Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 06:20 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,843,959 times

Advertisements

well i found part of your problem--- you recently posted asking about ordering DirectTV NFL...if you cant afford life now, DONT add expensive cable!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 06:23 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Look at each of your expenses and see how you might reduce each one. How much is your cellphone? I pay $34. a month for two phones, with Consumer Cellular.
Can you trade in your car for a paid for used car? The insurance will be less too.
Is there any subsidized housing near you?

You just need a reset to get yourself back to a comfortable place. You will gain back what you lost, but give yourself the gift of not being over extended.

Old 11-28-2016, 06:25 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondunion View Post

I am recently divorced...
I live with family
I work full time...
I have a car payment, car insurance and cell phone bills which are $700 per month...

...how in the world I can ever get a place alone ...?
Step One:
Live close enough to the job you have to walk or bicycle there.
Have a landline phone.
EXPECT to share that home.

Step Two:
Look for a better paying job.
Improve your job skills.

Quote:
What programs besides food stamps are out there...
Wrong approach. YOU have to fix it.

Old 11-28-2016, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

Wrong approach. YOU have to fix it.
I think ( or i hope) he was asking for temporary, not long term. Theres no assistance though to help me manage his bills better though.

Old 11-28-2016, 06:37 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
I think ( or i hope) he was asking for temporary, not long term. Theres no assistance though to help me manage his bills better though.
He already has temporary assistance - living with his folks. To move out, that car payment has to go, or his income has to go up.

Old 11-28-2016, 06:38 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,171,699 times
I would sell the car if it has equity, if not, I would release it to the lender, being that your credit is trashed anyway.

I would get a bus card(if applicable).

I would be very submissive(compliant) and helpful( chores, expenses) to those I'm staying with.

I would not be buying tobacco, beer, luxuries etc....

I would be working two jobs and saving every cent possible for a beater car.

I highly recommend you read "The Total Money Makeover" by Dave Ramsey to learn sound personal financial skills.

Old 11-28-2016, 06:44 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
I would sell the car if it has equity, if not, I would release it to the lender, being that your credit is trashed anyway.

I would get a bus card(if applicable).

I would be very submissive(compliant) and helpful( chores, expenses) to those I'm staying with.

I would not be buying tobacco, beer, luxuries etc....

I would be working two jobs and saving every cent possible for a beater car.

I highly recommend you read "The Total Money Makeover" by Dave Ramsey to learn sound personal financial skills.
It is absolutely crucial that OP not do this if the lender for the car is the same bank as OP's checking or savings account. They can easily sell the car for less than the amount owed and seize funds from OP's bank account(s) to make up the difference without even getting a court order first.

Even at a different bank, they can sit around like a hawk for OP's income to go up, then swoop in and start garnishing it. Yes they would have to file a lawsuit first but if the amount is large enough, they are likely to do it.

Old 11-28-2016, 06:46 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,931,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondunion View Post
Hey all,

I am recently divorced pretty much lost everything and my credit went in the toilet. I live in pa with family in a very uncomfortable situation. I work full time but after taxes I make $1500 a month. I have a car payment , car insurance and cell phone bills which are $700 per month leaving me $800 left over which with gas and odds and ends don't go far, I can't seem to figure out how in the world I can ever get a place alone and afford rent, electric, etc. What programs besides food stamps are out there for someone like me to actually be able to live. Cause I honestly feel hopeless.
Make more money, 2nd job, 3rd job...

Sell your car, and buy a beater, find cheaper insurance, and get rid of your fancy cell phone for a cheap prepaid one.

You cannot afford the comforts people have come to believe are needs.

Old 11-28-2016, 07:02 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,171,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
It is absolutely crucial that OP not do this if the lender for the car is the same bank as OP's checking or savings account. They can easily sell the car for less than the amount owed and seize funds from OP's bank account(s) to make up the difference without even getting a court order first.

Even at a different bank, they can sit around like a hawk for OP's income to go up, then swoop in and start garnishing it. Yes they would have to file a lawsuit first but if the amount is large enough, they are likely to do it.
This is highly unlikely and even if they did he should have time to get a beater. Maintaining a high payment and insurance is a huge detriment. He could also talk to the lender about selling the car and financing the difference if he is not too underwater. Only he knows this.

Old 11-28-2016, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post

That crackpot's plan isnt for poor, its for people who already have money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance