Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2017, 04:07 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,340,787 times

Advertisements

Obviously your call on Tithing. You can volunteer and do other things with more impact than pissing away your money.

I know the pastor with the Jaguar and the license plate "Apostle" appreciates it. Yes, a real guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 04:56 PM

672 posts, read 697,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iShine86 View Post

My monthly expenses starting in April will be:

$240.00 - Tithes
$400.00 - Car Note (It's actually $374, but I pay the extra $26 to make it an even $400.)
$400.00 - Rent for parents
$$115.00 - Car Insurance
$140.00 - Gas
$120.00 - Food
$135.00 - Cell phone
$25.00 - Life Insurance
$22.00 - Gym (My parents live in a pretty rough neighborhood, so walking around outside for exercise isn't an option.)
$10.00 - Job fee
$100.00 - Dry cleaners
$200.00 - Dental (Saving to have major dental work done)
$200.00 - Saving for moving out
$80.00 - Navient
$110 - Nelnet

This virtually leaves me no room for anything. I live paycheck to paycheck. I literally feel like I'm drowning and I've lost many nights of sleep over this.

Someone, please help me.
You have an income problem and if you move out in a year you'll be in the exact same situation in 3 months.

example budget if you moved back on your own:

$240.00 - Tithes
$374 - Car Note
$800 - Rent
$120 - Utilities
$80 - Internet
$$115.00 - Car Insurance
$140.00 - Gas
$300 - Food
$135.00 - Cell phone
$0 - Life Insurance
$10 - Gym (My parents live in a pretty rough neighborhood, so walking around outside for exercise isn't an option.)
$10.00 - Job fee
$0 - Dry cleaners
$0 - Dental (Saving to have major dental work done)
$0 - Saving for moving out
$80.00 - Navient
$110 - Nelnet

=$2504(expenses)-$2300(income) = -$204 income
Even If you eliminated tithing you still don't make enough income for your expenses.
You have three car loans in a sense on a $38-$42K gross income
$240 - tithing
$489 - actual car note + insurance
$190($26,000) - student loans

That's $919 in expenses from the start or $679 if you eliminate the tithing which isn't obligatory but that a personal decision you have to deal with although you really can afford to do so.

How is your $22,500 student loan only $110 per month?

With a 20 year loan you would have to pay at a rate of $172 per month to pay it of in 20yrs.
At 10 years you need to pay $259 per month to eliminate your student loan.
With a theoretical loan term of 60 years you would have to pay at least $130 per month to pay it off in that time frame.
By paying $110 per month you literally cannot pay of the loan. So I'm not understanding this.

Realistically you need to increase your income by at least $10k and stay at home for 2yrs minimum unless only staying 1 year is an agreement with you parents. Although, unless you increase your income your honestly wasting your time.

In the short term, the $200 you're saving to move out should go to your $3500 student loan. At a 6.8% interest rate and with a payment of $280 per month you'll have it paid off in 13 months.

Unless you do something to increase your income significantly you'll have to accept the fact that this will be life for you for some time in the future.

Also is your relationship stable enough with your parents that you can count on staying with them for a year or more?

Old 03-06-2017, 05:33 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,662,779 times
Quote:

I'm going to look at seasonal or part-time jobs when I get home from work and this weekend when I'm off. I've worked in retain and fast food before. Years ago, though. It'll be interesting to go back. I'm not above any honest work at this point though.
Nope. You're not above. You're about $47k below and in fact, I imagine that many, possibly most, of those doing "honest work" will have a higher net worth than you, and many with less education and less dry cleaning.

So let me tell you about the work I do: I clean up dog poop. I walk the dogs too, but some of my clients specifically hire me to let their dogs out to go take a dump. And since I live in Seattle I'm frequently picking up dog poop in the rain, for hours at a time...

I have a college degree and took some graduate courses too.. but well, when it comes down to it: my occupation is mostly full of ----.

While I'm out with my dogs I notice who else is working around me... mostly landscapers, delivery truck drivers, nannies and housecleaners. I know several of the housecleaners pretty well. We're friends and I've actually helped one with a few of her clients.

The thing is, I live where I work... so I can afford the landscapers, nannies, housecleaners and dog walkers... I can afford it all and still have enough left over to send my kids to college and graduate school and probably have an early retirement. This is because my husband brings in a good income and -I argue just as important- I'm incredibly driven to conserve it. Whatever time I have leftover I use to bring in additional income in whatever capacity I can... my neighbors will happily pay me to clean up after their pets... so that's what I do. And there is no shame in it....

To hear you say "it'll be interesting" to do "honest work" is sorta annoying.

I don't know, maybe you'll meet a nice man soon and settle down and raise a nice family like I did, but if you don't...

You will really need to open your eyes. Your dry cleaned clothes and fit physique are masking a borrowed reality. The reality is right now you have less than nothing.

Old 03-06-2017, 05:34 PM

672 posts, read 697,943 times
Quote:
I understand that some of you think I'm foolish for not giving up tithing completely, but there are things that I just won't compromise on. I'd rather give up something else than to not tithe. I believe that this money isn't mine anyway, so why try to withhold it.
Nothing wrong with conviction, we don't live with your conscience, so it's not really in our place to tell you what to ultimately do in that situation. As long as you understand it's a part of the reason you're living paycheck to paycheck.

I really don't think I'll be ready to move out in (less than a) year either, but knowing that I have a deadline will push me to really work hard.
You're up a creek without a paddle. Enjoy the scenery for now, you're locked in for more than a year.

I'm going to look at seasonal or part-time jobs when I get home from work and this weekend when I'm off. I've worked in retain and fast food before. Years ago, though. It'll be interesting to go back. I'm not above any honest work at this point though.
I wouldn't suggest fast food at 30 unless your in management which wouldn't be the case for you. I did it until I was 23. At 30 you wouldn't deal with the BS involved with fast food for long. Fast food get degraded on here by most posters but the would last a month doing it when there are many other jobs available with less stress and better pay. I suggest trying retail or a restaurant as a waitress or greeter.

My parents won't go lower than $400 and I honestly don't blame them. I'll just have to deal with it.
They shouldn't. You can't live anywhere that cheap with utilities,food,internet and maybe cable included. You have the right mind set regarding that.

Dry cleaning and Life insurance are completely cut.
Good...Dry cleaning is a luxury in your case but don't be so quick to eliminate your life insurance. Does your job provide a a basic plan for free? Are you paying for an additional plan? Also, how often is the enrollment period? My job offers a basic $10k plan for free so that's why I don't have additional insurance. I am around the same age a you.

Gym will be downgraded to the very basic plan.
Great...Most of us are not super active with our memberships anyway.

Old 03-06-2017, 05:44 PM

92 posts, read 94,561 times
If you are getting a large tax refund then you should change your W-4, See https://apps.irs.gov/app/withholding...ator/index.jsp

Old 03-06-2017, 06:03 PM

37,589 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
I'm 30 years old and I don't know how to adult. I moved in with my parents in January for a year and they make me pay bills. I haven't saved a dime. (I know I suck as a person because of this. )

Some background info:

I make about $2300 a month. The problem is, I have about $26,000 of student loan debt.

Navient - $3,500 - 6.8%
Nelnet - $22,500 -6.8%

**Navient is in deferment until May and Nelnet is in forbearance until August.

I also have a car loan of about $21,000. My car was bought new. It is a 2015 Honda Civic. I have to drive a lot for work, so I needed something reliable.

Car Loan - $21,000 - 1.9%

I have really good credit: 740

That's all concerning my debt.

My monthly expenses starting in April will be:

$240.00 - Tithes
$400.00 - Car Note (It's actually $374, but I pay the extra $26 to make it an even $400.)
$$115.00 - Car Insurance
$140.00 - Gas
$120.00 - Food
$135.00 - Cell phone
$25.00 - Life Insurance
$22.00 - Gym (My parents live in a pretty rough neighborhood, so walking around outside for exercise isn't an option.)
$10.00 - Job fee
$100.00 - Dry cleaners
$80.00 - Navient
$110 - Nelnet

This virtually leaves me no room for anything. I live paycheck to paycheck. I literally feel like I'm drowning and I've lost many nights of sleep over this.

Someone, please help me.
Holy crap. Are you serious?

$240.00 - Tithes Yeah NO. This is not a debt. Eliminate this expense until you are financially able to manage it. That's what an ADULT does.

$$115.00 - Car Insurance

$140.00 - Gas

$120.00 - Food If this includes eating out, STOP THAT. Go to the grocery store and learn how to cook and make lunches.

$135.00 - Cell phone You can get a prepaid plan for 39.99 at Page Plue, even less at Cricket. This is a ridiculous waste of $100.

$25.00 - Life Insurance For WHAT? Who are your dependents? GET RID OF IT until you have children.

$10.00 - Job fee What???

$100.00 - Dry cleaners Are you kidding me? Figure out how to wash and iron clothes.

$80.00 - Navient
$110 - Nelnet

There. $440 and I didn't even try hard.

Old 03-06-2017, 06:22 PM

90 posts, read 73,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post

To hear you say "it'll be interesting" to do "honest work" is sorta annoying.
My apologies.

Old 03-06-2017, 06:24 PM

90 posts, read 73,500 times
That for the responses. I'll try my best to do the things that I said I would. I can't wait to return with great news about my debt.

Old 03-06-2017, 06:40 PM

Quote:
My apologies.
No need to apologize.

I really hope that everything else I wrote sinks in though...

Old 03-06-2017, 06:41 PM

[url]https://theproductivewoman.com/#play[/url]

I enjoy listening to this lady. Every time I feel a little down about my dreams and goals I listen and it always gets me back on track.

good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance