Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 06:08 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,349,532 times

Advertisements

The security of a safe deposit box is that it's locked up in a safe that is much less accessible than any safe in your own home would be with alarm systems and a two-key entry method. All that is out the window when you take the stuff OUT of the box and wear it - that's what you need insurance for - like a rider on your HO - personal articles policy (PIP).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2017, 06:21 AM

24,470 posts, read 10,793,748 times
Would your homeowner's insurance insure an item you do not own and is stored either in someone else's' home or bank deposit box?

Old 04-14-2017, 07:26 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
so there is nothing to protect it in a safety deposit box against something wild happening. Like we have FDIC insurance on our deposits.
Nope, the bank has no idea what's in your safe deposit box. No FDIC insurance whatsoever.

If it were me, I'd put it in a safe at home and get insurance on it. And I'd wear it sometimes.

You're going to have to pay for a safe deposit box, or for insurance. But if it's in a safe deposit box, you're not likely to wear it.

Who actually owns this piece of jewelry?

Old 04-14-2017, 03:39 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,547,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Nope, the bank has no idea what's in your safe deposit box. No FDIC insurance whatsoever.

If it were me, I'd put it in a safe at home and get insurance on it. And I'd wear it sometimes.

You're going to have to pay for a safe deposit box, or for insurance. But if it's in a safe deposit box, you're not likely to wear it.

Who actually owns this piece of jewelry?
That's confusing. My mother wanted to sell it to pay for things she really needed. My brother wanted to give to fiance. My mother agreed IF I agreed. I guess meaning that she saw it as half mine.

I agreed with the caveat that it comes back to my mother if they don't get married or get divorced. There would have to be a pre-nup for it.

They did in fact break up after my mother passed. He keeps saying the ring is ours but he doesn't mean it, lol. He can give lip service by saying that since his caveat is that it's his to give to his next fiance. Which won't exist - an entirely other matter - but I am not out to fight with him over it.

I just thought it only fair for it to be in safety deposit box with me named as beneficiary should anything happen to him I can retrieve it w/o needing to go through expense of probate.

I would do that for him if situation was reversed.

Old 04-15-2017, 06:58 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,523,752 times
Unless you have this in writing, you are worried about something that is your brother's.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:32 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,944,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Unless you have this in writing, you are worried about something that is your brother's.
Agreed. This is all theoretical about an object of which the OP may never have physical possession.

She should be aware that should her brother pass suddenly, whoever he happens to be living with at the time is likely to help themselves to the valuables. Or even a friend. Then good luck in getting it back.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:30 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,547,309 times
Quote:

I just thought it only fair for it to be in safety deposit box with me named as beneficiary should anything happen to him I can retrieve it w/o needing to go through expense of probate.

Old 04-19-2017, 06:29 AM

24,470 posts, read 10,793,748 times
Quote:
That's confusing. My mother wanted to sell it to pay for things she really needed. My brother wanted to give to fiance. My mother agreed IF I agreed. I guess meaning that she saw it as half mine.

I agreed with the caveat that it comes back to my mother if they don't get married or get divorced. There would have to be a pre-nup for it.

They did in fact break up after my mother passed. He keeps saying the ring is ours but he doesn't mean it, lol. He can give lip service by saying that since his caveat is that it's his to give to his next fiance. Which won't exist - an entirely other matter - but I am not out to fight with him over it.

What you would or would not do is irrelevant. It was given to your brother who is in possession and does not seem to want to change that. Your mother is gone so it cannot go back to her. Unless you are named in his last will what do you want to go through probate for?

Old 04-19-2017, 06:54 AM

17,262 posts, read 21,991,461 times
Ever consider it is long gone? Either fiancee didn't return it or your brother pawned/sold it for cash?

Old 04-19-2017, 07:05 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,930,065 times
Quote:

Unless you have legal written documentation to outline the ownership of the piece, you have no say. He said/She said doesn't hold up and fair doesn't matter, nor what you would do.

Sounds like he owns it and has no intention of letting you have it, so find a way to move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance