Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 01:01 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,113,827 times

Advertisements

We both applied for SS early retirement. My husband Dec 1, 2016 and myself Jan 1, 2016. We are both 62. Well, if you do this, make sure you have savings to rely on before you quit your job!

I was told that they send out a letter at the end of the year asking how much you will make the following year and some people don't receive them and the system automatically entered the amount from the previous year and if over the $15,000 and something, payments are suspended. We have called twice to ask for a correction, were assured a check would come this month, which it did not. Called today and was asked if we would like to put in a correction. Called again, was told that since January 4, our changes have been waiting to be manually input. It wasn't changes, it was a correction to what their system did.

I asked if this happens frequently and was told that with the first year, yes, it does. Great system.

We have contacted our congressman and asked his office to intervene for us. We can continue to ask for corrections and they'll just pile on the stack to be processed manually. Luckily, we have savings to cover the shortfall. We have no idea when they will finally process the paperwork.

Also, SS checks come out on Wednesdays depending on your birthdate which one in the month. Our regional office for social security is closed on Wednesday, every Wednesday. How convenient! It is like they know there are issues and want to give people time to cool off. I generally don't cool off over time!

I pity someone who has payments due, needs groceries, has a huge fuel bill from the extra cold winter we are having and was counting on the check coming in. We have letters dated in October verifying and approving our social security payments.

So, be forewarned, be able to cover your expenses if the "automatically" steals your SS check and the stack of manually input is over their heads!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 01:24 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,254,148 times
I wish you the best of luck.

We were out of the country when I filed for mine over the phone in May of the year I was to turn 62 hoping it would start a few months later on my birthday. I got home to find a letter telling me that I had to make an appointment to show them my birth certificate and ID, I guess they wanted to see my face to make sure I was still alive, I am still not sure why, probably just to delay it. Then after the appointment my first deposit into my account still did not start for a few months, it seems they are in no rush to give us our money and they did not give me any back money, even when the first check was months after my 62nd birthday. I guess we cannot expect much from a govt that is very broke.

Old 02-08-2017, 02:44 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,662,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
I wish you the best of luck.

We were out of the country when I filed for mine over the phone in May of the year I was to turn 62 hoping it would start a few months later on my birthday. I got home to find a letter telling me that I had to make an appointment to show them my birth certificate and ID, I guess they wanted to see my face to make sure I was still alive, I am still not sure why, probably just to delay it. Then after the appointment my first deposit into my account still did not start for a few months, it seems they are in no rush to give us our money and they did not give me any back money, even when the first check was months after my 62nd birthday. I guess we cannot expect much from a govt that is very broke.
So far what I read, are problems created by the applicants and not the government. I did as instructed and encountered not one problem.

Old 02-08-2017, 03:25 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,254,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
So far what I read, are problems created by the applicants and not the government. I did as instructed and encountered not one problem.
Tell us how the op created their problem? Tell me how I created my problem? And tell me why my checks were not retroactive to my 62nd birthday or more than they were supposed to be at 62, if I created the problem?

Old 02-08-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
You need to read it again. Both my post and that of Mr. Lee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
Tell us how the op created their problem? Tell me how I created my problem? And tell me why my checks were not retroactive to my 62nd birthday or more than they were supposed to be at 62, if I created the problem?
We didn't. After speaking with a few people today, this is too complicated for many to understand. After reading your post, it appears they have a few tricks up their sleeves to deny us what is due to us.

Also, when it comes to illegal aliens ($113 billion a year) and refugees ($65,000 for each one), there appears to be no delay in writing the checks for them.

And, yes, no matter how long it takes, there is no back pay. We did not have to appear in people BUT they required that we take our son's birth certificate and adoption papers to them even though our son is 30 years old and has been in the system since he reached 21. I guess they were hoping we didn't have them and that would create a delay.

So, they have a bag of tricks to delay payments. Wonder how else they try to screw people out of what is due them.

Old 02-08-2017, 03:58 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
We both applied for SS early retirement. My husband Dec 1, 2016 and myself Jan 1, 2016. We are both 62. Well, if you do this, make sure you have savings to rely on before you quit your job!

I was told that they send out a letter at the end of the year asking how much you will make the following year and some people don't receive them and the system automatically entered the amount from the previous year and if over the $15,000 and something, payments are suspended. We have called twice to ask for a correction, were assured a check would come this month, which it did not. Called today and was asked if we would like to put in a correction. Called again, was told that since January 4, our changes have been waiting to be manually input. It wasn't changes, it was a correction to what their system did.

I asked if this happens frequently and was told that with the first year, yes, it does. Great system.

We have contacted our congressman and asked his office to intervene for us. We can continue to ask for corrections and they'll just pile on the stack to be processed manually. Luckily, we have savings to cover the shortfall. We have no idea when they will finally process the paperwork.

Also, SS checks come out on Wednesdays depending on your birthdate which one in the month. Our regional office for social security is closed on Wednesday, every Wednesday. How convenient! It is like they know there are issues and want to give people time to cool off. I generally don't cool off over time!

I pity someone who has payments due, needs groceries, has a huge fuel bill from the extra cold winter we are having and was counting on the check coming in. We have letters dated in October verifying and approving our social security payments.

So, be forewarned, be able to cover your expenses if the "automatically" steals your SS check and the stack of manually input is over their heads!
We always try to warn people on these forums of the dangers of not saving for retirement, but, alas, most Americans are woefully unprepared.

That said, I would be upset as well if the government cheated me out of payouts with no back pay possible.

Old 02-08-2017, 04:05 PM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
same , not one hitch when my wife filed

Old 02-08-2017, 04:11 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Why they didn't go back to when you turned 62 is because they don't back date your retirement. You retire when you retire and 62 is the earliest you're eligible to collect.

I turned 62 in June, filed the previous March, and received my first check in July (exactly on schedule).

Old 02-08-2017, 04:33 PM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
We always try to warn people on these forums of the dangers of not saving for retirement, but, alas, most Americans are woefully unprepared.

That said, I would be upset as well if the government cheated me out of payouts with no back pay possible.
i can only imagine the stressful retirement life if a few months delay in the checks make that much difference .

Old 02-08-2017, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Why they didn't go back to when you turned 62 is because they don't back date your retirement. You retire when you retire and 62 is the earliest you're eligible to collect.

I turned 62 in June, filed the previous March, and received my first check in July (exactly on schedule).
In our case, we filed in October, we were both 62+ at the time, were approved and have the paperwork to prove it.

I do not understand why we are penalized for the error by Social Security. There will be no back pay, money we were entitled to because of the continuing incompetence of the Social Security Administration.

Social Security is an entitlement that we have paid into. We filed the appropriate paperwork. We followed up to make sure the payment was coming, and the SS office screwed us out of it.

If this were someone's employer, in the real world, people would not stand for this.

While sometimes, the system may work, everyone needs to understand that it may not work in their case which is the point of my post. There is the possibility that they will not enter your info correctly or ask for documents from some while not asking from others, and it could be months before you get a check and no one at SS has a clue when it might be resolved. One of the agents agreed that an input error at any time could result in a recipient's checks being suspended.

I am not finished with them yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance