Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 08:15 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times

Advertisements

As others have already said.
1. Cut expenses to the bone. Thinking about buying a coffee and a donut at work or getting fast food for lunch? Heck, no! Take a thermos of coffee and all the snacks and food you will need that day from home.

2. Earn extra money any way that you can earn it. Walk your neighbor's dog for money, shovel all the sidewalks in your neighborhood for cash or tips, get babysitting jobs for Friday & Saturday night, sell anything that you have that you don't need, drive for Uber. Even $5 here and $10 there will add up.

And, if you get a part time job plus do all of those extra things you will earn money even faster!

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 08:40 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,237,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
Nonsense. The plan is designed to work for any income level. It also recommends selling unnecessary assets and getting second jobs, which is universal.
If you're making $9 an hour, there is no snowball in the freaking world that will help you. You don't have any "assets" worth anything at that level. Maybe household junk worth a few hundred. If you've got a crap minimum wage or near-minimum wage job with a variable schedule, getting a 2nd job that will accommodate that is not so easy. Or maybe you already have two jobs, because they both give you about 20-25 hours each.

I know since I heard Dave take a call once from someone in that situation, and he had no help for her. The poor woman was sobbing. His basic answer to her, as nicely as he could say it, was that she needed to make more money. He didn't say so, but she was going to have to go back to school.

Dave Ramsey's advice works well for people in the middle income ranges who don't manage money well, don't budget, etc...

Old 11-28-2016, 09:36 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
if he was making $53k before, why would he lose the job with a divorce? And how come he doesn't have the skills that net him that much now that he can get another similarly paying job?

Not knocking him taking a job to get by on, but wondering why he isn't leveraging his skills for a better job

Old 11-28-2016, 09:38 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Isn't OP living rent-free with his parents? He can still get rid of the car but paying rent will more than exceed the savings from that.
Um, no it will not. Based on OP's numbers the total cost of that car is probably almost $750/month once we include gas, maintenance, parking, and incidentals on top of the lease and the insurance, and depending on the state laws, ad valorem taxes. Unless you are in an extremely high cost area you should be able to find a room for rent for significantly less than that. It is entirely possible that living rent-free is not the deal you think it is once the car cost is factored in.

Old 11-28-2016, 09:39 PM

8 posts, read 5,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
if he was making $53k before, why would he lose the job with a divorce? And how come he doesn't have the skills that net him that much now that he can get another similarly paying job?

Not knocking him taking a job to get by on, but wondering why he isn't leveraging his skills for a better job
I am currently looking for job in my field and pay just moving with family I am in less populated section of pa and jobs few and far between. I was in new Jersey before this very populated area.

BTW I am a he lol not a she.

Lease has lot of time left. And I can't get cheaper car insurance cause my credit sucks every place I check wants $200 or more per month

Old 11-28-2016, 09:50 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondunion View Post
I am currently looking for job in my field and pay just moving with family I am in less populated section of pa and jobs few and far between. I was in new Jersey before this very populated area.

BTW I am a he lol not a she.

Lease has lot of time left. And I can't get cheaper car insurance cause my credit sucks every place I check wants $200 or more per month
All is not lost...good luck finding another job in your field with similar pay as the old one.

Old 11-28-2016, 10:29 PM

804 posts, read 545,449 times
I could say a lot more but I would cut back on the

A. Insurance
B. Fancy phone
C. Try to walk to save gas
D. Do not buy food. If you have to then get food groups that can not spoil.

Sleeo only four hours a day and do not waste a second.
Think about other lesser wanted work like Radioactive isotope testing, nude body art, and Go for your benefits.
things you are skilled at.

You can duck out in a diner, gym, hospital, airport, or even storage unit. Sometimes 24/7 and other times are limited. JUST REMEMBER TO STAY HYGIENICALLY CLEAN. People will get mad at you for not looking like a slave ( employed person ).

Free internet can be obtained via places like the library. You can use VOIP services for phone (the most cheapest rates ).

Try hooking up with somebody. A 30 year old virgin girl. Another dude who needs shelter and have a real job. Etc. Be aware not everybody is decent.

The problem is that you need a $20 dollar per hour job. You need a job cent

Do not forget to talk to be a man and look for women. You need to keep your sanity as well.

Old 11-28-2016, 11:13 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioToCO View Post
Why not? $550 car payment, $100 insurance, $50 cell phone. I personally would never have a car payment that high on any income, but people do it all the time.
The bolded is the problem. If everyone else jumps off a cliff, should more people copy that behavior, too?

Old 11-28-2016, 11:16 PM

I wonder if you can get your cell phone bill down. Have you ever tried Republic Wireless? They have plans for as little as $25, and I am pretty sure that includes a decent amount of data.

Republic Wireless becomes 50% More Frugal with the Moto G: A Review

Old 11-28-2016, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Rent a room within walking distance of work and sell the car, if you can. I stayed afloat for many years by doing just that.
And honestly, I don't see how $800 isn't enough after car payment, etc. unless you are giving your family rent money or you have a super long commute. I don't have a commute, and that saves a ton of money. But I only have about $800 left over after rent and all recurring bills are paid--and I live in high cost California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance