Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2017, 02:02 PM

9 posts, read 49,884 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I hope I'm in the right section. Here is my situation.

I have a new job for a company based in MIA, but my first assignment is in NYC. The jobs requieres me to be in NYC 5 days a week for, at least, two years.

We have discussed this in family and, because my wife has relatives in NJ, and we have two little kids (3, 5 years old) we decided to rent a house in NJ for theupcoming two years.

Paychecks will be issued from the company in Miami, I'll be living in NJ and commuting daily to NYC.

Now, the million dollar question: Where should I pay my taxes? FL, NJ or NY?.

Any help will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 02:07 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
You are going to pay taxes to nj and ny I believe

Old 02-06-2017, 02:42 PM

6,624 posts, read 7,334,922 times
Not sure. You will have to file a NJ income tax return. I am sure of that.
You may have to file a NY state income tax return. What you are looking for is to see if their is a tax treaty between NY and NJ that says you only owe NJ. I think there was years ago but not sure about now. You can Google tax treaties. Also read the instructions for the NJ tax return, it will tell you what to do about NY
You will also have NYC taxes.

Old 02-06-2017, 02:59 PM

9 posts, read 49,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
You will also have NYC taxes.
Are you sure about that?. I will not be living in the City, nor I'll be working for the City.

Old 02-06-2017, 03:01 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
In addition to Federal Income taxes which are paid on your income, regardless of where your company or you are located, you will also pay state income taxes where you work (NY). You will additionally pay property taxes where you live (NJ).

Florida doesn't even have state income taxes, but, like any company, employees pay state taxes where they work, not where the corporate headquarters are located. The only exception would be if the employee actually worked out of the corporate headquarters and traveled to another state to work.

Old 02-06-2017, 03:31 PM

2,746 posts, read 1,779,432 times
NY and NJ do not have reciprocity, so your employer should withhold NY income taxes from your paycheck. You should file a NY nonresident return, NY does allow some deductions so maybe you'll be able to get some of your withholding back.

You'll also need to file a NJ return. NJ will give you a credit for the taxes paid to NY, in most cases this will cover all of your earned income (since you can only take a credit for the income that is subject to both NY and NJ tax) but if you have any other income (interest, dividends, capital gains, etc.) you'll pay NJ taxes on that.

I believe NYC did away with their nonresident income taxes a long time ago. That would be withheld by your employer as well if I'm not correct on that one.

Old 02-06-2017, 05:42 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteLiving View Post
NY and NJ do not have reciprocity, so your employer should withhold NY income taxes from your paycheck. You should file a NY nonresident return, NY does allow some deductions so maybe you'll be able to get some of your withholding back.

You'll also need to file a NJ return. NJ will give you a credit for the taxes paid to NY, in most cases this will cover all of your earned income (since you can only take a credit for the income that is subject to both NY and NJ tax) but if you have any other income (interest, dividends, capital gains, etc.) you'll pay NJ taxes on that.

I believe NYC did away with their nonresident income taxes a long time ago. That would be withheld by your employer as well if I'm not correct on that one.
This is your answer. I'd also confirm: If you don't live in NYC, you don't pay the NYC city tax on W-2/1099 income you make working there.

For most people who don't have a bunch of savings & investment income, you don't pay New Jersey anything. That's why New Jersey has such a killer property tax. All those high income people who commute to Manhattan don't pay NJ state income tax.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:05 AM

6,624 posts, read 7,334,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orejano View Post
Are you sure about that?. I will not be living in the City, nor I'll be working for the City.
I thought you said you would be working in the city 5 days a week for 2 years. I think you will be paying their tax. In some cases you may get a credit for part of the tax paid on your NJ tax return. This will also be covered in the instructions for the NJ return.

Old 02-07-2017, 11:34 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
I thought you said you would be working in the city 5 days a week for 2 years. I think you will be paying their tax. In some cases you may get a credit for part of the tax paid on your NJ tax return. This will also be covered in the instructions for the NJ return.
That is not how NYC city tax works. If you are not a resident of the city, you don't pay it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance