Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 06:03 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Those numbers are nonsense anywhere I've lived and would not come close to covering infant or toddler daycare for even half a year, forget any other costs.
But day-care is an option, not a requirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Also, the link says it's based on the cost for a family in Canada in 2010. In Canada healthcare is not an added cost like it is in the US. In the US, when having the first child, turning an health insurance plan into a family plan can cost a few hundred dollars a month, not to mention co-pays. (Admittedly, there is no extra premium for subsequent children.) Also, Canadians get paid maternity leave for a certain percentage of the first year that is not typical in the US.
Fair enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioToCO View Post
When my 18 year old 6'2'' son (who was an athlete in High School) moved out, my grocery bill went down $300/month. I was spending ~3,5K a year on his food alone.
That was a personal choice on your part, not a requirement.

https://www.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/netcomp.cgi?year=2015

From the table, 50% of wage earners earn less than $30,000 annually.

Those people are raising children, but obviously not spending $450,000 to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 06:29 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
But day-care is an option, not a requirement.
Working is not optional for most people.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:24 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,113,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Working is not optional for most people.
But, of course, "working" and "day care" are not one and the same.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:41 PM

55 posts, read 74,972 times
We spend $14k a year on childcare alone for each kid. I believe the math. I can't wait for my oldest to go to kindergarten for our "automatic" raise.

Old 01-27-2017, 02:45 AM

106,658 posts, read 108,810,853 times
like i said mircea , it is quite obvious you have not tried to raise kids. you would have a better understanding of what "optional " really means.

optional is things like , do we have those 25 kids at a birthday party in chuckie cheese or a bowling ally . do we go to soccor after school or gymnastics ?

very little ends up being optional when dealing with your own kids .

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-27-2017 at 03:44 AM..

Old 01-30-2017, 01:16 PM

447 posts, read 321,943 times
This is not so true to me.
It says I will spend 19060 on my child which is very much untrue.

FOOD 3010----- not so sure but we do spend around 1200 a month on grocery shops each month. There are 3 people in the household.

Transportation 2760----- not so high. Petrol price is not high in my area.

Clothing 1070---- quiet correct.

Healthcare 1390----this is the similar figure we spend for only ONE Month for the whole family of three. Definitely underestimated.

Childcare and education 4030------we have a much much much higher figure because our child is a special need child and needs intensive therapies, out of net work, very expensive.

Housing 4990--------we spend 2950 on mortgage and property tax per month.

MISC 1810--- Does this include holiday expenses?

So the total figure of 450K or something is not realist in my case.

However, raising up a child means you not only spend money, but also input care, time and patience and a lot------all in all something we call LOVE.

Old 01-30-2017, 01:45 PM

447 posts, read 321,943 times
The above post is only about my own case. I don't mean spending a lot of money is the only way to raise up a child. I don't believe the figures my self. And each family has their own situations. The way to think that because you are in this area and you earn this figure so you must spend this much on raising up your child is so rigid.

The most thing the little darlings need is LOVE, LOVE and LOVE----unconditionally.

You never realize a normal-developed child is a luxury until you landed in Holland while you were planning a trip to Italy.

Well, landing in Holland is not so bad and the happiness and joy my little fellow brings to me is no less than any other child does to his/her parents. We enjoy the trip though it does cost a little bit more.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:47 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
like i said mircea , it is quite obvious you have not tried to raise kids. you would have a better understanding of what "optional " really means.

optional is things like , do we have those 25 kids at a birthday party in chuckie cheese or a bowling ally . do we go to soccor after school or gymnastics ?

I would have not ever considered a B/D party for 25 kids. I followed the rule of age = # of guests - made things much more reasonable all around. And honestly, I think I only threw actual "parties" about 5 times. It was just too much to deal with around the holidays. And ONE extra-curricular activity at a time. I've never understood why some parents lose their minds trying to "do it all".

Old 01-30-2017, 09:06 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,707 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJD1812 View Post
We spend $14k a year on childcare alone for each kid. I believe the math. I can't wait for my oldest to go to kindergarten for our "automatic" raise.
14+ yrs of homeschooling all our kids cost less than $20k, I'm glad I didn't count 'opportunity costs' of working nights instead of 'personal career building', but an age 49 retirement was a nice treat for the added pay of night shift!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

ONCE! one of our kids mentioned "Gosh, all my friends have Nintendos! and they even have a TV!!!"

"better find some new friends"....

They survived, never rebelled, and are very prosperously employed 10+ yrs after college (have decent enough jobs to be 'semi-retired' so they can TRAVEL!)

Expenses of raising a kid are really trivial to family expenses, if you are all in it together.

EXCEPTION: Special medical needs kids / grandkids / adult kids and no HC Insurance. That can clean you out, and has done so to many families. More will befall to that sentence tomorrow.

Old 01-31-2017, 10:03 PM

13,072 posts, read 7,508,849 times
Cost varies.

Our one we used cloth diapers, with TP as a liner. I think we only bought disposables for outings.
Home laundry the diapers (liners kept the diapers pretty clean, we only had to pull off the TP liner into the toilet and flush)
Had him potty trained very early.
Made our own baby food. Vegs from our garden and prepared normally. Used either a hand ricer or a small processor for meats and more fiberous foods.
Never bought toys and discouraged toys from relatives.
He did wear nice new clothing, Hana Anderson, Oshgosh, etc.
Grandparents baby sat and watched him until 8 or 10.
Public school k-12. IB-diploma. He skipped 1 elementry grade.
Started UGMA fund at birth, aggressively invested and nearly had enough for a private college's tuition...until 9/11.

College scholarships reduced tuition by 15%, loans (3%) paid 60%, UGMA and our cashflow paid for everything else. Master's was on full scholarship.

Last edited by leastprime; 01-31-2017 at 10:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance