Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 12:32 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,484,803 times

Advertisements

I make a list for the store and STICK TO IT.

I also calculate how much those items should cost me, and I take only that amount of cash + a little extra just in case... if in doubt in most cases you can look online.

When I buy clothes online, I look for the CLEARANCE button, often even In-season clothes can be had for little. I also know which clothing e-tailer has great clothes at nice prices. I get brand new shirts for as little as $3 for dress/casual, and pants for as little $10 for dress/casual, and NO they are not the strange colors or weird kinds.

I use only 1/2 the laundry detergent the bottle says to use, because unless your clothes are REALLY soiled {grass, messy kids "oopses", etc} really only half will clean them well.

I use only 1/2 a dryer sheet and it will soften and remove static from even the fullest of loads.

I have a couple bank accounts, for each of us, and a separate one for me, that I put just $5/month into, they are marked for "future". it's only $5 a month and isn't missed like, say $50. It adds up after a couple of years.

My credit Union has a CD savers program, you can put a minimum of $25/month to a maximum of $250/ into and the idea is its a future value CD you leave alone. It renews automatically until you cash it in. I automatically put $25 in a month, regardless, the total of the $5 savings accts and the savers CD is only $40/month, again not missed. In the future our last "retirement vehicle" will be bought with the Savers CD account in say, 20, 25, or {maybe} 30 years...

I also have the credit union split Direct deposits to checking and savings accounts automatically.

I stash what I call "secret money" in the check books and in a "secret place" in my wallet. I keep $100 in my wallet and $50 in each checking book. IF I get pulled over {god forbid} and have to pay right away, I have the cash, if I run short of cash for gas, around town or on a road trip, I have it. IF I see a deal in the store I cannot pass up, I don't have to immediately touch the credit card or savings or checking to get it.

I shop early when they mark down meat about to expire the next day and stock up in the freezer.

I simply DON'T shop until absolutely necessary.

If the item{s} [say toilet paper] is on sale, I stock up. [that should be a no-brainer], that way I never run dry and never have to pay a premium price for it.

Any raises no matter how small {lately we wish!} or Windfall {tax return, the extra odd paycheck a month that has an extra pay day in it, bonus} goes right into savings {if we lived without it usually, why can't we live it without it when it arrives?}. The raise may eventually have to be used as regular bills DO up, but the extra odd paycheck, the tax return, the rebate on school taxes DON'T. That adds up to a couple of thousand a year.

I make a list of wants {an even needs} as the year progresses and look for Day after TG or Christmas sales and get it then at some real bargain prices. I got a LOT of my {quality} tools that way. When we have the family electrician or contractor was here for things, they are not only amazed I have what they may need, but amazed I paid a cheap price for it this way!

Its the little things that matter....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 12:46 PM

9,372 posts, read 6,972,249 times
Try going an entire weekend without spending any money. Get all your necessities (groceries, gas, etc.. ) during the week. But on the weekend don't pull out the credit card once. You will find free activities to fill your time and also figure out what you truly need.

Also make sure the next weekend you don't go splurge on useless spending.

Old 02-06-2017, 02:50 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,283,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Try going an entire weekend without spending any money. Get all your necessities (groceries, gas, etc.. ) during the week. But on the weekend don't pull out the credit card once. You will find free activities to fill your time and also figure out what you truly need.

Also make sure the next weekend you don't go splurge on useless spending.
I do this a lot. These days I tend to prefer the quieter, recharging type of weekends anyway. So it isn't too hard for me.

Old 02-06-2017, 02:52 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,124,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNashua View Post
I was using Mint for a while. But then I got paranoid about having all of my financial information being aggregated through a third party site. So I deleted everything. I do like the concept, however.
I use Droid Wallet (there's an iPhone version) it's nice because whenever I spend money I can just type it in.

Old 02-06-2017, 03:13 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,579,249 times
Chess club. No social pressure to buy overpriced food!

Old 02-06-2017, 08:12 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,480,610 times
I save first: 401k, Roth, and $700 a month into general savings. Then I buy whatever I want with the rest but only spend cash (well, I use a credit card and just pay it off every week). I have a loose idea of budget. I only really look closely at it if I find I'm spending too much. Then I look at everything and see where I can make a cut. For example if I find my entertainment spending is creeping up, I purposely monitor it and cut back.

Old 02-07-2017, 11:46 AM

21,863 posts, read 25,121,078 times
Microfiber towels are great. I wouldn't spend $30 for five of them since you can buy what are likely better ones for less than a quarter of the price. Amazon basics one are cheap. Fine for dusting but they'll fall apart with heavier use .

Old 02-07-2017, 11:54 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,644,795 times
If there is something I'm wanting, I'll check ebay or shopgoodwill.com first.

Old 02-07-2017, 12:07 PM

551 posts, read 1,573,921 times
Eat out rarely
Make your coffee at home
Brown bag your lunch
Cut cable and get Netflix
Consolidate errand trips to save gas
Sell things you no longer need that are in good shape
Turn off water when brushing your teeth
Never pay full price for anything.
Shop clearance section only
Clip coupons

Old 02-07-2017, 12:15 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,541,852 times
I have a wish list on Amazon and put items there. I end up buying 20% of the items I put on that list.

Stay out of stores. This has helped me a lot.

Eat the food I have before I go buy more. This has led to fewer trips to the grocery store, which has led to less $$ being spent.

Place a moratorium on certain types of shopping. I've realized that I simply do not need any new clothes. I have enough of everything. Until I wear out the items I have, no more shopping in this category.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance