Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 10:59 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,788,932 times

Advertisements

well, I went out on a date a couple weeks ago and we stepped into this bar, it was a real ****hole type bar, the reviews on Yelp said it was a dive bar and inside looked like one of those discount type places... well, I ordered a Sam Adams which they gave me in a 12oz bottle and my date ordered some soda water with lime. Then she says that will be $12.75 WTF? On top of that my date asks if I want a dollar for the tip and then proceeds to tell me oh shucks she has no change, now I have to leave a dollar on top of this ridiculous tab...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 11:23 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipsters View Post
I travel 100% for a living and pack my own food. On a 3 day or less trip I won't purchase a thing. I also get per diem from the company so I just pocket that. Every now or then or on a 4 day trip I will purchase a Subway foot long (carved turkey is excellent).

Much healthier this way and I don't have to worry about what or where I'm going to eat at night. I pack leftovers that we've made such as homemade General Tso's or Pizza. Snacks including protein bars and oatmeal and almonds.

My wife and I really enjoy food and on vacations make a point to eat out at the hole in the wall places. It's part of the experience. But when at home we enjoy cooking together as well and as a bonus we make nice good food. We're making Buffalo Chickpea wraps tonight, they are fantastic. I will say we spend more on food than most people do because we value quality ingredients but since we don't eat out we still save a considerable amount. I think all told our total food/dining budget runs around $400 a month.

It's funny, as we've gotten older and our incomes have grown we actually find ourselves eating out less and less. I think one thing that factors into this is we've made investments on improving time at home. Versus 4-5 years ago for example my wife was gone at work 8+ hours a day plus driving 1:30 round trip. I was gone 16-17 days a month. Today she works from home and I'm gone 6-10 days a month. Quite a bit more time at home to enable us to do what we do.

We do like Chipolte and get it every now and then. We can get two meals out of each bowl so it makes it kinda cost effective at around $3.60/meal per person for picking it up when you just don't feel like cooking.
When you go on a three day business trip you pack enoigh leftovers to eat for the entire time?

Old 02-01-2017, 11:29 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,707,699 times
I think restaurants have a difficult time staying in business. For one thing, the service is crappy at many restaurants. I posted elsewhere about a waiter that would rush me and my husband out the door as soon as we finished our meal. This was at a nicer restaurant, not a 5 star, but close. I've also noticed restaurants like Cheesecake Factory put a lot of items on their menu that they are always "out of". Also, I am a vegetarian, most restaurants now charge the same amount for a vegetarian entrée, as a lobster or steak entrée. So I am really being ripped off. Some restaurants also have a rule now that you must purchase an entrée for lunch or dinner, you can't just order a bowl of soup or a salad. If you do, they will charge you an entrée price.

Old 02-01-2017, 11:37 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,707,699 times
I think it's also important to remember, that when you dine out, you aren't just purchasing food. You are also paying for service, you are being served the meal, you don't have to cook it, or clean up your kitchen afterward. So that's sort of built into the value of what you are getting. And you also pay for the experience of being in a nice place, nice ambience, music, etc, social and being around others, etc. If you just want FOOD, then go to the grocery store. Restaurants aren't grocery stores.

Old 02-01-2017, 12:02 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden22 View Post
I eat out very rarely. I prefer eating at subway.
Same here, but we prefer Denny's.

I do all the cooking so any meal i DON'T have to cook is a treat for me.

BUt alas, even Denny's has gone up. But I do get enough to take home and eat a second meal out of it.

People may not have buckets of cash, but like to treat themselves after a week of grueling work.

Some go to the movies {not cheap anymore either} and some go out to eat. SOme pay for pay cable or pay-per-view and stay home {not so cheap anymore either}

SOme pay cash {I do}, some charge it and think they will pay for it later.

SOme pay for hookers, others do not!

It's all in their perspective and stress-reliever ideal.

Old 02-01-2017, 12:07 PM

940 posts, read 969,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
When you go on a three day business trip you pack enoigh leftovers to eat for the entire time?

Yes

It's not hard, it's what I've been doing for over a decade. Per diem is tax free, so even more desire to save it all. Plus I even get to deduct 80% of the difference between what the company pays and the M&IE rates, works out to a nice deduction at tax time.

Old 02-01-2017, 12:15 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,764,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
I learned a long time ago to stand my ground. I will refuse to re-patronize establishments that offer poor value and will walk away if the consensus is to go there again. I will frequently split an entrée with a friend and order two plates with it, bring my own water or order it for a drink, bring a piece of fruit, chocolate, etc. to have as a dessert with a cup of tea.

Funny, rather than this behavior alienating and offending my friends and acquaintances it has empowered and emboldened many of them, and quite a few now have adopted the same behaviors, including walking away from a poor value situation.

I don't think you'll have much problem with high prices in restaurants soon enough, as if they're smart, they'll decline to serve you.

Old 02-01-2017, 12:25 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
I don't get the Olive Garden hate.

Around here, they have various lunch combos starting at $7-$9. They have a wonderful spicy chicken sandwich on the lunch menu with fries, and unlimited salad or soup for $8.99. I can get out for $12 or so with tip. If I want a big lunch, it's not a bad option. We have local Italian joints that are not as good and the service has always been good at this location.

An East Tennessee upscale steakhouse chain has various options for $8-$10. You can get two 4 oz. pork chops, a 7 oz. sirloin with baked potato, for $10. Grilled chicken salad for $8. This place is way better than Texas Roadhouse, Logan's, etc. - closer to a Ruth Chris than the major chains.

FATZ is one of the better chains around. It's also much cheaper to go out to eat at lunch, possibly during happy hour as well, than supper or on the weekends.

Five Guys is just awful. A bacon burger, little fry, and soft drink run about $13. I can go to that upscale steakhouse and it will be cheaper. I might go to Chili's, Applebees, Ruby Tuesday, O'Charley's, TGI Friday's, etc., once per year each. Most of these places are struggling.

People have shifted away from casual dining to fast casual on the lower to medium end on the dining market, and lots of people are also shifting to more locally raised, responsibly sourced restaurants on the higher end.

Old 02-01-2017, 12:32 PM

483 posts, read 418,367 times
Yah.. When my hubs who likes eating out complaints it's way better eating at home...
The quality of foods must be pretty low lately for the price.

Old 02-01-2017, 12:38 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,668,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I don't get the Olive Garden hate.

Around here, they have various lunch combos starting at $7-$9.
Lunch prices in general are more affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance