U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 08:32 AM

655 posts, read 706,384 times

Advertisements

I live overseas with my family and I filed three months before I turned 62 for myself and my children. I had a phone interview about 2 weeks later and had to go to the USA embassy with a few documents for myself and reports of birth abroad for my 11 y/o and 6 month old baby. The embassy was great to deal with and they opened a special bank account for me to have the money sent to. Do not have to deal with that Wednesday stuff everybody talks about, it went smooth as silk and I get my 3 checks deposited the 3rd of every month!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2017, 03:28 PM
Status: ""Abortion Stops A Beating Heart!"" (set 6 days ago)

18,296 posts, read 12,027,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
everyone has an issue with something in life and they will always find others too because those who are satisfied with the same thing have nothing to talk about .

i think 99% of us out there have had zero issues with ss , and most of those who do caused it themselves . not saying that is your case but overall most of us have no issues .
This reminds me of the birth control pill being 99% effective, while that is great for the 99%, it is not so great for the 1% for whom it is not effective.

I am still waiting for a call from the Congressman's office. We did everything right, SS failed to meet the suspense date of 30 days that was placed on getting the correction of THEIR error, making a 2nd error on their part having not entered into the system that employment had seized in conjunction with no letter arriving and no mention of a letter that would come, and no notices in the "My social security" account.

Maybe it is our region that is messing up because the lady at the bank knew someone this happened to.

Old 02-11-2017, 03:35 PM

54,896 posts, read 57,257,764 times
There is nothing in this world that works 100% of the time for 100% of the people. But that does not mean they are bad products. Someone will always have a problem.

That is very different than your rant about they inherently are taking our money on purpose

Old 02-11-2017, 03:40 PM

7,006 posts, read 4,345,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
We both applied for SS early retirement. My husband Dec 1, 2016 and myself Jan 1, 2016. We are both 62. Well, if you do this, make sure you have savings to rely on before you quit your job!

I was told that they send out a letter at the end of the year asking how much you will make the following year and some people don't receive them and the system automatically entered the amount from the previous year and if over the $15,000 and something, payments are suspended. We have called twice to ask for a correction, were assured a check would come this month, which it did not. Called today and was asked if we would like to put in a correction. Called again, was told that since January 4, our changes have been waiting to be manually input. It wasn't changes, it was a correction to what their system did.

I asked if this happens frequently and was told that with the first year, yes, it does. Great system.

We have contacted our congressman and asked his office to intervene for us. We can continue to ask for corrections and they'll just pile on the stack to be processed manually. Luckily, we have savings to cover the shortfall. We have no idea when they will finally process the paperwork.

Also, SS checks come out on Wednesdays depending on your birthdate which one in the month. Our regional office for social security is closed on Wednesday, every Wednesday. How convenient! It is like they know there are issues and want to give people time to cool off. I generally don't cool off over time!

I pity someone who has payments due, needs groceries, has a huge fuel bill from the extra cold winter we are having and was counting on the check coming in. We have letters dated in October verifying and approving our social security payments.

So, be forewarned, be able to cover your expenses if the "automatically" steals your SS check and the stack of manually input is over their heads!
You should not retire early if you need to rely on that SS check and don't have a few months saved to live on, and if you retire early you should really have a few years of living expenses saved up.

Old 02-11-2017, 07:21 PM

54,896 posts, read 57,257,764 times
an underfunded retirement can be so stressful when things do not go to plan . but life rarely does .

Old 02-11-2017, 09:30 PM

1,091 posts, read 923,491 times
Default I suspect

Quote:
No, I have found others that suffered from the incompetence of SS and SS themselves admitted this was an issue that happens quite often especially in the first year one draws benefits, makes that "tries" to draw benefits.

We did not get the letter and the SS agent said as she looked over our files, "Ah, you may not have received those letters." which I suspect the records showed no letters were sent. We had just talked to SS in November and we also both have "My Social Security" accounts for messages. It was made clear and entered into the system both my and my husband's retirement dates and my husband had terminated his employment 28 Oct 2016. Even though they made the ERROR, we called and put in the correction on January 4, 2017 and were told it would be processed by 4 Feb and the 8 Feb check would be issued. We called and checked about the 3rd week of January and it was verified the check would be issued on 8 Feb. There was no check on February 8. I guess we have proved, "you can't fix stupid".

And, I have verified by discussing this with a number of people that they know individuals to whom this happened. I feel this is a way to delay payments out of the SS account.

There is no reason to assume that someone is working when they have told you that they quit there job and would have no income the following year, actually just the opposite.

They had no problem taking SS out of our checks week after week, year after year. The door should be swinging both ways.

Hopefully we can drain the swamp of some of these incompetent employees at SS. I know it is hard, but obviously, the house needs cleaning there! There is no defense of what they are doing.

If one is going to work, they are supposed to notify SS, there is never the mention that if you aren't going to work that you must notify them even though my husband did that, and they still suspended the payments.

They are BAD!!!

That they need a letter from your husband's HR department- confirming his retirement date.

Old 02-22-2017, 06:24 PM

We contacted the congressman and also the social security commission and again our regional office. Stayed at it over the last week. Now, finally, we are going to get some "critical" need issue of the checks for this month. My husband's is 3 weeks late today and mine was due, but not paid today. We should have the checks based on "critical" need in the next 3 to 5 days. They still do not know if the checks will come when due the next time, so we will have to call if they don't come in for March.

They have had everything they needed to repair the error that their "system" made since the 4th of January when we called to tell them that they had messed it up!

It is VERY important that one doesn't sit idle waiting for them to resolve a problem. Had we have not called, the checks were NEVER coming.

Old 03-10-2017, 11:51 AM

Now more than 2 months after we called to have them correct the error that they made, my husband was put on continuous critical pay since the check nor letter saying they have gotten to making the corrections has yet to appear.

I still think this is pitiful. How many would use a private service that operated like this? Indeed, the government needs to be ran like a business!

Old 03-10-2017, 03:43 PM

4,090 posts, read 6,232,168 times
Quote:
Now more than 2 months after we called to have them correct the error that they made, my husband was put on continuous critical pay since the check nor letter saying they have gotten to making the corrections has yet to appear.

I still think this is pitiful. How many would use a private service that operated like this? Indeed, the government needs to be ran like a business!
Perhaps you have not read the many posts here about errors by banks, credit card co, insurance co, etc ?

Old 03-10-2017, 04:15 PM

1,746 posts, read 1,644,935 times
Quote:

I suggest a visit to the local office if you have not already done that, face to face and knowing who you are speaking to might get your situation resolved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance