Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 10:35 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times

Advertisements

For about a year, my local Kroger store had 2-liter Big K soda discounted to 79 cents from a previous price of 89 cents.

Now they are "final price 59 cents each when you buy 4 in one transaction." That sounded to me a lot like "buy three at the previous price (79 cents) and get one free" - what's not to like? (Turns out that's even one cent better than buy three and get one free.)

So I was surprised to see plenty on the shelves, they're not flying off the shelves as I thought they would.

The state-mandated bottle deposit went up on April 1 from 5 cents to 10 cents - could the deposit increase be hurting sales?

Even with the 5-cent increase in the bottle deposit, buying four at 59 cents (69 cents with deposit) is 60 cents cheaper than buying four at 79 cents with a 5-cent deposit. Sounds like a deal to me. Now I'm all set for soda for about the next month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017, 01:29 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
10 cents is not a lot on a heavy item taking up storage space. And it's probably on clearance because most people don't like generic soda to begin with. I buy RC because it's cheaper than coke but tastes the same to me. Growing up it wasn't seen as an '0ff-brand'. It could be bought in machines competing with coke.

Old 04-16-2017, 02:12 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,251,947 times
Shouldn't this be in the frugal living forum.... Counting pennies instead of dollars.

Old 04-16-2017, 05:00 PM

683 posts, read 1,883,393 times
To me, it sounds like saving 20 cents per bottle is just not that exciting to very many people. I only stock up on things when it is a significant savings.

Old 04-19-2017, 03:29 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
If you drink soda, that is a good deal. I don't think 10 cent deposit makes any difference, because you can get that back.

We stopped returning bottles, waiting for the deposit to go up. We have the room to store 5 cent bottles for few months to wait and turn them in for 10 cents. (That penny pinching is cancelled out because I am in idaho where there is no deposit on water bottles, but the bottles are marked for return in oregon. I'm throwing them away because I don't want to haul them back to oregon.)

I don't think the increased bottle return amount will affect littering, but it does put more money into the pocket of the homeless who pick them up and turn them in. More money for cheap wine. They pick up the soda bottle litter and replace it with the litter of their brown paper bag and empty thunderbird bottle.

Old 04-19-2017, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
If you drink soda, that is a good deal. I don't think 10 cent deposit makes any difference, because you can get that back.

We stopped returning bottles, waiting for the deposit to go up. We have the room to store 5 cent bottles for few months to wait and turn them in for 10 cents. (That penny pinching is cancelled out because I am in idaho where there is no deposit on water bottles, but the bottles are marked for return in oregon. I'm throwing them away because I don't want to haul them back to oregon.)

I don't think the increased bottle return amount will affect littering, but it does put more money into the pocket of the homeless who pick them up and turn them in. More money for cheap wine. They pick up the soda bottle litter and replace it with the litter of their brown paper bag and empty thunderbird bottle.
We don't get anything for any kind of bottle here. Only collecting aluminum cans. There are some poor people who live in my complex - I guess they can barely afford to keep it. The man collects aluminum cans for money.

I've thought of starting some type of drive for people to please deposit them in a certain place for him but IDK how to go about it. To me, if people are willing to walk or drive to our one and only recycling bin rather then their closest dumpster, why not drop the cans separately?

I'm glad this came up. I'm putting mine in a box next to that recycling bin from now on. Already there is an unspoken rule to place things people might want next to, not in the dumpster. I love this when I don't want to drive to goodwill but don't want things to waste! Someone picked up my espresso machine that had been used twice.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:02 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

Except that the newfangled "bottle drop" redemption centers make getting that dime back inconvenient. Used to be you could return your bottles where you bought them. Instead of returning bottles to Freedy's or Safeway - readily accessible - they now must go to Delta Park (no transit access) or Halsey / 122nd.

My plans for this year include getting a home carbonation system / device and ditching the bottles entirely.

Old 04-20-2017, 07:31 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Except that the newfangled "bottle drop" redemption centers make getting that dime back inconvenient. Used to be you could return your bottles where you bought them. Instead of returning bottles to Freedy's or Safeway - readily accessible - they now must go to Delta Park (no transit access) or Halsey / 122nd.

My plans for this year include getting a home carbonation system / device and ditching the bottles entirely.
I don't know if it is state wide, but at the local bottle drop, if you use the bag drop where the collection people count your bottles and put the refund onto your account, there are two stores where you can take your refund out at the store and they will double it for store purchases. I know that fred meyer is one of the stores but I can't remember what the other one is.

In summery, you drop a dollar's worth of bottles at the redemption center and get two dollars of groceries at freddy's.

Do the math really carefully on that home carbination system. A friend of mine bought a system and the soda cost a lot more than promisdd. The amount of syrup used to demonstrate the cheap cost wasn't enough to barely flavor the water. The amount of syrup to make the soda taste like store bought brought the cost up to the same as store bought.

I know that soda syrup is cheap when bought in the huge bags for the soda machines at the convenience stores, but that is too much syrup for home use. I'm pretty sure it goes bad (ferments) if it isn't used by the expiration date.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:57 AM

7,538 posts, read 17,221,758 times
People still drink soda?

Old 04-20-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
People still drink soda?
lol. I'm trying to quit. It would not help to get a soda machine! I'm trying to drink only tea, and I keep putting less and less sugar in that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance