Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 08:55 PM

817 posts, read 753,062 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I've been looking at suburban L.A. housing, and I'm not finding a lot of scenarios that make me happy. I've been here 15 years so I know all the ropes of how to do things and like I said I'm just not finding something I can be comfortable with.

I actually work in the Inland Empire suburbs, but I just don't want to commit to a $2500 a month mortgage.

I used to commute to the Inland Empire from El Segundo, now I work in the Inland Empire so I don't have a commute anymore, and I make decent money, but it's still unaffordable for this area. An affordable area for me now is Beaumont or Banning, and I don't want to drive out there. That defeats the purpose of getting rid of my commute with my newer, still decent paying position.

Anyway, just kind of wondering what my options are if I cannot get a house in SoCal. My 401k going, but what else can I do if I don't have vaunted retirement equity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 09:30 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
You could move to a lower col area

Old 01-09-2017, 09:58 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,121,674 times
Cash in the bank.

Old 01-09-2017, 10:39 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Beaumont is not an expensive area if I recall correctly. What's the average price of a single family home?
So I looked on Redfin and single family homes are reasonable $200k-350k. What do you mean by you cannot afford it. No down payment?

Old 01-09-2017, 11:34 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Charger View Post
Hi all. I've been looking at suburban L.A. housing, and I'm not finding a lot of scenarios that make me happy. I've been here 15 years so I know all the ropes of how to do things and like I said I'm just not finding something I can be comfortable with.

I actually work in the Inland Empire suburbs, but I just don't want to commit to a $2500 a month mortgage.

I used to commute to the Inland Empire from El Segundo, now I work in the Inland Empire so I don't have a commute anymore, and I make decent money, but it's still unaffordable for this area. An affordable area for me now is Beaumont or Banning, and I don't want to drive out there. That defeats the purpose of getting rid of my commute with my newer, still decent paying position.

Anyway, just kind of wondering what my options are if I cannot get a house in SoCal. My 401k going, but what else can I do if I don't have vaunted retirement equity?
It's not what you want to hear, but you have to choose what's most important to you. If you can't get the house you want--and if the house you want is the most important thing--then you have to do what it takes to get it. That might include working a 2nd job or creating a small business for yourself on the side. It might include finding a better paying job. It might be that you have to leave SoCal to get the house you want. Or maybe you go the uber frugality route for a couple of years (live with roommates, never eat out, don't take vacations, etc.).

I didn't care about the house, so I chose to be "retirement rich". I live in a studio apartment, but I have a great 401k balance compared to most people my age/income level and can expect to draw on a pension when I turn 55. But I gave up other things in order to be in this position--which is ok. We all give things up in order to get what's most important to us.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 01-10-2017 at 12:18 AM..

Old 01-10-2017, 07:56 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
What makes you think that metro-LA home prices will continue to rise faster than the inflation rate? If they're not affordable to you, they're not affordable to anyone else. Interest rates are still at a historic low. Put them up to 7% and see what happens to housing prices.

Keep your powder dry and buy on the price dips, not at the peak of the market. Housing prices are cyclical pretty much anywhere.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:05 AM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:

Are you single, as suggested by your use of "I" instead of "we"? Live with roommates and invest the rest. You should have plenty to retire on. Stand firm during downturns. Over the long run, stocks grow faster than houses.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:14 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
What makes you think that metro-LA home prices will continue to rise faster than the inflation rate? If they're not affordable to you, they're not affordable to anyone else. Interest rates are still at a historic low. Put them up to 7% and see what happens to housing prices.

Keep your powder dry and buy on the price dips, not at the peak of the market. Housing prices are cyclical pretty much anywhere.

Well that's simply true, just because one can't afford something doesn't mean that's true of the entire market

Old 01-10-2017, 08:54 AM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Well that's simply true, just because one can't afford something doesn't mean that's true of the entire market
Ok, but most in SoCal are not Silicon Valley tech moguls. If only a tiny percentage of people can afford them, something has to give....eventually.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:57 AM

817 posts, read 753,062 times
No, im married, but also the majority breadwinner. Kids keep us from moving too far, or working more hours.

I agree prices may be frothy, but demand is high and lending is solid. The Fed will never be able to raise interest rates too high, too much debt in the system. Even if prices dip, they come back. Plus in the meantime, I'm paying rent anyway so whats the difference. Gotta pay to live somewhere.

I also guess "afford" is a subjective term. I can pay $2500/mo and be house poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance