Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2017, 03:17 PM

1,743 posts, read 991,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by claymoore View Post
Renting is like borrowing your neighbors bathroom and paying him for the privilege.

Remember those days when you had to PAY to use a toilet at stores or theaters?
(Pay toilets and ...Yes, I'm THAT old)

Well, you had to put a dime?, quarter? into a lock box on the toilet stall door to gain entry.
(I use to sneak under the door)

Well whomever owned those stalls (and pay locks) were "renting" the toilets for use and making a profit.

I'd rather be the owner, collecting those quarters than the guy paying the rent on em.
(Or the one crawling under the door)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 03:59 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,871,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claymoore View Post
I bet they made a sh*t load of money.

Old 01-18-2017, 04:08 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
If you're purely trying to optimize for accumulating wealth, you'd live in a tiny studio apartment, cook all your own meals using inexpensive bulk ingredients, borrow books from the library and surf the internet on free WiFi hotspots, and use public transportation rather than driving a car. You'd save and invest every penny. Over the long run, the stock market out-performs everything but you might diversify your portfolio.

Old 01-18-2017, 04:16 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Using leverage regardless of where increases your risk on that particular investment. It magnifies gains and losses and it also typically comes with some covenants via the lender who allowed the leverage. To argue it doesn't change the risk is a bit shortsighted

Old 01-18-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
If you're purely trying to optimize for accumulating wealth, you'd live in a tiny studio apartment, cook all your own meals using inexpensive bulk ingredients, borrow books from the library and surf the internet on free WiFi hotspots, and use public transportation rather than driving a car. You'd save and invest every penny. Over the long run, the stock market out-performs everything but you might diversify your portfolio.
Ugh, or you could just invest in a few mansions and fill them with toys and rent rooms to pretentious life consumers. With the CRAZY rents and the CRAZY appreciation and the leverage you'll blow the doors off the stock market. Remember, you are tapping into the salaries of many people that are paying 30-40% of that for housing!

Other than sacrificing a little privacy you'll be living like a King.

Old 01-18-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Using leverage regardless of where increases your risk on that particular investment. It magnifies gains and losses and it also typically comes with some covenants via the lender who allowed the leverage. To argue it doesn't change the risk is a bit shortsighted
Please explain exactly how my risk is magnified using leverage vs not. As I pointed out earlier the risk is to the lender. That's why there is PMI and higher rates.

Old 01-18-2017, 04:20 PM

Also buying isn't some big money maker that so many make it out to be. Few people would ever see 100% appreciation in 2 years as an example was given in this thread and even more most homeowners won't see 100% over the entire time they own a residence. Additionally the tax benefit is often over played as nearly half of mortgage holders don't itemize so they receive no benefit there and people most often buy more than they rent it really throws off these comparisons. Buying ties you up a good deal due to transaction cost and it shouldn't be pushed as much as it is

Old 01-18-2017, 04:24 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,479,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Buy vs. rent is a ceaseless discussion. My belief is that the myriad factors devolve ultimately to one: in the local market, will the given piece of residential real-estate appreciate over the long term? If it does, then there's good reason to consider ownership favorably, despite the taxes and maintenance and hassles. But in some markets, the very long-term trend (50 years?) is stark and unrelenting depreciation. There, the nod probably goes to renting.

That makes sense overall, but again is situational. I have acquaintances who in retirement pursued the "hobby" of becoming landlords, both of single-family houses and apartment-buildings. Many have found that even if paying cash for the rental-property, maintenance costs outstrip the market-rate for rent.

In my own case, I own a house, but really only need the space of a studio-apartment. My property taxes and insurance, annual, are roughly commensurate with the cost of apartment-rent. But I can't bring myself to sell, since that admits failure and starkly realizes the financial loss.

Yep, it's all situational. I pretty much use my whole house. I have a relative who lives with and I gave her two of the bedrooms. I take care of her for the family, but I do get a little bit of money to help cover her costs (doesn't cover everything, but I don't do it for the money). I also have a dog. So I need the space. It's also nice to have a garage for my car. It's 12 years old now and I think being garage kept is adding to its longevity.

Housing is in short supply in my area. That's what leads to high rents and high home values. I'm really hoping to move someplace more rural and cheaper. It will all depend on my ability to telecommute with my job (currently I can do about half of it remotely). When I do, I can probably buy a house for cash with what I have in equity now. But if that doesn't work out, I should have the mortgage paid off in 20 years and will be mortgage free by my age 55 goal (sooner if my move to rural works out!)

Old 01-18-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
Please explain exactly how my risk is magnified using leverage vs not. As I pointed out earlier the risk is to the lender. That's why there is PMI and higher rates.
If you considered the worst case scenario of losing a mortgage property only a risk to the debt holder you are foolish. Myself I recognize the impact to a business or personal situation of a credit hit, the loss of capital and so forth. If you think leverage does zero to change the risk of an investment you are foolish despite your claimed experience

Old 01-18-2017, 04:25 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
depends . like i say , very few of us rent the same amount of house or quality of a house we would buy . we always tend to buy more house likely in a better area then we usually rent .

that means our housing costs and cash flow can actually be better renting many times since it is likely not an apples to apples comparison .

we can spend 800k for a house in our area as a starting price . we instead rent for 2k a month in a luxury building and that includes many expenses we would have on top of the house like heat , water ,sewer , landscaping , snow plowing ,maintenance , taxes , renovations ,insurances , etc

i have done both but have been more successful renting and investing .

just think of that retiree that goes from a 3 bedroom apartment with the whole family to a one bedroom apartment once the kids are out . odds are their cash flow is far improved from someone still trying to support a big ole house.

things are never black and white comparisons of one expense vs another expense . there is so much involved so there can never be a rule as to one being better than the other .

Yea, anti-house people always try to do a direct fiscal comparason of shared walls to free standing houses.

Here's a clue:

You can't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance