Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 11:48 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times

Advertisements

Freedom to be poor and rich. So some folks choose well and other didnt. That's the high level of what gives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 12:22 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Freedom to be poor and rich. So some folks choose well and other didnt. That's the high level of what gives.
Well damn. That about sums it up completely.

Old 03-13-2017, 01:53 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times
I generally tip $2 per person on a meal for great service. That, in this area is an $8-12 entree most places, and as high as $25/entree. It CAN go up or down, depending....

I don't consider I need to tip more than $2 just because the same one entree cost more. They both usually get bread of some kind and a salad. Those "extra trips" to the table to bring them are part of the deal.

I don't figure coming to my table ONCE to take my order, and ONCE to drop it off WITH the check is worth more than $0.50-1/person at all. THAT is NO Service. I get THAT service at McD's or BK FOR FREE.

I WILL tip more than the $2/person IF the server is genuinely NICE, PLEASANT. INTERESTED in "how my meal is", and PAYS ATTENTION to things like: our requests, automatically refilling the "free refills" glasses of soda or coffee, offering dessert, and ASKS if we are ready for desert OR TOGO boxes and the check; and especially if s/he IS busy and genuinely takes the time with me/my party, and that is REGARDLESS of the entree price...

Granted the last statement is WHAT A GOOD SERVER SHOULD DO, but many here DON'T.

AND, I DON'T care HOW BUSY s/he may be, I've WORKED the restaurant business, AND the RETAIL business, I know that already, especially in retail the Day After TG, I only tip for GREAT SERVICE.

I also DON'T like "mandatory tips" of 20% for "large parties".

I also DON'T like the FORCED tipping of "having it included in your entree price", either.

Old 03-13-2017, 05:40 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
cost of meal should have no bearing on how much you tip either

the chefs did the work in preparing the $5 vs $50 meals, not the waitress

The different is her bring one plate vs one fancy plate, the work is the same regardless

Old 03-13-2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
I also DON'T like the FORCED tipping of "having it included in your entree price", either.

That restaurant I mentioned with the included tip has been our go-to for celebration meals (anniversaries and birthdays). More out of convenience I suppose... but the service is truly extraordinary. I mean, very, very polished and complete. Servers don't feel rushed and take the time to go through the menus and specials of the evening. Even complete with wine pairings.. for pizza...

We went a few weeks ago and our server had recommended a pear gelato that still astonishes me. I had never tasted a frozen desert that perfectly captured the essence of a fruit like that.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:16 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
I generally tip $2 per person on a meal for great service. That, in this area is an $8-12 entree most places, and as high as $25/entree. It CAN go up or down, depending....

I don't consider I need to tip more than $2 just because the same one entree cost more. They both usually get bread of some kind and a salad. Those "extra trips" to the table to bring them are part of the deal.

I don't figure coming to my table ONCE to take my order, and ONCE to drop it off WITH the check is worth more than $0.50-1/person at all. THAT is NO Service. I get THAT service at McD's or BK FOR FREE.

I WILL tip more than the $2/person IF the server is genuinely NICE, PLEASANT. INTERESTED in "how my meal is", and PAYS ATTENTION to things like: our requests, automatically refilling the "free refills" glasses of soda or coffee, offering dessert, and ASKS if we are ready for desert OR TOGO boxes and the check; and especially if s/he IS busy and genuinely takes the time with me/my party, and that is REGARDLESS of the entree price...

Granted the last statement is WHAT A GOOD SERVER SHOULD DO, but many here DON'T.

AND, I DON'T care HOW BUSY s/he may be, I've WORKED the restaurant business, AND the RETAIL business, I know that already, especially in retail the Day After TG, I only tip for GREAT SERVICE.

I also DON'T like "mandatory tips" of 20% for "large parties".

I feel the same way. Good service doesn't mean they just bring you food. They need to come back and ask me whether I need anything.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:48 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
In Seattle, even $15/hour is not a living wage, with the average 1 bedroom apartment costing 75% of that, while landlords will require income to be enough that rent is only 30%. Most of the time you would have no idea how much the waitstaff make, since it depends on the number of employees, but also, not all of them are getting 40 hours. I continue to tip 10-20% depending on the level of service. Some places in Seattle, however, are now charging a service fee of 18.5% in lieu of tipping.

I wonder if restaurants that are doing that will lose business. I usually tip 20% unless service was crummy then I tip 15%. If it was really crummy 10% with a note that "I'm not cheap, service was sub-par." If a restaurant near me started charging a service fee of 18.5% I would no longer go there. A tip is given for good service and for a server to have an incentive to give you that good service.

In places like Seattle, NYC, San Francisco, Chicago and other high costs of living areas that $15 an hour is nothing. Comes to $2400 a month which might get you a decent apartment if you don't have a car payment, car insurance, high utilities and wish to eat more than one meal a day.

I noticed the other day in one of our local fast food restaurants that they have 4 kiosks where you can order your food, pay and then pick it up when it's ready. Fast food workers might want $15 an hour, doesn't mean fast food restaurants are going to give it to them if they can find a way around it. Realistically I don't see how anybody can make ends meet on minimum wage these days even in the smallest podunk town. Traditionally, in the past, fast food workers were high school kids or seniors wanting a little extra spending money. It was never meant to be a living wage.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:59 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
The friend is perfectly fine. Medical residents are doctors still in training:

https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/m...RCH_KO0,16.htm

You might wanna redo your math 13 a hour is 26,000 a year. 26 a hour is 52000 a year. And I'm pretty sure it's a salary position. There is no way in hell a resident is making $13 a hour.
Now if you're adding her TOTAL hours worked vs her salary her salary pay converted to hourly may be 13 a hour. But she's doing residency so she's gotta go through the trenches in medical warfare to earn her stripes.
Just like every other doctor before her had to do. Once she's out of residency she's going to start pulling down 150k a year without batting a eye and that guy making 15 a hour is gonna get his doors blown off.
Don't feel too bad for your friend. It's temporary

Old 03-13-2017, 12:33 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
You might wanna redo your math 13 a hour is 26,000 a year. 26 a hour is 52000 a year. And I'm pretty sure it's a salary position. There is no way in hell a resident is making $13 a hour.
Now if you're adding her TOTAL hours worked vs her salary her salary pay converted to hourly may be 13 a hour. But she's doing residency so she's gotta go through the trenches in medical warfare to earn her stripes.
Just like every other doctor before her had to do. Once she's out of residency she's going to start pulling down 150k a year without batting a eye and that guy making 15 a hour is gonna get his doors blown off.
I'm prett sure my SIL is making something like 13.00 in residency even at 50k but working 80 hour weeks

Old 03-13-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
It's not my friend and there isn't any reason not to assume the OP is including TOTAL hours. As you stated: doing residency you gotta go through the trenches to earn your [high earning] stripes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance