Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 09:41 PM

296 posts, read 232,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
cost of meal should have no bearing on how much you tip either

the chefs did the work in preparing the $5 vs $50 meals, not the waitress

The different is her bring one plate vs one fancy plate, the work is the same regardless
The cost of the meal has A LOT to do with it. The tip has always been based on a percentage of the meal, right?
Never mind the chef and the dishwashers. That's not the customers responsibility. What's next ? Do we add another percentage to go to the restaurants accountants? Or maybe we could tip to pay for the owners children's college fund; you know add another dollar or so? Just give till it hurts, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 10:02 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
good, she isn't reliant on a tip
Few people around here really are. Though I read that our governor's salary is the lowest among all states.

Old 03-14-2017, 07:09 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire1 View Post
These fast food workers, waitstaff and others are now upset since the larger checks they earn no longer allow them to receive food stamps or medicaid.
They feel they should still get all the entitlements.
Wow! That's a pretty big assumption there that all the people in the food service industry are on government assistance. I know a couple of women who are servers and not one is on welfare. Actually one works at an upscale restaurant and sometimes brings home $100 or more in cash in one night.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:31 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Wow! That's a pretty big assumption there that all the people in the food service industry are on government assistance. I know a couple of women who are servers and not one is on welfare. Actually one works at an upscale restaurant and sometimes brings home $100 or more in cash in one night.
I have worked in fast food and in 2 pizza parlors, my wife has been a waitress in multiple truck stops. We have never been on assistance.

I do not see why anyone would associate working with welfare.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:44 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
I just can't muster up enough contempt for a friendly, hard-working restaurant server to begrudge them their relatively small hourly wage or deny them a good tip.

Service industry work in the US should be compulsory, like joining the military is in some countries. Work hard, stay humble.
Excellent post. I assume the grumblers were never depending on tips to pay the rent. Having been there, I will never stiff a server except in the most extreme cases of bad service. In addition, that tip they complain about is often divided up among other non-serving staff. Tipping is an opportunity everyone has to directly share their good fortune with others not so fortunate.

Old 03-14-2017, 11:14 AM

24,548 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDrenter223 View Post
I was talking to a friend who recently went to Seattle and he said that not only was restaurant food more expensive, but that the workers at large chains were getting $15/hr and there were still tip lines on the receipts.

Why?

Wasn't the whole fight for fifteen about a liveable wage? And now that liveable wage is baked into the price of the meal (he said it was 20-30% more than here), why is an additional 20% expected?

It's crazy. $15/hr to bring water and food from the kitchen to my table, plus you want another $20/per table?

My friend is going to be making just $13.25/hr as a medical resident, how in the world are we in a situation where a burger flipper is making more per hour than a doctor? And that's a burger flipper, not waitstaff that are demanding $15/hr plus 20% tips.
How about a quick reality check?

The overall Seattle corridor has one of the highest COL in the US and also some of the highest incomes for professionals. Not everyone can be in IT, medical, finance, ... Worker bees want to house, feed and take care of their families. Not everyone is at a point or will ever be in a professional career to make the 100k+ it takes to live in Seattle.

Lower life forms can work two jobs? The usual answer. You can follow the current trend and brown bag it and cook for friends at home. Maybe put up a tip jar. Have you ever worked one hour as burger flipper? I had a manager who ended complaints about support staff by assigning professionals as fill-ins for the ones they complained about.

Your friend is a resident. That is a long way from being able to hang his shingle.

Just FYI - flight instructors and licensed (not still in training but ATP/hours/rated) pilots very often come in at minimum wages or below so employers treat them like wait staff.

Old 03-14-2017, 11:35 AM

940 posts, read 969,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post

Just FYI - flight instructors and licensed (not still in training but ATP/hours/rated) pilots very often come in at minimum wages or below so employers treat them like wait staff.
Yep we put in lots of hours for what amounted to around $4/hr, or at least I did, back in 2003. In 2004 I made a little more than minimum wage, but not much, based on actual hours present. We only get paid flight time and therefore all the time sitting around waiting for flights was unpaid.

It's different now but a decade ago, you'd spend $40k on ratings and whatever your heart desires for college (could be $10k or $100k, you pick) but $40k min for ratings to be a CFI. You'd work 14-16 hour days to make if you're lucky $200-$300 a week to start. I moved around the country three times in search of multi time (refused to buy it). Some guys dropped tens of thousands on multi time in order to get the airlines faster.

I did once get a tip. From a student. To go on a gambling boat trip (because I had no money). Juan was his name. Thanks, Juan.

My heart goes out to those making below min wage and I do tip them. But I won't tip those making over min wage doing their jobs in many cases. If it's expected I don't visit those establishments.

Old 03-14-2017, 03:12 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,792,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
How about a quick reality check?

The overall Seattle corridor has one of the highest COL in the US and also some of the highest incomes for professionals. Not everyone can be in IT, medical, finance, ... Worker bees want to house, feed and take care of their families. Not everyone is at a point or will ever be in a professional career to make the 100k+ it takes to live in Seattle.

Lower life forms can work two jobs? The usual answer. You can follow the current trend and brown bag it and cook for friends at home. Maybe put up a tip jar. Have you ever worked one hour as burger flipper? I had a manager who ended complaints about support staff by assigning professionals as fill-ins for the ones they complained about.

Your friend is a resident. That is a long way from being able to hang his shingle.

Yes my friend is a resident, and he works 80/hrs a week saving lives, so it's ok for him to do this but not for a burger flipper?

A waiter should make more working 35 hours a week than a doctor working 80? Come on.

At $15/HR they are making a living wage, and that cost is baked into the food, and we tip because waitstaff typically get paid $2/hr and the food is cheaper.

But in Seattle the food is 20% more to pay for that labor, and it is expected to tip another 20%, why because Seattle is expensive?

You're already paying the tip.

Old 03-14-2017, 03:24 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire1 View Post
These fast food workers, waitstaff and others are now upset since the larger checks they earn no longer allow them to receive food stamps or medicaid.
They feel they should still get all the entitlements.
I would be too. We need Robots.

Old 03-14-2017, 03:28 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Excellent post. I assume the grumblers were never depending on tips to pay the rent. Having been there, I will never stiff a server except in the most extreme cases of bad service. In addition, that tip they complain about is often divided up among other non-serving staff. Tipping is an opportunity everyone has to directly share their good fortune with others not so fortunate.
After 4 months in Europe, I have a different opinion now. We need reform. Pay them the proper wage but no more tips, it shouldn't be part of the expected income from the job. My husband used to tell me, it's like an insult in Europe to leave tip.
People have pride in their job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance