Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 02:38 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,749,557 times

Advertisements

We used Turbo tax to file our return this year which went fine, or so we thought. I had TT submit it electronically to the IRS. Three weeks later we get a letter from the IRS asking us to send copies of the 1st two pages of the 1040 plus a record of all our tax pre-payments (I am retired so have to send pre-payments during the year).

What is weird is that I make pre-payments to the IRS, so they should have a record of that. And I submitted the 1040 electronically, so they should have that too. So why would they ask me to send a paper copy of those things? It is like they received it, but then erased it or something from their system. But they didn't ask for my entire return (which had a lot of schedules and other forms). Weird. I called and asked them what's up and they just told me the same thing the letter said, but didn't explain why.

Anyone else have this happen?

Last edited by TwoByFour; 04-07-2017 at 03:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2017, 02:50 PM

5,450 posts, read 5,678,312 times
When you submit electronically through TurboTax, it should e-mail you a confirmation that your filing has been successfully submitted to the IRS. Did you receive it?

You can also request a copy directly from the IRS of what exactly they have on file for a specific tax year (up to 7 years), but it costs $50 and takes them up to 2 months to send you the results...

Old 04-07-2017, 03:24 PM

Yes, got confirmation that it was received.

Old 04-07-2017, 03:27 PM

128,984 posts, read 11,931,519 times
Does the 1040 have the same socials listed in the same order as the pre payments? One year, we changed around the order on the 1040 to the estimated tax payments & it made a mess. I would comply & just send in the documents they want it doesn't take a lot to make a few copies.

Old 04-07-2017, 03:42 PM

93 posts, read 70,206 times
My assumption (based on 0 experience on the matter) is that it has been flagged for Fraud and they want to verify info.

Old 04-07-2017, 03:45 PM

9,354 posts, read 14,010,665 times
Whenever I used TurboTax and e-filing, the system also told me I had to send a physical copy with attached docs to one of two addresses. One if I owed money and the other if I did not.

Old 04-07-2017, 04:13 PM

7,490 posts, read 13,540,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
We used Turbo tax to file our return this year which went fine, or so we thought. I had TT submit it electronically to the IRS. Three weeks later we get a letter from the IRS asking us to send copies of the 1st two pages of the 1040 plus a record of all our tax pre-payments (I am retired so have to send pre-payments during the year).

<snip>
Do you get Social Security payments/benefits ? If so, are you aware that you can have income tax withholding taken from those payments, to avoid having to make pre-payments ?

See https://www.ssa.gov/planners/taxwithold.html for more info

(Unless your situation is such that your SS income is less than your taxes due )

Old 04-07-2017, 08:29 PM

6,607 posts, read 7,291,546 times
I would call IRS and ask if they sent the request. In the alternative I would look up the irs email address that you would file a paper return with and send them the requested info and the request letter. I would not use the address in the letter they sent you. Does not sound ligit.

Old 04-07-2017, 10:12 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,358,294 times
Maybe the problem is TurboTax. I've come to believe that TurboTax's records may have been hacked.

I used TurboTax for about 10 years. But, when I logged in last year, I got a mesage that TurboTax wanted to verify my identity and was going to send an email to "l*****6@gomybiz.com" to do so.

That email was nothing like my own -- not any part of it. I had never even heard of gomybiz.com. (I googled it and found that it's based in England.) And I had used my regular bookmark, not an email link, to log in.

I contacted TurboTax, first by phone. The English-is-not-my-first-language customer rep was no help at all. She wouldnt transfer me to IT or to Security. So I then emailed spoof@intuit.com. In less than 20 minutes of my doing so, I received an email response that all was ok. How could TurboTax have investigated my situation in such a short time?

I decided, then and there, not to use TurboTax ever again. I've used H&R Block instead and have been very satisfied.

Old 04-08-2017, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Do you get Social Security payments/benefits ? If so, are you aware that you can have income tax withholding taken from those payments, to avoid having to make pre-payments ?
Nope, no SS yet (waiting to 71). Our retirement is funded by investments which generates taxable events.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance