Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 10:30 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Unless you paid cash for your house, you probably have some sort of mortgage.

Ours was a 30 year fixed at 3.875%, ....

How long will it take you to pay it off if you haven't?
At 3.875% I will NEVER have my mortgage paid off, unless commercial rates go to 30 yr term @ <5%

My mortgage is my BANK and a MUCH more secure / stable one that the one on the corner! (Who can CALL your commercial loans due at any minute, and who LOVES to renegotiate terms and add fees every 5 yrs)

Over the last 40 yrs, my mortgages have enabled millions of dollars in transactions. and well over a million $ in gains.

While costly, I do not consider a mortgage evil... just another tool in the box.

We each use our tools differently, BUT... I prefer to have a FULL toolbox than an EMPTY one.

Stuff happens, job loss or economic change could leave me hanging and very vulnerable w/o a mortgage. If you have a good one.... and you use it to your advantage THAT can be a very good thing.

When the banks called all the commercial paper DUE in 2008... I considered THAT evil! People who had never defaulted in 50+ yrs were raped of trillions in equity. That is EVIL. be prepared, keep your tool box well equipped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 07:37 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
On the website when I pay my mortgage, there are spaces for adding $$ to pay to principal or to interest. I am sure all of them feature something like that.

As a matter of fact, my PITI, insurance, and taxes come to $1459. I round up to $1500 and put the extra toward principal. Not much, but it's something and it works for me psychologically.
Yes, my coupon has a space for Extra principal payments.

Besides chunks of extra principal payment,s I started doing that the first payment. I rounded up to the next $100. Like you said, it's not much, but it's something, like the guy selling insurance on TV who saves is pennies in a jar and that pays for his life insurance. Now, unless I am sending a chunk of money towards principal, I round up to the nearest $1000.

And yes it works well psychologically to know you are paying it down faster.

and using your case if you can't afford that extra $41/m then you probably should NOT have qualified for a mortgage to begin with.

I like having it paid off sooner than later.
Amen.

Old 02-28-2017, 10:03 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
I used to take one extra payment and divide that by 12 and add that to each month's payment. A few months ago, I did a re-fi into a 20 year loan (about 18 months into a 30 year), so for right now, that payment is including the extra I kicked in, but I'll start throwing in a little extra again at some point once I'm not still paying for all the extras that come when you buy new construction.

I'm not super worried about having my mortgage completely paid off when I retire, although it would be nice, but I plan to sell and downsize so even if I have a small amount left on the mortgage, I'll still have more than enough to pay cash for something smaller, as well as get some additional cash back to boost my savings at that point.

Old 02-28-2017, 10:26 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I used to take one extra payment and divide that by 12 and add that to each month's payment. A few months ago, I did a re-fi into a 20 year loan (about 18 months into a 30 year), so for right now, that payment is including the extra I kicked in, but I'll start throwing in a little extra again at some point once I'm not still paying for all the extras that come when you buy new construction.

I'm not super worried about having my mortgage completely paid off when I retire, although it would be nice, but I plan to sell and downsize so even if I have a small amount left on the mortgage, I'll still have more than enough to pay cash for something smaller, as well as get some additional cash back to boost my savings at that point.
We went with a 30-year mortgage to get our minimum payment lower [on each of our properties].

Once we got into our first property, we looked at how much 360 payments add up to as a liability against our net worth. We played with the math, using principal-only payments of $50, $100, and $200. They can make a huge difference on net worth of income property. We went with $200 as our appropriate level of payment to be making.

That allowed me to retire fairly young with no debts.

Old 02-28-2017, 09:56 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
yeah except your mortgage specifically mentions that you are not allowed to make extra payments.

1. No, it doesn't, and 2. How would YOU know anyway?

Old 02-28-2017, 10:00 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Yes, my coupon has a space for Extra principal payments.

Besides chunks of extra principal payment,s I started doing that the first payment. I rounded up to the next $100. Like you said, it's not much, but it's something, like the guy selling insurance on TV who saves is pennies in a jar and that pays for his life insurance. Now, unless I am sending a chunk of money towards principal, I round up to the nearest $1000.

And yes it works well psychologically to know you are paying it down faster.

and using your case if you can't afford that extra $41/m then you probably should NOT have qualified for a mortgage to begin with.

I like having it paid off sooner than later.
Amen.

Eventually I will make larger extra payments, but I have something higher-interest to pay off first. Then my mortgage will be my only debt and I will whack it harder.

Old 02-28-2017, 10:38 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,235,559 times
We took out our first mortgage as a 30yr fixed at 3.875% back in April 2012. In 2016, we spent $450 to refinance it to another 30 yr fixed at 3.5%. Our payments are $320 less each month as a result; 1/3rd of which in part as a rate reduction and the other 2/3rds because we reset the loan for another 30 years.

I'll consider refinancing to a 15yr fixed if rates go below 3% after 2027…there are other things I'd rather do with the money before then.

Old 02-28-2017, 11:55 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,872,554 times
Why do people pay 2047 FIXED debt with 2017 after tax dollars. Don't you people have calculators?

Old 03-01-2017, 08:09 AM

468 posts, read 426,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
Why do people pay 2047 FIXED debt with 2017 after tax dollars. Don't you people have calculators?
Not that I feel one way or the other, but I assume you mean that its better to simply pay scheduled amount and not make additional payments?

Its a thought. Would the amount saved on interest paid be the equivalent to the dollar value of 2047 dollars?

Old 03-01-2017, 09:55 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranredd View Post
Not that I feel one way or the other, but I assume you mean that its better to simply pay scheduled amount and not make additional payments?

Its a thought. Would the amount saved on interest paid be the equivalent to the dollar value of 2047 dollars?
No, not in general. You have to run the numbers for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance