Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2017, 04:45 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,207,670 times

Advertisements

^^^^^^^^^
I'm glad to see you have respected the request of the OP in post #140 to move away from the tithing issue. Well done.

OP: Your changes are encouraging and will help you in the long term, congratulations on staying with your convictions in addition to changing what you can/will change to better your situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 04:46 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,378,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
^^^^^^^^^
I'm glad to see you have respected the request of the OP in post #140 to move away from the tithing issue. Well done.

OP: Your changes are encouraging and will help you in the long term, congratulations on staying with your convictions in addition to changing what you can/will change to better your situation.

I may not agree with it but I respect her views on it

Old 03-07-2017, 04:49 PM

6,768 posts, read 5,480,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iShine86 View Post
Oh my!

Thanks for all of the replies everyone. When I first posted this, I was NOT expecting to receive this much advice. You all have been tremendously helpful.

UPDATE:

Cell phone: My new bill will be lowered to $45 at the end of my current monthly bill (March 17th).
Gym: My new gym fee is $13
Life Insurance: Gone.
Dry cleaners: Out
Food: (Not eating out, just groceries) $60.00

Now, let me address the many other concerns and issues that you all wondered about.

1.Tithing: I am not going to completely stop tithing. Period. Thank you all for your concerns and opinions. There's no changing my mind. I will lower my tithes by $10 by paying the exact 10%. Every little dollar counts, right?

I have no church pledge for tithes. I'm simply tithing based on my income. (Or I will be in the future.) My church isn't forcing me to tithe. Honestly, my church won't be hurt if I don't tithe but I do think my tithing helps. I hope that makes sense. Please understand that tithing is completely my choice.

I did include tithing in my original post. In hindsight, like a lot of my financial choices, this was a mistake. I wish I could go back and edit, but I can't. So please, let's just all move on.

2. Work: I've posted so much personal things on here already, I would like to keep this private. I hope you all understand. I will say that the poster asking about social work is in the right neighborhood.

3. Job dues: This is a monthly fee for Birthdays and Holidays for my co-workers and I.

4. Degree: I have a Bachelor's degree and I am working in my field of study. There is little growth in the area I'm in and I'm looking to move around and/or leaving this field completely.

5. Retirement: I am contributing to a retirement saving through work. This means virtually nothing though as I don't plan on working at my job long enough to be vested.

I hope I've answered some of your questions.

Again, thanks for your help and I look forward to giving more positive updates on lowering my debt.

Good start!

At least now that it is "on paper" or "on the table" you can look at it.

1} I fully respected your right to tithe and Amen to that {} , and would never ask you to STOP, but consider: if you read my post where I suggested lowering it to $25/week {$100/m}, but I still would would like you to think about this: think about reducing and doing more volunteering for the church. Even if the church is not hurting, you could still do things like: organize a a bake sale, a white elephant sale, or a church supper...say spaghetti dinner @$8 a plate, it will cost you about $1 for the actual dinner, but will bring in funds for the church. Also, Each church has paid positions: A} perhaps you volunteering will reduce that cost for them, B} perhaps you could take on a part time FOR the church to add to your monthly income. Not only was I serving on the Board of Deacons {unpaid}; but I organized and helped operate {with the help of other volunteers} spaghetti suppers and a chicken and biscuit dinner, also having a white elephant sale in the foyer at the same time {basically a "yard sale" with donated goods from congregants if you don't know what one is}; and I volunteered at the church's food pantry {unpaid}. There are ways to give to God and the Church without giving cash-think about it...missionaries don't get paid anything at all or at most a stipend for serving God in other countries, doing things like building houses, digging wells and septic, as well as spreading The Word. {[BTW: my church also knew I was struggling and appreciated the help more than any amount of cash I could give them...guess who was also a recipient of the church's food pantry????]}. Even the $10 you save is better than nothing. I also believe if you give to the Universe, the Universe gives to you!

2} Understood, I was never even wondering what you did. Or your education. They {people who "know" [financial advisers] not posters here} say if you can't increase your income in a dead field see where your skills may fit into another category of career. Best of luck!

3} this is a tricky one: you can choose not to participate, and of course not expect anything in return. I never participated. Your option. If your coworkers are struggling as much, they will understand. At least it makes sense. We {I included} were wondering what job you had that required you to PAY to work there!

4] Look to #2, or look to a new degree in a field that MOSTLY uses your old degree courses that may only require one year to complete and change your field dramatically.

5}How much more time can you stick it out to be vested? you can take it with you to a new job or pay the taxes and put into a taxable account like a IRA. If you have worked only a year, fine, leave, but if you have worked five out of 7 years vesting, maybe struggle along for the other two. I think you said you are just starting out..

Nice to see you cut the other bills....Now, we'd like to know what you are going to DO with the savings? add to your $200/m for moving out? or save for retirement? or use it towards your loans?

Inquiring minds want to know how you are doing and what happens to you! SOme of us, like me, CARE!

Old 03-07-2017, 05:52 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,622,262 times
Quote:
Oh my!

Thanks for all of the replies everyone. When I first posted this, I was NOT expecting to receive this much advice. You all have been tremendously helpful.

UPDATE:

Cell phone: My new bill will be lowered to $45 at the end of my current monthly bill (March 17th).

Now, let me address the many other concerns and issues that you all wondered about.

1.Tithing: I am not going to completely stop tithing. Period. Thank you all for your concerns and opinions. There's no changing my mind. I will lower my tithes by $10 by paying the exact 10%. Every little dollar counts, right?

I have no church pledge for tithes. I'm simply tithing based on my income. (Or I will be in the future.) My church isn't forcing me to tithe. Honestly, my church won't be hurt if I don't tithe but I do think my tithing helps. I hope that makes sense. Please understand that tithing is completely my choice.

I did include tithing in my original post. In hindsight, like a lot of my financial choices, this was a mistake. I wish I could go back and edit, but I can't. So please, let's just all move on.

2. Work: I've posted so much personal things on here already, I would like to keep this private. I hope you all understand. I will say that the poster asking about social work is in the right neighborhood.

3. Job dues: This is a monthly fee for Birthdays and Holidays for my co-workers and I.

4. Degree: I have a Bachelor's degree and I am working in my field of study. There is little growth in the area I'm in and I'm looking to move around and/or leaving this field completely.

5. Retirement: I am contributing to a retirement saving through work. This means virtually nothing though as I don't plan on working at my job long enough to be vested.

Again, thanks for your help and I look forward to giving more positive updates on lowering my debt.
Well thank you for the update and good for you.

Is there any chance your parents would lower or eliminate the rent for the time being?

My late father with my brother who had financial issues took the rent money and put it in an account and gave him back the money later on.

Old 03-07-2017, 06:30 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,466,956 times
This isn't a dig against the OP...if only we could get people to religiously contribute 10% to 401k with the motto; if you cannot live off 90% you cannot live off 100%. Like others I don't agree with the tith while in debt but I respect them for it.

Old 03-07-2017, 06:54 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,478,379 times
Quote:
Oh my!

UPDATE:

You are on your way. Good for you.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:32 PM

90 posts, read 73,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Good start!

At least now that it is "on paper" or "on the table" you can look at it.

5}How much more time can you stick it out to be vested? you can take it with you to a new job or pay the taxes and put into a taxable account like a IRA. If you have worked only a year, fine, leave, but if you have worked five out of 7 years vesting, maybe struggle along for the other two. I think you said you are just starting out..

Nice to see you cut the other bills....Now, we'd like to know what you are going to DO with the savings? add to your $200/m for moving out? or save for retirement? or use it towards your loans?

Inquiring minds want to know how you are doing and what happens to you! SOme of us, like me, CARE!
First off, thanks for this post.

I've worked nearly 3 years out of 8 vesting. I can't stay another 5 years unless my pay drastically improves. This sucks because I, on the most part, enjoy what I do.

My savings will first go to my lowest student loan. I'm still on the fence on whether or not I should first save $500 before using my savings on it. This loan has given me the blues for years and I just want it gone.

I will try to keep you guys updated quarterly to let you know how I am doing, God willing.

This really is a fantastic thread and I hope it helps other as well.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:37 PM

88,504 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
Based on my very cursory reading on the subject, it appears that in the Christian community, tithing first, regardless of one's financial situation, is very common.

Here is what Dave Ramsey has to say on the matter:

"Is it acceptable to pause tithing in tough financial times?

The Bible does not mention anything about "pausing" tithing. Neither does it say that we will go to Hell if we do not tithe.
The tithe, which is a scriptural mandate, was not instituted for God's benefit because He already has all the money He needs. He does not need our money.

So why does He ask us to give 10% to Him? Tithing was created for our benefit. It is to teach us how to keep God first in our lives and how to be unselfish people. Unselfish people make better husbands, wives, friends, relatives, employees and employers. God is trying to teach us how to prosper over time.

Many people have observed that after they stopped tithing, their finances seemed to get worse. In the Book of Malachi, God promises that if you do not rob Him of your tithing, He will rebuke your devourers and protect you.

If you cannot live off 90% of your income, then you cannot live off 100%. It does not require a miracle for you to get through the month. I think that if you sit down and look at your budget, you will see that you can make it while giving at least 10%. Read the Bible and take from it what you will, and if you tithe, do it out of love for God, not guilt.

I do not beat people up for not tithing because Jesus certainly did not, but let me encourage you to keep tithing."
Just to give the dead horse one last kick, the original purpose of tithing was to provide for the Levites, the priestly class who performed the religious duties and had no land/cattle/crops of their own, and their families.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:39 PM

90 posts, read 73,500 times
PARENTS/RENT: I realized that I never addressed some questions. I know my parents well enough to know that they won't lower the price of rent. At all.

I asked a while back when we first came up with the agreement. Long story short, it didn't go well. I won't ask again.

I'm just blessed that they're letting me stay at all.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:51 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,547,309 times
I am flabbergasted that some refuse to let the tithing issue go. What is the point? In the view of the OP, there is no such thing as giving time instead. He's giving 10%, end of story he has said flat out that is totally off the table so why do some persist?

We can't help people if they won't do 100% exactly how we would? That's nuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance