Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 09:11 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,992,995 times

Advertisements

My bank in the middle of nowhere ( north Ozarks of north Arkansas) has a machine right in the lobby.

and some people tell us in the Ozarks to get modern ?

I laugh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 09:15 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandavaran View Post
I just went to my local credit union the other day where I bank. They have a coin machine in the lobby. I dumped my coins in, it counted them, popped out a receipt, then I took the receipt to the window and got nearly 25 bucks cash back with no fee. I don't think you have to be a member to use it. They didn't ask me if I was a member or anything at all for that matter.
We can do that at our credit union too.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:30 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Losing 9-10% is horrible no matter how you slice it
So if you had a million dollars you're ok with losing 100,000?
If your boss said hey you can take a 10% pay cut you're ok with it?
If your house lost 10% in value you're ok with it?
If you had ten $10 bills you're ok with losing a $10 bill.
What if you lost 10% on every transaction you made?

Sorry but no matter how you slice it losing 10% is horrible.

Last time I took change in I had about $1600. I would of been giving $160 to a service simply to count the change. No thanks. I drove to my credit union and used their machine and kept the $160 in MY pocket

Old 03-20-2017, 09:36 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Large national banks have been getting rid of coin counting machines, and or having their tellers count coins for some time now.

The former is the result of lawsuits filed against TD Bank and others alleging under counting. The second is banks often have far fewer tellers than in the past and don't want to tie up that employee's time counting coins I shouldn't wonder.

Wells Fargo eliminates change-counting machines at branches | Local | journalstar.com

It really only is relatively recently IIRC bank tellers counted coins at all. Can recall back in the 1970's and 1980's if you wanted to deposit a large amount of coins they had to be counted and rolled. Still have some of those paper rolls somewhere stashed away! *LOL*

Old 03-20-2017, 09:42 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Where I live, Fred Meyer (Kroger) superrmarkets have a pod of self-checkouts which individually accept most coins (cents - quarters) at face value; that's how I get rid of my change without charge.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:57 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post

Last time I took change in I had about $1600. I would of been giving $160 to a service simply to count the change. No thanks. I drove to my credit union and used their machine and kept the $160 in MY pocket
Do you have trouble reading? If not why are you asking me these questions?

Old 03-20-2017, 10:01 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Think also for many Americans "change" is simply becoming something totally alien. Almost every single thing one once needed coins for in the past (tolls, parking meters, laundromat machines, and so forth), now long have gone over to various electronic cards or devices. In our area they are fast getting rid of toll booths in favor of cashless systems even for those without an EZ-Pass.

When it comes time to pay for anything these most persons swipe/use their bank, credit or charge cards, and or various "app" devices.

Know for a fact my bank saw its coin machines mostly used by people who collect bottles/cans, the homeless and other panhandlers, along with others who merely wanted to convert coins to bills, but didn't have an account with the bank.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:52 PM

17,567 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post

And yet.. People will spend money they don't have and pay 10% or higher interest to a credit card company without batting an eye.

Perhaps it seems lower on change because that is normally 'found money'.

Someone mentioned the TD lawsuit.. Yeah.. that was pretty big and why many banks don't have the machines anymore. The Coinstar machines by and large are considered highly accurate. The ones in banks were horrible, at least the TD ones. One of them was off by 15%. The average being off by $4 on $300 in coins.

So, unless you counted that change first to verify that your credit union machine was accurate.. You very well might have paid $160 to have it counted.. You just didn't know it.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:42 AM

1,780 posts, read 1,203,545 times
I don't save my change. I dump it out of the pocket and next day I put it back in the next pocket so it gets spent and doesn't build up. No big deal.

Old 03-21-2017, 05:57 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,930,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Like most people every day I come home, I empty my pockets and I throw my loose change into a container and when that container fills up I take it in to my local Chase to deposit. It usually comes out to $150 or so. This last time that I went they told me that they do not have the coin counting machines anymore and I would have to roll all the coins to be able to deposit them. Now, I've done this many times before and there was never any issue about it. So this policy change smacks me as a bit narrow minded on their part. I even asked the teller don't you have to still verify that the rolled coins are actually money and he admitted that they have some sort of machine that verifies the coins.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...stomer-service

Since change/coins are legal US currency aren't they obligated to take it, even if I bring a whole bucket full? I realize this is a bit of a minor issue but it just seems that banks handle money and yet they're telling me they can't handle it unless they get it a certain way. Maybe I'll put a little bow on each roll to make them happy.
Your coins are more hassle than they are worth to Chase, by the time they factor in the verification and maintenance on the machines it easier to simply say, nope. Plus if they have made this policy change it is because not enough people where affected by their coin acceptance, hence you were one of the very few who deposited coins.

As for the legal us currency, that is an urban legend that has been going on for years, private businesses are allowed to enact their own policies. Just like convenience stores can refuse to accept $100 bills, banks can say no coins.

Straight from the horses mouth:
https://www.treasury.gov/resource-ce...al-tender.aspx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance