Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 10:58 PM

4 posts, read 4,709 times

Advertisements

I am a manic spender. I cover my basic bills ea month and then spend every bit left. Advice such as just don't do it, hide it from yourself, invest in accounts that have major early withdrawal policies don't work for me. I know -- I have tried an endless number of approaches, all to no avail.

My pattern is that with any savings account situation, I'll first stop contributing, and then I'll jump through hoops to get it out (no matter the expense). I don't know any cosigners (I have tried having others hold my money and it went horribly) who I would not end up ruining a relationship with.

Yes, I need some therapy but I also really want to find a way to legally lock down my money immediately and force myself into a contribution schedule that there is absolutely no way of getting out of.

Is there anything out there? A bonded money manager that can take financial power of attorney? I'm desperate - I make a decent salary and turn 40 next year. Though I can't believe it, I am facing the reality that I have to proceed as a single woman who has to ne able to rely on myself indefinitely.

Again, there is no trick that will trick me. I need an impenetrable lock on my funds with no loopholes. Im thinking a commitment of 5 years with an annual review with a financial advisor who can tweak as necessary is a good starting point.

Any advice at all, no matter how drastic, is appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 11:03 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,398,910 times
Have some one you trust help you.

Old 11-30-2016, 11:06 PM

1,650 posts, read 1,109,041 times
Put cards in a container of water and stick in the freezer. If you get the itch to buy something, you have to let the cards thaw before you can have your cc or atm card. The thawing time may give you time to think if the purchase is really necessary. After the purchase/withdrawal, re-freeze the card.

Old 11-30-2016, 11:33 PM

61,392 posts, read 86,312,362 times
^^^^ Lol! Two minutes in a hot water and the cards are out. So much for drastic measures...
I think you need to go through a therapy first, otherwise you will find a way to get to your own money no matter what.

Old 12-01-2016, 12:16 AM

61,392 posts, read 86,312,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
^^^^ Lol! Two minutes in a hot water and the cards are out. So much for drastic measures...
I think you need to go through a therapy first, otherwise you will find a way to get to your own money no matter what.
Limiting the Gambler

Old 12-01-2016, 07:35 AM

483 posts, read 415,682 times
Cut the cards, force yourself the inconvenience to have to go thru the bank during bank hours or wait for the banks to open.

Old ways before cards are the best ways.

Old 12-01-2016, 07:41 AM

18,495 posts, read 15,479,782 times
Irrevocable trust with future payouts to yourself starting at retirement age? I don't know about the legality of this but if you truly need to handcuff yourself in the most extreme degree possible I'd think that would be the way...

Old 12-01-2016, 07:48 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,631,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romaneats View Post
Cut the cards, force yourself the inconvenience to have to go thru the bank during bank hours or wait for the banks to open.

Old ways before cards are the best ways.
She said she's tried everything. This is way beyond cutting cards and drive thru.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:12 AM

4,321 posts, read 5,116,719 times
Momola, you need to start hating your drug. Look at what you are buying and develop a revulsion to it. And start doing more free stuff. Don't join a gym to exercise, just do it yourself. Don't buy new clothes, launder, press and fix what you already have. Learn to delay gratification.

You seem to want a strategy that saves you from yourself but that won't work. It's like a drug addict asking a friend to keep them from using. It deflects your own responsibility.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:21 AM

20,703 posts, read 19,855,021 times
Buy some real estate. The money is locked in and does something good for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance