Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 03:09 AM

105 posts, read 121,268 times

Advertisements

There is lots of stories in the news about people who won the lottery and all of a sudden everyone wants a piece of their new found wealth. The cousin who would not give you the time of day of day, suddenly acts like your best friend. Coworkers, neighbors, old friends you have not talked to for years all contact you and want to talk.

It may be easier to turn those people down, but how about your immediate family? Parents, your kids, brothers, sisters and Grandparents all want a piece of the pie. They may be struggling and shouldn't they be helped?

I knew someone who won the lottery once and he helped out his family and was very generous but at the end they all ended up hating each other because no matter how much he gave them, it was never enough.

You won 50 million in the lottery, how much do you give away to family and friends and how do you determine is enough, too much or not enough?

Or looking at it another way. If they won fifty million, would you expect anything from the windfall?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 05:30 AM

7,687 posts, read 5,120,849 times
Yes.

Only because about 8 of us have said for years if any of us were to hit the lottery.........say a take home after tax lump sum of at least 20 or 25 million we would at least give a million to to other family members

Old 01-18-2017, 05:34 AM

7,687 posts, read 5,120,849 times
That would still leave 13 million for the winner in my 20 million take home scenario.

Plenty to go around. Heck they could give each person $1,500,000 and still the winner would have $9,500,000 all to themselves.

Old 01-18-2017, 05:51 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,931,774 times
Not a damn thing, nor would i owe them anything if I got the money. Would I give them money? Sure to certain people, but all those roaches coming out of the woodwork, nope.

Old 01-18-2017, 06:03 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Investor View Post
If someone your immediate family became wealthy, do they owe you anything?
Owe me?
Not at all.

Old 01-18-2017, 06:09 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
Technically, unless you have something in writing they don't owe you a thing and vice versa. If you're on good terms with your family it would be nice to help them but it certainly isn't required. I always felt like if I won the lottery I wouldn't let anybody know about it but I would definitely help my immediate family and my favorite charities.

Old 01-18-2017, 06:19 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,556,659 times
I don't think anybody owes another person anything.

If it were me, I would not give tons of money away to family and friends but I would however pay off everyone's mortgage, as I believe that in most families that is the single biggest debt they have and would enable them, if they wanted to, to save up lots of money on their own and do whatever they wanted.

Old 01-18-2017, 06:21 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
No and we would never expect nor accept anything. We would be thankful for the offer but we take care of ourselves and our needs.

Old 01-18-2017, 06:38 AM

2,940 posts, read 1,812,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Investor View Post
There is lots of stories in the news about people who won the lottery and all of a sudden everyone wants a piece of their new found wealth. The cousin who would not give you the time of day of day, suddenly acts like your best friend. Coworkers, neighbors, old friends you have not talked to for years all contact you and want to talk.

It may be easier to turn those people down, but how about your immediate family? Parents, your kids, brothers, sisters and Grandparents all want a piece of the pie. They may be struggling and shouldn't they be helped?

I knew someone who won the lottery once and he helped out his family and was very generous but at the end they all ended up hating each other because no matter how much he gave them, it was never enough.

You won 50 million in the lottery, how much do you give away to family and friends and how do you determine is enough, too much or not enough?

Or looking at it another way. If they won fifty million, would you expect anything from the windfall?
I would look at it as, depends on how good their financial habits are, are they in terrible debt and can't seem to get out. Because if I were to give them no matter how many millions they'll easily blow it all and then ask for more.

So out of love for my own family members, I would keep the $50M in investments and give them the interest generated (which is still quite a bit) and they can live off of that along with pay off all their debts (a 1 time thing).

Old 01-18-2017, 07:08 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Would they owe me anything? No.

However, if I won 50million or something like that, my first priority would be to take care of my family first. Pay off their houses and debt, set up parents with retirement so they can quit jobs and enjoy retirement, trusts for all the children in the family, college, etc. After that's all done, then i'll go buy myself a Ford GT. I'm sure my other family members would do the same.

I'd do that because that's what my family does for each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance