees our country, then I can come right out and say what I think.

As a black male, this year has been a sad one for me. Mainly due to just what you and I stated above. People just say what they want and they have no clarity on how that other group may think or feel. I'm not saying all Caucasians are privileged, but I can say in some matters life is a little bit easier for them.
I understand your feelings. I feel the same way as a female. Trump just validated all the creepy old pervs who think women should be subservient supermodels who exist only to look good and serve men. And now for 4 years I have to see Melania Trump, a throwback to pre-feminism days, held up as a role model. Blech.

Old 11-11-2016, 07:58 PM

25,573 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
I understand your feelings. I feel the same way as a female. Trump just validated all the creepy old pervs who think women should be subservient supermodels who exist only to look good and serve men. And now for 4 years I have to see Melania Trump, a throwback to pre-feminism days, held up as a role model. Blech.
And yet here you are, judging her by her looks.

Old 11-11-2016, 08:33 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
They are both deeply flawed character.

Old 11-12-2016, 06:03 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,254,506 times
And what does all this talk have to do with personal finance, if you guys and gals wish to write that stuff, then why don't you do it in the politics section, this topic is "It Looks Like Trump will be Great for Me (upper middle class white guy)" maybe think about that before posting any more garbage opinions unless they relate to the topic. I do not go to the politics section because I do not wish to read all the talking points of both parties, I suspect other members might feel the same way.

Now back on topic, so far Trump getting elected has been good for our portfolio, we are upper middle class, I am a 68 year old white guy married to a brown lady, not that any of the last part matters except for what the op stated in his topic title. Time will tell how our new president works out, I had great hope for our last pres and have been sadly disappointed but he was good for the stock market by making interest rates so low than none of us had a choice of where else to keep our 401k's, I would have preferred a steady 5 or 6% cd over the roller coaster ride the last years have been but that is just me.

Old 11-12-2016, 10:35 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,018,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Well if Trump is serious about tariffs any savings i have will get wiped out because i would have to pay higher costs of goods. I think he said 45%?
He did indeed say that he would slap 45% tariffs on China, but he has already backed away from that claim by creating various new qualifiers such as "only if they refuse to negotiate with us."

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I also make over $110,000,but since i work 2 full time jobs my taxes are going to be over the place. I always overpay SS taxes, strange.
This is actually a common thing among people who work in two positions covered by payroll taxes. You could of course have claimed a refund of your excess payroll tax withholding on Line 71 of your (2015) Form 1040. The maximum SS withholding for that year was $118,500 times 6.2% which comes to $7,347. If any more than that was withheld, you could file an amended return (Form 1040-X) to get the over-payment back.

Old 11-12-2016, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Listen, if congress & him abolish AMT, that'll be silver lining enough for me.
The major problem with the AMT is the extra paperwork and calculations one has to go through. If your income is enough to trigger it, it is quite unlikely that the actual additional tax is going to have any significant effect on your lifestyle. You have a ton of money when you start a Form 6251, and you still have a ton when you are finally done.

Old 11-12-2016, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janster100 View Post
Perhaps you should turn off MSNBC.
As far as I know, MSNBC does not carry Untold Stories of the ER. If they do, please let me know, and I will endeavor to look up the local channel number that carries their programming.

Meanwhile, there is indeed a spirit of illiberal chaos and anarchy afoot in the world that has only been fed by Tuesday's election results. The international standing of the US has suddenly deteriorated. That of Russia and China has been given a boost. This does not bode well for US interests.

Old 11-12-2016, 11:09 AM

57 posts, read 66,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
On average, white guys make the salaries that will benefit from the new tax brackets.

His tax plan benefits those who make more than 152k a year. 99% of his voters don't make that.

Matter of fact, he's raising taxes on his idiot supporters. (fact, people in poor red states avg less than 30k a year). lol

Old 11-12-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
And what does all this talk have to do with personal finance...
There is no such thing a personal finance. There are only individual strategies for dealing with financial fallout from all the suddenly changed things that have been talked about here. What part of your portfolio for instance would be exposed to Trump's announced plans to reduce non-entitlement, non-defense spending by 1% percent across the board in each succeeding year going forward? Have you thought that through as an individual investor yet? If not, then maybe its a good thing that you saw it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance