Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 12:02 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
So you consider Frugalwoods and MMM pathological?
No. But my point is comparing yourself to them can become the frugal equivalent to comparing yourself to the Joneses with the McMansion and 2 expensive new cars in the driveway.

Quote:
I think the why and how of what they do just fully resonates with me. It's not only the cash savings, but just as much it is the concern for the environment and understanding the origin of happiness and contentment.
Me, too. But that philosophy plays out a little differently in my life than in theirs. Heck, even Mr. Money Mustache recently bought a Tesla.

Quote:
What feels crazy to me is living in a society so incredibly oppositional to those values... modern western societies' inefficiency of money, resources, time and emotional fulfillment is simply dumbfounding.

Society is the one with a pathology and there is no way one can convince me that it doesn't.
I'm with you on all of that. But I still think you should loosen up a little and go on the trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 12:10 PM

1,260 posts, read 2,044,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post

Me, too. But that philosophy plays out a little differently in my life than in theirs. Heck, even Mr. Money Mustache recently bought a Tesla.
He bought Nissan Leaf.

Quote:
Sticker Price (from the car window): $35,445
Dealer Handling Fee (aka more profit margin) added in: $600
Assorted Discounts from Dealer: (-4500)
Hard-to-Explain Discount from Nissan Finance: (-6000)
Federal Tax Credit: (-7500)
Colorado State Tax Credit: (-4653)
Sorta Net Price of Car: $13,391
What he won't tell you is that those "Hard to Explain Discounts" were at least partially from our county grant to promote EV purchases (8k). Good luck getting the Leaf for the same price somewhere outside of our super-progressive, environmentally-crazy-conscious bubble. But hey, go feel bad for driving a gas car, because you can't see yourself buying a limited-range EV for ~28K after Federal credit, while living in an area that doesn't have an infrastructure for EVs.

Old 02-23-2017, 12:28 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
I can't imagine spending 40k on a vacation for four to Europe unless it was months long. That's a chunk of change with some planning could greatly reduce that cost

Old 02-23-2017, 12:34 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I can't imagine spending 40k on a vacation for four to Europe unless it was months long. That's a chunk of change with some planning could greatly reduce that cost
Over plan and under spend!

Old 02-23-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
My limit for vacations is 1K per day for the whole family (3 or 4 people for us). You can have a VERY nice vacation for this price. We usually stay under. For 40k I can vacation for 40 days pretty much anywhere in the world .

Old 02-23-2017, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioToCO View Post
My limit for vacations is 1K per day for the whole family (3 or 4 people for us). You can have a VERY nice vacation for this price. We usually stay under. For 40k I can vacation for 40 days pretty much anywhere in the world .
One or two rooms? My boys will either be 14 and 11 or 15 and 12. I went when I was their age, and my parents always got a second room for my sister and I (she was in her late teens at the time).

We'll be spending 3-4 nights in London. I imagine we $1000 a day could disappear rather quickly just on the accommodation. Or so I've heard...

Old 02-23-2017, 12:43 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
Just plan better both with your vacation budget and your regular budgeting and goals so it doesn't need to be gimmicky.

Old 02-23-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Just plan better both with your vacation budget and your regular budgeting and goals so it doesn't need to be gimmicky.
gimmicky?

I'm honestly intimidated by planning a trip to Europe. The process makes me understand why tour groups are popular. However I really value my autonomy so I'll have to figure it out.

Old 02-23-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
One or two rooms? My boys will either be 14 and 11 or 15 and 12. I went when I was their age, and my parents always got a second room for my sister and I (she was in her late teens at the time).

We'll be spending 3-4 nights in London. I imagine we $1000 a day could disappear rather quickly just on the accommodation. Or so I've heard...
If it's my immediate family we always find a way to fit in 1 room if it's a hotel. I have two boys, 6 years apart. They complained about sharing a bed when they were 10 and 16, but I could usually convince them that it was a minor inconvenience, and I wasn't paying extra $100-200 a night for extra room.

You have more flexibility if you rent an apartment or house through Airbnb or VRBO, which is my preferred way to travel. Still, in Stockholm, we had 3 people (my husband, myself and our then 18 year old) in one big room. Teenager had his own bed, of course .
Another advantage to having an apartment with kitchen is that it makes it easy to have breakfast and some dinners in. Saves money, and provides more authentic experience. I love shopping at local grocery stores and markets when we travel!

Old 02-23-2017, 01:31 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:

While it's easy to spend that much on flagship properties, you don't have to come close to that, especially given current exchange rates. I was playing around on Accor's web site, and got about $160 per room per night for a perfectly nice Novotel during peak summer travel times (free Le Club Accor member rate)

Novotel London Tower Bridge | Central Hotels in London

Quote:
Novotel London Tower Bridge is a 4-star hotel ideally located in Central London, close to both the iconic Tower Bridge and the Tower of London. With easy access to the financial heart of London City, our 203 guest rooms come equipped with free internet access and satellite TV to make your stay more comfortable and enjoyable. Our Keepers bar and restaurant are open late serving a mix of British and European cuisine, we also have a fitness centre, sauna and hammam for you to enjoy at your leisure.

The hotel is located near many famous London attractions and is just 8km from London City Airport. The City is a short walk away, with other major tourist attractions easily accessible vita the tube, from Novotel Tower Bridge hotel. Enjoy a drink or seafood platter at the bar, or have a relaxing dining experience at the hotel restaurant. Novotel Tower Bridge is also an idea business hotel London, with facilities for business meetings, seminars or congresses.
While getting started with European trip planning can be a bit intimidating at first, especially in the big cities with a bazillion different options, one I started getting the hang of it, I've found the hunt for the rigt hotel at the right price to be rather fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance