Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2017, 08:51 PM

156 posts, read 440,245 times

Advertisements

I didn't know where else to ask this and since this forum also deals with identity theft issues, I thought someone might know the answer.

Is it safe to send a driver's license number (customer number, not SSN) to someone via email? The reason for sending it is legitimate as is the person I'd be sending it to, I just don't know if it's safe to send it. I don't know if the email is secure or if it can be intercepted. The name of the person it belongs to wouldn't be included at all in the email, if that makes a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 09:06 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,913,234 times
Not really as you need more info to get the number. old days u use your ssn and glad they stop it. How i got hit with ID theft back in 2000. But now your DL # is tied to your name and info but can only be use for ID.. it doesnt contain anything that they can use to say, apply for a CC or home loan.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:16 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Are you sending this info from a computer or from your phone?
You can send a "self destructing message" - Google it, and choose which method works best for you.
I use it a lot when I am sending sensitive info.

Old 02-16-2017, 11:13 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
Technically yes.legally yes.

Now to prove this, contact your state DMV, request a ten year report of your record. You will be amazed how it's used against you for insurance and career. Ergo....It's sensitive information.

Old 02-16-2017, 11:35 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,048,899 times
Yes. Anything that is non public info should be closely guarded

Old 02-17-2017, 11:08 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,913,614 times
When opening accounts online, your DL # is used as your proof of identity. So I'd say it's definitely sensitive.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:28 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,913,234 times
i guess others have correct me.. Never really thought much about it.. always assume it was just use for legal purpose for ID but not for getting a house or something.. lesson learn

Old 02-22-2017, 03:37 AM

473 posts, read 501,763 times
I do give out DL on online 1099 work and also use EIN # obtained by IRS which works as substitute for SSN. Is best way to handle freelance or contractor work IMO.

However, I've taken jobs off craigslist VERY happily for many years without problems but I saw a TON of scams like weird email addresses or web job applications on websites with NO company information/contact info/staff filled out on website. I would fill in jibberish for DL# until called for an in-person job interview unless you are doing online work...Sometimes the craigslist work is not picky about DL anyway so can just avoid giving it out unless specifically asked.

Cut/paste job ads become obvious too when you see the wrong city listed or ad listed just too many places online.

Craigslist is nice as is mostly smaller business so more opportunities and few screwed up situations.

Old 02-22-2017, 06:02 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mej1 View Post
I didn't know where else to ask this and since this forum also deals with identity theft issues, I thought someone might know the answer.

Is it safe to send a driver's license number (customer number, not SSN) to someone via email? The reason for sending it is legitimate as is the person I'd be sending it to, I just don't know if it's safe to send it. I don't know if the email is secure or if it can be intercepted. The name of the person it belongs to wouldn't be included at all in the email, if that makes a difference.
There are two questions here - is it considered sensitive information, and is it safe to send it via email.

By definition, any Personally Identifiable Information (PII) is considered sensitive. So your name can be considered sensitive. As is your DL number.

Email is typically not secure and it can be intercepted. That said, it doesn't mean you'll automatically be doomed if you send it via email. In the end, there will be a risk - but is it really enough for you to not do it? We risk our lives every day by getting into our cars... but I'm choosing to accept that risk to enjoy a meal out or catch a movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance