Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 08:07 AM

5 posts, read 4,083 times

Advertisements

I have an issue that is being investigated with my WF account and it's weird they are taking so long.

Long story short, as I am writing from my cell and not my laptop, on two occasions in the last six months, I purchase cashier's checks at my bank branch near my job and found out later that more cash had been withdrawn than the amount of the check. Check #1) I bought it for $824 but the amount withdrawn was $961 and check#2) I bought for $50 and $65 was withdrawn.

I am positive I did not leave the bank with cash on those days and believe me, when I finally noticed what had happened viewing my online banking info, I was online for over 3 hours trying to figure out where this cash I don't remember withdrawing flew off to. Did I give it to a friend? Pay another bill? I went to my bank branch and asked why the amount debited from my account was different than the amount on my cashier's check. I was told by a manager that their computer showed I bought the check for the amount I specified but then an addition was counted out cash by the teller on that same transaction. I told him that wasn't possible I know for a fact I did not leave the bank with cash, just the cashier's check. I realized this was simple. I asked him to check the video cameras for that day to see if they can see the teller counting me cash. Maybe I am just crazy and truly forgot. That was a month ago. I haven't seen the images yet, though they say their cameras confirm I was counted out cash. They last said, they found the images but they haven't found the "right images". And that once they do find them they will show me them.

What the heck??? I need SOME sort of advice or somethin. Anyone hear of anything like this?

Last edited by AmIcrazy77; 03-12-2017 at 08:10 AM.. Reason: Needed to add that both checks were from same bank branch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 08:51 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,197,505 times
Demand to see the transaction video recordings. Maybe you simply forgot that you did draw cash. Although the cash amount is not a normal withdrawal since most tend to draw even numbers. I mean I never withdrew $15 cash.

Old 03-12-2017, 10:05 AM

22,168 posts, read 29,135,431 times
Is there fees for the cashiers check?

Old 03-12-2017, 10:43 AM

23,510 posts, read 69,890,838 times
Inform the bank you will be filing a police report unless you get to see the video. Then do so. Tellers do commit fraud from time to time, as do bank managers.

If you want to be more certain the amount withdrawn is accurate at a glance, always withdraw with the same odd amount, such as always finishing out with $7. ($207, $57, etc.) It isn't foolproof, but close enough.

Old 03-12-2017, 11:15 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,237,864 times
Did you use the same teller and bank branch. If not very strange. I would file a police report. You would not be the only one to have the problem if it was a bad teller.

Old 03-12-2017, 11:20 AM

736 posts, read 452,109 times
Did you account for fees? Most banks charge a fee for a cashiers' check. In fact I think all of them do.

Old 03-12-2017, 11:28 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,727,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PesachSeder View Post
Did you account for fees? Most banks charge a fee for a cashiers' check. In fact I think all of them do.
$137? I don't think they charge that much. Maybe $15, which is the difference of the 2nd transaction.

Old 03-12-2017, 11:31 AM

12,945 posts, read 7,323,119 times
I'd change banks.
Bank is not going to let you view camera images, because there may or may not be any.
I'd also change your cashier's purchasing procedure: review the transaction receipts! Before you walk out the door...

Old 03-12-2017, 11:35 AM

736 posts, read 452,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
$137? I don't think they charge that much. Maybe $15, which is the difference of the 2nd transaction.
Some banks charge a flat fee for CC's, some charge a percentage. maybe OP should have asked what the fees would be at the time you got the CC's check so would actually know? No, didn't.

When we paid off our mortgage, Chase would only accept a cashiers' check or a wire transfer. I asked what fees for each would be and made my choice.

Old 03-12-2017, 11:49 AM

5 posts, read 4,083 times
Default Thank ALL of you for your speedy responses..

Annnnd I'm decided I am going to file a police report today. Gather my notes, and I took name's and dates of their investigation process, and see how I can resolve this.

I wonder how fast I get the $187 total back into my account after I file that report. 😁 72hours? 48hrs? Hmmm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance